Ob-la—di-Ob-La-da best pop-song ever --here is the proof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

It's one of my top Beatles songs for sure. I'm also impressed with Gabriela Bee's version. She did a great update for her
    generation & made a cool video too. Check it out:

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

4. tages

tages Senior Member

Breathtaking analysis and beautifully put :D

Seriously, can science really determine what the perfect pop song is?

HfxBob likes this.
  5. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Yet another surprising chord change..:whistle:

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

As to the OP it's obviously not the best pop song ever - that title goes to Video Killed The Radio Star. But it's a great pop song regardless - Beatles version topped the charts in 6 countries Marmalade's version in 3.

tages and Hermes like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I have no procent opinion in the matter. Just refered to a scientific study
    :)

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This is starting to bug the OCD-me..
    I played the Anthology ' Obla Di ...' a couple of times just now and I swear that ' s Paul saying that bit at the end.

9. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

By best pop song ever I presume they mean best western pop song ever. Not that it is, remotely, but I'm wondering if that particular bias crept into the study.

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

No. Because there are no objective evaluative facts other than the fact that individuals made the evaluations that they did.

lschwart and Paperback Writer like this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

But why not?

It might not be the favorite cup of tea for you music nerds, but for ordinary people I can believe it.

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

This is embarrassing. The subject line gives credibility to those who are tired of Paul/Beatles threads and fan boys. Would have been a better song if John hadn’t sped it up out of impatience with Paul. The beginning banging on the piano keys is jarring. A crowded overstuffed song that gives me a headache similar to Oh Darling and Long Tall Sally. I would have preferred a slower more mellow reggae vibe. I don’t blame Paul for wanting to promote normalcy and family life to contrast with some of the subject matter of the White Album. But it’s also more pastiche tribute music from Paul spanning many genres on this album.

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Best pop song? Of course not. But when I got the White Album in 1968 to the present
    day, it's always been one of my favorite tracks by them. Why? Because it captures what
    the group was always about....love, peace and happiness.
    If you've seen this year's film "Yesterday", it's the last song performance at the end.
    And you can't not feel happy seeing and hearing what it does for people...a prefect closer to the film.
    I'll post the clip as a spoiler for anyone that hasn't yet seen the film....

BellaLuna likes this.
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It doesn't make sense given the supposed criteria they were using. Apparently this is primarily about "surprising" chord progressions, which is not something found in "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da."

The whole idea of people being more attracted to "surprising" chord progressions doesn't gel with the actual popularity of various music, anyway. Especially not when you look at recent pop charts.

That's one of the many reasons I assumed this study had to be a joke. A lot of recent pop has very repetitive, very non-surprising chord progressions.

juss100 and Hermes like this.
  15. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I agree, and of course there's no greatest pop song ever, but IF the title should go to one song I have no problem with Obladi Oblada. It's a great happy one.

BellaLuna likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

' Obla Di..' is my granddaughter's favourite song. But I hear her trying to sing ' Don' t Let Me Down ' and ' Golden Slumbers ' . She' s not quite two yet. Very encouraging.

BellaLuna and Trixmay 988 like this.
  17. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

That's different to being jealous that he was incapable of writing songs from other's perspective (which he could with those medley songs). Davenav implied there was a jealous aspect there: 'he couldn't do it so he didn't like it when Paul did' implies jealously, which I don't think is true at all. He just didn't like songs like that. Man, he would've really hated The Kinks.

WilliamWes likes this.
  18. coot

coot Forum Resident

Except for having the word "brah" in the song what makes this song their attempt at Reggae?:shrug:

19. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Proof that you CAN polish a turd!

20. Wildest cat from montana

I read somewhere that Lennon really liked ' Wonderboy '. I can see that.
    Also read that McCartney told Dave Davies that he really liked ' See My Friends ' and said he should have written it !

21. Trixmay 988

Yeah I've heard that as well about Lennon.
    Didn't know that about McCartney! I love seeing admiration of other artists.

I was semi-joking based on how The Kinks' subject matter from Face to Face to Arthur (haven't heard anything after yet) seems to be mostly about other people which I always thought funny (not that there's anything wrong with that at all :) ). Wonderboy, Death of a Clown, Polly, Annabelle, Do You Remember Walter?, Monica, Phenomenal Cat and so on. Although most likely many of these songs were about his own experiences from the perspective of someone else.

22. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

It's a good song and I don't particular begrudge it, but I think you've hit the nail on the head here - when you look at songs that people like it ain't ones with strange and surprising chord progressions. If that's what appealed to people then prog tunes would be pop tunes. What's so desperate about this study is it's attempt to isolate the one thing that makes a song great when the realities are that what makes a song great are both multitudinous and quite clearly subjective. And it also changes in people over time. That said - interesting idea. I'm sure the full study shows its aware of its own limitations far more than the reportage does.

Hermes and Terrapin Station like this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Now hang on a minute here....
    Am I reading this right? You haven't heard any Kinks albums after ' Arthur ' ?!!?
    Go get ' Muswell Hillbillies ' immediately.
    And ' Lola..' and ' Schoolboys in Disgrace ' and ' Sleepwalker ' and ' Misfits ' and ' Low Budget ' and....

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Also many of Lennon's Beatles songs were not first person, wasn't till he met Yoko that most of his songs were about his own experiences. He could write anything but probably felt that writing songs not about him or Yoko were beneath him or a waste of time

WilliamWes and Trixmay 988 like this.
  25. Trixmay 988

Haha, yeah, definitely looking forward to listening to more. Especially Muswell and Lola. I only just got into Arthur, even though I know almost all of what came before like the back of my hand. I take a long time to go through band's albums. Arthur hasn't clicked with me yet so I'll stick with that a little longer before I move on :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.