Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've always wondered if that entire Unplugged fight was staged on some level between the brothers. They thought their brawling antics, which had been successful in the UK press, would translate to the American market. Did Noel have a solo career in the back of his mind already?

If it was planned in advance, it was a drastic mistake that all but killed their popularity in the biggest English-speaking music market in the world. I say this as someone that believes they are one of the greatest Rock acts of all time.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  2. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Liam is up in one of the audience boxes, smoking drinking and heckling Noel during the set. Theres a moment where Noel looks up at the heckling and says ' oh there you are'

3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

That's the one. Liam was watching his sole role in the band slide away that day.

NunoBento likes this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I love the Gallagher bros., but they're not that smart. All this situation did was force Liam to relinquish some control of the band going forward. No way that was staged. His "hangover" screwed him over and he knew/knows it.

Aftermath and NunoBento like this.
  5. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Similar to how when Liam left them stranded for those USA gigs thinking the band would hault for him, Noel said no chance, singing those shows himself. Cant recall if the Unplugged was after those dates though. In later years Liam became more annoyed always walking on/off stage for the Noel tunes, but as you point out, he brought it on himself

6. If you want to see an even more extreme case of self-sabotage on home soil, just check out the Wembley show from 2000... Not the first night that would form the core of Familiar To Millions, but rather the following evening, as broadcast live on Sky One. In addition to being off his face, Liam was in a particularly confrontational mood, having recently come home to find that Patsy Kensit had cleared him out, allegedly leaving no furniture and just a teabag - or so he kept insisting between what felt like every odd track, much to Noel's visible irritation! I suspect that one performance did more damage to Oasis' reputation than all the previous years of the Gallaghers increasingly becoming tabloid staples, and it truly was "Car Crash TV" at its worst (which I say as a massive fan). Heathen Chemistry managed to come very close, but that was a studio project. In terms of their live presence, I felt the magic was lost after this point, with not even their supposedly triumphant homecoming set of 2005 doing enough to convince me that I was looking at anything except a band just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

NunoBento and walrus like this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really don't think it was staged at all. Noel is a smart guy, he knew the band was bigger than he was, and he knew Liam was the better voice for most of the songs he wrote. I remember when Liam also bailed on the first gig of the subsequent US tour, and then delivered a drunken performance on the MTV awards a week later. It's just Liam being Liam. As sad as I am that the band came to an end, I honestly don't blame Noel one bit for ending the band. (Although I will always think walking out minutes before a massive gig was pretty crappy...at least do the set and then leave. But I know we don't always make the best decisions in the middle of fights)

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I've read that the live album of the first night was released largely to undo the damage caused by that 2nd night being broadcast, but I don't know how true that is.

NunoBento likes this.
  9. Now you mention it, I seem to recall this being mentioned on some Oasis fan message board around that time...

10. George P

George P Notable Member

I recall seeing Oasis at the MTV video awards show. At the time, I didn't know them and found Liam's stage manner absolutely repellent. It was as if he wanted you to hate him. A year or so later I got into them after buying their third album. I really loved them, but did not put them together with the band I had seen on the VMAs. I think that was a good thing.

11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Finally found it........

[​IMG]

NunoBento, Hep Alien, LarsO and 5 others like this.
  12. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I listen to Dig Out Your Soul as a stand-alone, never when I'm doing Oasis' listening. To me, it's entirely different from all things Oasis preceeding it. I'd put it aside for while, thinking it was just okay - until reaching for it, again, & hearing it anew, liked it then & still give it a listen, but by itself...

Oasis' other works are given more frequent play. Thankfully, I'd made a purch. from a seller who became both friend & bootleg mentor, so I have loads of Oasis to listen to & watch/DVD. They didn't release much live on major labels, or their own, Big Brother, but they toured constantly & that seemed to be huge font for bootlegs - primarily Kiss The Stone & The Godfather Records excellent soundboard recordings, along with Ultimate Sound & Polar Bear.

Most recent listens:
    (just last week)
    The Fab Five - Oxygen
    (Live @ Cardiff, Wales March 1996)
    The White Room Sessions December 1995)

Made in America - Kiss The Stone
    (The Patriot Centre, Fairfax, VA 1996)

The Builders of Their Destiny - Ultimate Sound
    Barrowlands, Scotland (10 Years of Noise & Confusion Tour) 2001

I don't think they were so completely washed up, though never nearing the earlier heights. Stop Crying Your Heart Out was big hit &
    on cult film The Butterfly Effect and Lyla (Don't Believe The Truth) went to #1 UK charts.

Much prefer Beady Eye's Dig Out Your Soul over BE. BE's been waste of $ for me.
    Funny, though, that Liam & band did same thing Noel did over the years, leaving the best songs as B-sides: Man of Misery and Sons of the Stage.
    Contained on later, deluxe reissue - Also on Sons of The Stage CD - The Godfather Records
    W/song Sons of the Stage also being on News of the World, which I think was a mag. advert. I have it; don't remember how.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. Oasis may be the most booted group from the 1990s. Prices have come down on the pressed boots in recent years, they are more affordable now than ten or twenty years ago.

I'd recommend exploring some of their Japanese concert performances. I still have no idea why Oasis picked one of their most perfunctory concert performances for their only official live album.

Erik B. likes this.
  15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

A big efff u to fans, especially American fans ?

17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

How has Oasis not released a second B-sides compilation, a follow-up to The Masterplan, that covers 2000 - 2008?

Let's All Make Believe would make a great title, too.

18. beatleroadie

SotSoG is a solid record. Slightly odd tracklist with two Noel-sung tunes in a row, though. I'd have subbed in "Let's All Make Believe" of course, and cut the poor "I Can See a Liar."

Something like:

1. F****** in the Bushes
    2. Go Let It Out
    3. Who Feels Love
    4. Sunday Morning Call
    5. Gas Panic!

6. Let's All Make Believe
    7. Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is
    8. Where Did it All Go Wrong?
    9. Little James
    10. Roll It Over

Erik B. likes this.
  19. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

substitute 'Little James' (& + or' PYMWYMI') with 'Full On' (Liam sung version) then you might have a case.

beatleroadie likes this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

You seem like a nice fellow, but with the exception of your 1 and 2, which I agree with, this is a schiite list. DBTT is a hard 7 ... like shouldn’t even be near the rest of the top 6.

21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

"Opinion" we all have one, and mine is as valid as yours :)

Don't believe The Truth is an album I have always really enjoyed, and find stronger than everything except those top 2.

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

garbage. Mucky finger, Lyla :hurl::hurlleft:.... plus the sound is headache inducing .

And I am a huge Oasis fan.

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Ok great I'm glad you know your own mind, but that has no effect on where I place the albums in my least to most favourite list. Just as you shouldn't place it any higher in your list just because it doesn't tally with my preference.

24. beatleroadie

I haven't heard that one...Got a link?

25. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Watched the whole thing and I think I agree more with this list than your James Bond one.

My rankings which no one else will agree with:
    1 Story
    2 Truth
    3 Soul
    4 Maybe
    5 Giants
    6 Heathen
    7 Now

and I like What Is Love, it has that Beatles 67 Indian vibe.

OobuJoobu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.