Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

this is an interesting demo version of songbird with apparently johnny marr and no noel.

2. Since we're still on the subject of the Heathen Chemistry era, it's claimed that Noel's demo for Little By Little - as released on the DVD edition of the song's single, a double a-side with She Is Love - was just an alternate vocal take from after the album mix had already been completed because he supposedly couldn't find his original home recording, which dated back to the "SOTSOG" period, yet wasn't included on any of the 1998 or 1999 compilations that have found their way into the hands of collectors, suggesting it was quickly misplaced. Then again, maybe it never existed to start with, but that's not to say the song wasn't penned in 1998, as Noel once mentioned it was the product of initial sessions in France, where he also made the Force Of Nature demo that went on to be used in Love, Honor & Obey (as was often the case with material from this period, there's very little difference between the version heard in that movie and what featured on Heathen Chemistry). Of all the demos from this album, Songbird and The Hindu Times are the most interesting... Didn't Noel once say he drastically overhauled The Hindu Times because the world needed a more uplifting anthem following recent world events at the time? Little did he know that Stop Crying Your Heart Out would end up played over the credits of terrestrial coverage here in the UK when England crashed out of the World Cup!

NunoBento and PhantomStranger like this.
  3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Not often that a demo is more embellished than the final version.

NunoBento likes this.
  4. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I love Liam's vocal on the released version, but the Noel demo of "Crying" has always been a favorite of mine. Nice drone thing going on.

Rocketdog, Harmonator and Erik B. like this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Heathen Chemistry is three and a half A-/B+ singles, a harmless Gem rocker, and then...Liam songs, for some reason. All of the b-sides would've easily upped the quality of the album had they replaced Liam's tunes, even though it might've made the album a bit of a dirge overall. I love "Idler's Dream" and "Thank You For The Good Times" quite a bit, and remember at this point Noel had "Revolution Song" and "Stop The Clocks" in his pocket, and chose not to use them, for whatever reason.

Sidenote: that I can't get this album on a single LP even though it's only 43 minutes long is maddening.

6. Haristar

What's the general opinion on the classic line up (Liam, Noel, Bonehead, Guigsy, Tony/Alan) versus the later line up (Liam, Noel, Gem, Andy, Alan/Zak/Chris)?

7. BadJack

Tough to say. Obviously the earlier line-up had the benefit of Noel's hottest streak of songs. The later players are mostly technically better but there was a certain charm to the simplicity of Bonehead/Guigsy/Tony.

This confusion is what always puzzles me when reunion rumors turn up. Noel and Liam are obvious , but...Bonehead and Gem? Guigs and Andy Bell on guitar?

NunoBento and Haristar like this.
  8. Haristar

Firstly I reckon Gem and Chris would definitely be involved, seeing as Gem is a good mate of Noel's and he might not do a reunion without him, and both Liam and Noel seem to get on with Chris great so he's also a given. Bonehead could be involved, as he's been seen playing with Liam fairly recently, but with both Noel and Gem on guitar, what would he play?

Not sure about Andy as isn't he back with his old band now? Not sure about Guigs either. So that leaves the bass player slot open... Maybe the High Flying Birds bassist?

BadJack likes this.
  9. BadJack

Yes, Andy's back in Ride. As I may have said in another thread, I love Ride, think their new album's great, and think that Andy belongs on lead guitar, so I'd actually be rather annoyed if he rejoined Oasis. On the other hand, he seems like a nice guy so I'd be happy if he got a nice check out of it.

So are we basically looking at the High Flying Birds with Liam, and maybe Bonehead showing up like Steven Adler did with the GNR shows?

I'm not really one for a reunion, to be honest. I'd still go if it came around, of course.

mindgames and Haristar like this.
  10. Haristar

Imagine the songs they would play... not just Oasis songs, but High Flying Birds songs with Liam singing and Beady Eye/solo Liam songs with Noel playing on? :drool:

Erik B., BadJack and Favre508 like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

we can only wish. It'll happen. Hopefully I will still be around when it does.

NunoBento, Favre508 and Haristar like this.
  12. The musicians are much tighter in the second line-up. I also think Noel has gotten much better over the years as a musician. The original line-up had a raw, unpolished feel to their sound that sometimes worked well for the rockers, but weren't quite as sweet on the slower tempo songs.

13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I don't want them to get back together. It would be a disgusting display of money-grubbing rock n roll garbage. I love Noel's new album. Liam's isn't as good, but it's way better than I thought it would be. They're doing well. Move forward.

Harmonator and BadJack like this.
  14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Noel is that you ?

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Haven't listened to this one in a long time. It is much better than I remember. The one after was god awful. A moderate rebound with Dig Out Your Soul.

Originally thought they cancelled this tour in the States in my neck of the woods. Nope. Played about 2.5 hours and 6 hours away from me. Too far for a starving law student to travel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

17. BadJack

I don't really love either one of the new albums, but I suppose we'll get to that eventually.

18. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Liam recently said in interview he liked the original straight up attitude, that it ended up being a bit too 'muso' for his liking in the later years. Having grown up with the band, id rather see a show in 1995 with Tony Mcarrol than in 2005 with the later lineup

19. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Like Badjack said above, Noel's songs were a lot more consistent early on so that tips the scales a little towards the band playing them, but it would be really hard to choose any players above Gem, Andy and Zak for playing rock songs. Those guys really tightened up the sound and their chops were heads and shoulders above the earlier incarnation.

20. Haristar

I agree. Yes the best songs come from the 94 - 97 period, but when it comes to the technical skills of the band itself, the later line up (in particular Gem, Andy and Zak) is easily better.

21. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Liam was asked on twitter today why didn't he reunite with the original oasis, without noel. he said he'd asked them but they said no. who knows if he's joking or not.

BadJack likes this.
  22. BadJack

I saw that Bonehead replied with, "Ahem." Ha.

23. Whoa whoa whoa - I must disagree strongly that Don't Believe The Truth was god awful. I think it's a better album than Heathen Chemistry by some margin.

24. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

25. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.