NYPD Blue Question???

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

NYPD Blue vanished from the airwaves here in Florida a few weeks ago...Anyone know where it went???
    or where it's going?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

For the moment, it's off the schedule, I believe, replaced by a reality show, THE FAMILY. When sweeps time comes up, I'm sure it'll be back. Over the years, ABC has pulled this on occasion, mostly because the time slot is coveted and they think putting a new show in there will pull viewers who will then follow the show when it moves to another night. Doubtful the network would move NYPD; a show's quality often means less than where it is on the schedule, and since it's been going well for this long, they'd be crazy to mess with it.

ED:cool:

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

4. Michael

A kick in the ass to the true long time fans! They Suck!
    Hey, I'm still enoying that nude scene...

5. Michael

This is a specific NYPD question...thanks for the reminder.

6. Khorn

I'm still having trouble sleeping after they started showing a higher definition Dennis Franz. :eek: I wonder if that's why the cast keeps on changing? They get to see him live & up close. :D :D :D

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I read somewhere on the internet (don't remember where - sorry) that NYPD Blue will be back on April 8th.

When the last new episode aired a few weeks ago, when there were no coming attractions at the end, I figured that would just mean a repeat the following week. Of course, that didn't happen. Over the years, ABC has shuffled NYPD around quite a few times, with various new shows taking their time slot, even to the point of moving NYPD to a different time slot, and leaving it there for some time, instead of just a short hiatius. Every time a "replacement" show has taken over the NYPD Tuesday 10:00pm time slot over the years, I would just ignore the new show, even after that show was moved and NYPD got it's slot back - sort of a "How dare they!" reaction to that new show bumping NYPD that I could never forgive the new show for.

There was a year or two that NYPD wasn't what it once was, but that didn't last and the show's been really good the last year or two. It's funny, but if not for all the different cast changes over the years, I don't think the show would have survived - they probably would have run out of ideas and the show would have gotten stale. It couldn't survive without Dennis Franz though. I've watched it from its start, and probably haven't missed more than about 6 episodes over the years.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

One hour dramas typically do not fare well in re-runs. For the last few years, ABC has shown few, if any, re-runs of NYPD Blue.

Regards,

9. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I know you're just kidding, but apparently he's a pleasure to work with, and a really nice guy.

10. Khorn

Of course I'm kidding. What amazes me is how he maintains the high anxiety output in the portrayal of his character.

If you like Dennis check out the link to a film (American Buffalo -1996) he did with Dustin Hoffman. This is essentially a two man play although another character is introduced with a comparatively minor role. The film was panned but I think it is a really good effort by Dennis and Dustin. Read about it at the link and, if you can see any interest, I recommend it but, be warned, this is no "action flick"

IMHO really good Franz-Hoffman Movie

11. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Khorn,

Yes, I admire Dennis Franz and other actors who just seem to be able to inhabit their roles and not do anything overtly actorish (Robert Duvall, Bob Hoskins, William H. Macy, Diane Keaton, Sissy Spacek, Frances McDormand ... the list is very long). I too find it amazing how well he portrays Sipowicz as a frequently nasty piece of work when everyone he works with says how low-key and likeable he is in real life.

Sold! :D

12. Michael

OH YEA...Dennis is great...enjy his part immensely...Is he lucky or what?

13. Michael

Rumor has it...I like 'em..

14. Michael

Dennis's talent level runs high...He is a wonderful actor...

15. Michael

I think the current cast is tops since the beginning...all ego's in check! Sipowicz's current squeeze is amazing...

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The problem I have with the current cast is that all the recent additions are just too damn attractive. The original cast featured actors that (for the most part) looked like normal people. Even the supposed "sex symbol" of the early days, David Caruso, was just a normal average looking guy. But lately, every new face that shows up looks like a professional model. I mean, sure part of me is glad to have Charlotte Ross around, but how realistic is it to have all those beautiful people in the squad? Also, I wish there were some older detectives. Aside from Detective Medavoy, Sipowicz has no peers in his age group anymore.

17. Michael

I don't Think Sipo gives a S**T, He's too busy boppin Ross...I dunno, I really like the current cast...I enjoy seeing the younger players in contrast with the old...I like Lou's part also, I found it refreshing when he was shinning in those few epys with his ex wife. So does my wife...Funny I've been watching Blue since the beginning...My wife had no interest until recently...now she makes sure the VCR is set every week...and on Weds The New Twilight Zone!

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The thing that bugs me (and I love the show and watch when I can), is that for the first seasons there were actually extras running around making it seem like they were in a police station. Now, it seems like it's just those 8 people in the entire building.

Reminds me of the old Star Trek series; it was supposed to be this giant ship, but we only saw the same 8 people over and over (unless a stranger appeared, and then it was just to get killed in the episode).
    :)

Dennis is a great guy, NOTHING like his character on the show. I don't know how he does it.

The episodes where Bobby was breathing his last were classic TV. The best!

19. Michael

Talent Baby Talent! I crack up everytime I see Dennis in the Die Hard
    Movie... and yes, those scenes were heavy with Bobby...

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, those were standouts - really great and sad.

I remember one of the earliest episodes after Jimmy Smits came on the show that was really good had a moment where they first show Bobby and Andy starting to bond. They were in the car together singing "Duke of Earl". Very funny.

That for sure. Charlotte Ross is a beautiful woman - seems to be a real natural beauty that wakes up in the morning and looks great (though I haven't had the pleasure to find out ;)). She's good on the show.

I remember when she was on David Letterman once - Wow :). Probably the worst interview I'd ever seen him do - he didn't seem to be able to stay focused on the interview too well. I thought he was going to either start drooling or foaming at the mouth! Fun to watch though - made for great television.

21. Khorn

Did you ever have the chance to see Charlotte on the series "Beggars and Choosers"? She did a truly great job on a series that was vastly underrated.

For those not familiar here is a link to a description. If you ever have the chance to check it out, don't pass it up.

Beggars and Choosers a great show

22. Michael

I was shocked at Ross's nude scene! Heavy duty...I guess they figured they end it there before the sweeps!

23. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

You need to hop on over to the PETA web page.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Whoa, come to Butthead"!

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!:love: :)
    Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.