NYC LP Stores (New York City)*

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bliss53, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Rebel Rebel in the West Village is a nice store. The prices are reasonable for a NYC shop and the owner, David, is truly a good guy.

2. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

You want to hook up with the G train (which only serves Brooklyn and Queens) take the G to Greenpoint Ave and walk north along Manhattan Ave. It will be on your right.

The best way to get to the G:

If you are coming from lower Manhattan - take the A or the C Downtown/Brooklyn and get off at Hoyt-Schemerhorn. Cross the tracks to the G and take that towards Queens and get off at Greenpoint.

If you are coming from midtown or above, the best way is probably to take the 7, E or M to Court Square and transfer to the G and then head towards Brooklyn on the G and get off at Greenpoint.

For the most accurate directions go to hopstop.com and type in where you are coming from and where you are going and it will tell you the best subway route. Hope this helps.

Jeeves#9 likes this.
  3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Gimme Gimme used to be the best, but they closed down and moved to L.A.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks Clive!

5. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I think there is a record store right across the street from The Strand bookstore...

6. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

You are probably thinking of Second Hand Rose. Not my fave.

7. japes

japes Senior Member

8. japes

japes Senior Member

9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I was there yesterday and indeed they have good stuff/good prices! Thanks for the tip!

Bryce likes this.
  10. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am living in Indonesia, and swinging by Gimme Gimme NYC was one of the things keeping me going…. hell.

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Any luck finding Dara Puspita records?

12. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

change is now...

Bleecker Street Records is moving around the corner to 188 West 4th Street, Manhattan:
    http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2013/08/bleecker-street-records.html

Academy Records is moving from Williamsburg, Brooklyn to Greenpoint, Brooklyn:
    http://greenpointers.com/2013/07/18/academy-record-annex-comes-to-oak-st-in-greenpoint/

Earwax Records moved from Bedford Avenue to North 9th Street in Williamsburg:
    www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/07/earwax_records.html

A new store, Captured Tracks, is opening in Greenpoint:
    http://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...-captured-tracks-is-opening-a-retail-store-qa

13. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I guess Greenpoint is the new Willyburg.

The new location for Bleecker St. records is on the same block where Discorama origianlly was

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

I have e-mailed several NYC stores regarding new releases and am awaiting their replies.
    In the meantime, I am out of touch with which stores carry new rock'n'roll releases; LP's and/or CD's these days.
    Can someone please give me a summary of my best chances purchasing these in-store?
    Thanks in advance :righton:

15. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

16. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Academy is a great store, both the Village and Brooklyn locations. Now that they have moved to Greenpoint, its a little less convienent, but maybe I'll make a trip to Academy and to Record Grouch soon.

18. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

If you're brave, don't forget "The Thing", near Record Grouch!

19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Why brave?

20. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Have you been there? It's a low-ceilinged basement with about a million beat-up LPs arranged in several floor to ceiling aisles with the records in no order whatsoever. I'm sure you could find some things to buy in there, but it would take weeks to get through the whole thing.

P.S. Watch your head when going down the stairs.

21. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Anyone here know where one can source Music on Vinyl releases in New York (other than J&R)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.