Ob-la—di-Ob-La-da best pop-song ever --here is the proof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

No, I didn’t say or imply jealousy on John’s part. He stated many times that he didn’t like or respect songs not written from a personal introspective perspective.

He wasn’t jealous of Paul’s penchant for portraying others lives and feelings in songs such as Lady Madonna or Eleanor Rigby. He simply couldn’t write about anyone but himself, and didn’t want to.

DK Pete and idreamofpikas like this.
  2. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Fair enough.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Total piece of junk. :laugh:

Wild Horse likes this.
  4. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

i always thought Ob, la-di.. was just part of a scat vocal as part of a demo that made it in final form in the track because they couldn't find the proper lyric to put in place.. and never considered it best pop song. sorry

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

There’s a dominant 7th in there, too, no? Maybe that’s where the “surprise” comes in for this person? :confused:

6. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Compare it with John's opening: "just start take one of the mighty jumbo band!" That's the same voice as at the end.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I like the song (and I’m the type that could do without some of Paul’s stuff), but this is a silly analysis.

8. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been posted already:

9. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

It has the distiction of being the ONLY track on The White Album I skip if at all possible. I never could stand it!

10. Thanks to the study for bringing me my Sunday Funnies, today. LOL

Agree that applying “science” to music is like fitting skinny jeans on elephants.

Ob La Di Ob La Da and another song mentioned - Hooked On A Feeling - both have elements that thousands of other songs have; rythym, vocals, various instrumental sounds and a BEAT. That’s what makes a great pop song.

Back when ”Obla” was released - Reggae was still quite new, so a Beatle song with some of that ( and Ska) influence would add to its uniqueness and appeal.

“Hooked” featured the brilliant pop sparks of an electric sitar performed by studio legend Reggie Young.

So THOSE are the reasons I believe those songs popped up - not their “science”.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hmm... I thought that was Paul as well. Guess I don' t know their voices as well as I thought I did.
    Cheers

12. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The Thatcher family would agree with the findings of this study.

13. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

Maybe they can put Jimmy Scott in the Songwriters Hall of Fame with Mike Love?

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

“Wild Honey Pie” is so much worse...

Crimson jon likes this.
  15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I find it hard to understand that anyone can actively dislike Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da. It s catchy and infectious, a wonderful melody, a nice Ska-influenced back beat and warm lyrics. Ok if one doesn t like it-that I can understand. But to actively dislike a pop-song like this is beyond me. With that said I m not convinced about the schientific report.
    But the song certanely is fun

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ve been surprised to see the amount of disdain it gets on this forum.

17. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Yup he wouldn't but I am not sure i enjoy Revolution #9 , more

18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Really?

One of the reasons it is such a great pop song is that it a earworm, whether you like it or not it sticks in your head. Such songs are always hated because they are inescapable. Other less catchy songs that people don't like are quickly forgotten so escape the hate.

19. GeorgeBaby

GeorgeBaby Forum Resident

The perfect pop song is the one playing during your first kiss.

20. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

21. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

And 7 out of 10 dentists approve certain toothpastes. This proves nothing..

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Well, the chords don't have to be surprising for it to be a great song or a great record...but forget that you'be heard Penny Lane 100,000 times and try to go back to the very first time you heard it...how about the way the key in the main verse turns from major to minor and then following that, the song changes rises in key key altogether...some pretty inventive stuff there, I think.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It all gets down to overplay. When The White Album had first come out "everyone" loved it; had it been put out as a single at *that* time it would been an easy number one record. But of the many extremely well known Beatle songs, this is one which time hasn't been all too kind to.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice song, but no...my Mother loved it!

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, what's their angle? ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.