NY - On the Beach CD - Big $$$$

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

The seller must be getting a little nervous

..........especially at the sight of those shades on the high bidder!

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

What's the line on this one - the seller had an opening bid set at 3.99 which seems to imply that they didn't expect a four figure auction :eek: - not being in the know on N.Y stuff is this some kind of legendary "Holy Grail" type of album :confused:

All the best - Andrew

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Hate to be a pessimist, but I don't think the seller is going to be seeing that kind of money arriving in his or her mail box.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I found a great- sounding twofer CDR of OTB and AMERICAN STARS 'N BARS in a used shop recently for 11.99.

More to the point, since this is clearly a boot, shouldn't eBay be notified?

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Often when fans of the artist see an auction that is clearly fraudulent they create false ebay accounts and place outrageous bids to ensure that nobody gets duped on the auction. An example of this was the recent ebay auction of a Nirvana Unplugged CD signed by Cobain (Kurt died before this was released.) Nirvana fans saw the auction and placed outrageous bids up to 5 million dollars....

Chris

8. Mike

Mike New Member

Why should ebay be notified? You got yours, let someone else get theirs. :)

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think people are going crazy because of the pretty clear jewel case and album cover. It looks like something a major label would put out or better. Not worth that kind of money though especially since they will come out legit sometime (in the next 30 years).

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

This is one of the six that was never released on CD.

So far.... unless you do your own transfer.

I presume you do not own a copy, Andrew?

11. Going to take my "On The Beach" to Loyalty Sound tomorrow for a cleaning on the VPI machine. Then I'll be doing a needle drop with my new Rega Planer 3 turntable and Rega cartridge. I will save my $4000.00 Canadian for something else, like a Beatles mono LP box set. Well, actually I don't have $4000.00, but if I did, I'd be grabbing some rare Beatles LPs such as the U.K. monos or the Japanese monos on red vinyl. That sort of stuff. :)

Current bid on that Neil Young CD is aproximately $4,052.54 Canadian.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2525091715&category=1573
    That is mind boggling.

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I bought exactly the same CD as the one on Ebay from a forum member for $50. It is a high quality German CD with a needle drop "On the Beach" (from a slightly better source LP than the one I have on hand) and a bonus of the BBC '72 concert, which is the best live Neil boot I have ever heard. Blew me away the first time I heard it - better sound quality than the On the Beach part. It was definetly worth $50 to me, but this Ebay bidding is crazy.

13. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

I picked up a really nice original Reprise at a used vinyl joint here in Brookline for $13.00. They wanted $50.00 but I guess maybe I have a knack or something. Anyway, mint cover with slight surface scuffing, (not even scratching), on the vinyl. Plays and sounds great and made me feel like I'd scored a winner for once.

Bill

14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

OMG, this price is amazing. I have all of these except "Reactor," which I have been looking for. That price is obscene. I traded for mine. No money changed hands.

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have the same disc that Randy W has and it is a good needle drop. I paid thirty dollars on e-bay for it and I am quite happy with it. If you can find a copy or someone is willing to trade for it, I highly recommend it. O course, $2,785.13 is WAY to much :eek:

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Interesting! I never thought of this possibility before!

I remember looking at VHS tapes of Get Smart on eBay once. This was before the TV Land programming. Two bidders... someone "bought" it for $800.00 or $900.00 US. I emailed the seller and he said he'll make me a copy from his masters for a mere $200.00 US.

:rolleyes:

These were copies made off of CKVR TV here in Canada.

So I'll bet that this seller will make a CDR of it for you for a mere... $200.00?

Final price: $2,785.00 US.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have that! albeit on a different label.

people are goofy.

renny

18. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

So, who ended up getting stuck with the $5 mil. tab once the auction closed? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.