NYC record stores ‘open now’

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by OneLife, May 4, 2022.

1. I was thinking the exact same thing.

DoubleM likes this.
  2. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

From my experience in different NYC record stores (often while browsing through bins in the store I hear such conversation between owner/clerk and person willing to sell records). They ALL will try to rip You off! There's no other way, best case scenario, maybe they will offer You 1/4 of the actual value.

Actually, right now I have about 300 records that I no longer need, the ones that I already upgraded to much better pressings, still a lot of them much better/rarer than stuff I see nowadays in any local store. Any time I tried to sell something to the store, I was lowballed to the point it was just insulting.
    Considering that, I don't like selling through internet, can't stand dealing with all kinds of idiots and crooks, maybe one day I will buy a table at some record fair and try to sell it there, not even for the profit, but at least to get back whatever I spent on them. Until then, I'd rather give some of them away to friends or even dump some of them, but I will never bring any of this stuff to record store - to make any of this crooks rich :mad:.

ted321 and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  3. ChickenringNYC

ChickenringNYC Forum Resident

Do you use Discogs to catalog your stuff? Could just make a folder marked "For Sale" and share it with US. We would never low-ball you if there are titles we want... Right everyone? :agree:

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Factor in the expense of buying mailers, standing on line at the post office -- in my case having to get on a bus or streetcar to GET to a post office because the one in our neighborhood was condemned and they can't be arsed to repair or replace it -- mailing costs...there's a reason my culls just go out on the stoop for whoever wants them.

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

NYC is the King Kong city of lowballing...for decades. If you get 20% you will be lucky.

kt66brooklyn likes this.