Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Simple: The plot didn't allow it.:D

Giant Hogweed likes this.
  2. Vinyl is final

For many of us, it really just goes away. We lose interest. I suspect that before the internet and our ability to talk about this stuff, that is what would happen here. Actually, it IS what happened to me regarding the whold Star Wars franchise. I saw the first film 27 times in the theater and built X-wing and Tie Fighter models. I lost interest by the second episode of the prequels. Take away the special effects and there's not much there. Hasn't been for quite a while.

Scott222C likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There were some filler episodes in Clone Wars but in general it, and also even more so with Rebels, were far far better written, directed and (voice) acted than any live action Star Wars product Disney have made and especially compared to the last two live action TV shows.

Proper motivations, logical decisions made by protagonists and not blatantly dumb things.

The most important aspect was that those animated shows actually respected legacy characters, portrayed them well and actually succeeded in building and defining those characters we had seen in the films, especially Anakin.

omikron and Shawn like this.
  4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...or force goats for that matter...

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Which is why I am now convinced that this series is an elaborate Disney marketing research scheme to see how many people will continue to accept the recycling of plots from the OT.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

A few people have pointed out parallels between the four episodes so far and the first four episodes of the movie series (in numerical order):

Episode 1: Tatooine, royal girl on green planet during a trade dispute
    Episode 2: Nighttime chase on city planet, water planet
    Episode 3: lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader, ending in fire
    Episode 4: rescuing Leia from an Imperial prison

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think some people lose interest...life happens. But while I'm no big fan of the prequels (Attack of the Clones being the best of the bunch) I firmly enjoyed the sequel trilogy and have watched those multiple times.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Wow...if that was deliberate Deborah Chow deserves even more praise.

moosebass likes this.
  9. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I had this identical conversation with a Star Wars buddy who also said they're re-plotting the Episodes through the Obi Wan Storyline. As much as the rescue mission is used in every corner of the Star Wars production, I appreciated Episode 4 of Obi because at least there was some plot development, character growth, and anticipations of Obi returning to "full strength" after is original "rusty chops" as a Jedi. It feels like a mix between being clever, pleasing the fans, and being unoriginal. Perhaps they're still searching for what fans want as everyone has mixed reviews on Disney made Star Wars movies, I have a feeling the company is likely looking for what works/lands the best with the audience.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

I mean, when what some fans want is for it to be 1980 again, best of luck, Mickey! :laugh:

11. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

Wanting a return to 1980 is what brings most fans back time and again. The vast majority of Star Wars media is garbage, but fans always hope the next one will live up the legacy of the first 2/3 films.

bru87tr and enro99 like this.
  12. Vinyl is final

I watched the sequel trilogy and thought they were the worst movies of all. Just one example: They broke hyperspace. Honorable mention: The B-17 inspired bombers. I was literally laughing when I saw that.

Scott222C, Isolar801 and Leviethan like this.
  13. Vinyl is final

Yep. I gave up after the prequels. I watched the sequels because I could for free. I laughed way too much. And not in the good way. The series has become a caricature of itself. Another part I'll throw out: When I watched tv sitcoms with my ex-wife back in the late 70's, I said one day that the overall theme was "adults stupid, kids smart". I then noticed another theme: Men bad/stupid, women good/smart. That came home in spades with a TV movie featuring a man and a woman cop and a male antagonist. What I noticed was that the antagonist had the personality of a typical male, while the male cop was basically a male playing a female part. That is, his character was so "female" in its personality that it would have worked better if it had been played as a woman rather than a man. This was in the early 80's sometime.

It kept coming to mind when watching the sequels.

And I think this speaks to why Netflix has changed their approach to this stuff as of late. They would like to stay in business.:)

Scott222C likes this.
  14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

15. SRC

That is very cool. Maybe next episode, they'll give us some carbonite freezing, or at least, a city in the clouds.

16. BeatleJWOL

I'm thinking a hand is coming off.

17. SRC

Heh, I think that is possible, but we've got competition there:

Ep: V: Luke's hand cut off
    Ep VI: Vader's mechanical hand cut off
    Ep II: Female bounty hunter's hand cut off
    Ep III: Both Dooku's hands cut off, Mace Windu loses a hand, two of Grievous's mechanical hands cut off...

And let's not even start about the arms!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

No, it didn't. There is nothing remotely scientifically plausible about an identical species of human being descending from earlier primates "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" and universally speaking 21st century American English. That's just for starters.

Every animal is completely different from animals on Earth, but human beings somehow managed to evolve identically to humans on a planet that is not Earth. They hop from star system to star system like they were going on a short road trip. In a galaxy that was so densely populated with stars to make it feasible to travel from one to another in a few days or hours, it would be impossible for anything to evolve, as planets would be constantly wiped out by supernovae before single-celled life could even form. A galaxy such as that would be lifeless. We don't even have to get into the ridiculousness of a blood parasite granting certain members of a species to defy physics.

With all due respect, you either don't understand what science is, how evolution works, cosmology, or what science fiction is. This is not a knock against Star Wars—I love Star Wars when it's good—but it's ignorant to call it "science fiction."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  19. BeatleJWOL

Hold on. Any story that has human-like figures that aren't from earth and/or has alien language translated for the benefit of the reader can now no longer be sci-fi?

Curveboy and SRC like this.
  20. Gary_Stewart

Science Fiction, by definition, must be scientifically plausible within the contemporary understanding of science. Even if we grant that it is set in the 1977-78 understanding of science... these are not "human-like figures;" they are human beings. Furthermore, there is not a single indication in the entire canon that the dialogue in the movie is being translated. If Star Wars is "science fiction," then Lord of the Rings is too. Being set in outer space is not enough to make something science fiction. Star Wars has zero concern for scientific plausibility, and it makes no excuses; it's a fantasy.

In case you missed my addendum above... every animal in the galaxy is completely different from animals on Earth, but human beings somehow managed to evolve identically to humans on a planet that is not Earth. They hop from star system to star system like they were going on a short road trip. In a galaxy that was so densely populated with stars to make it feasible to travel from one to another in a few days or hours, it would be impossible for anything to evolve, as planets would be constantly wiped out by supernovae before single-celled life could even form. A galaxy such as that would be lifeless.

We don't even have to get into the scientific plausibility of a blood parasite granting certain members of a species to defy physics.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Gary_Stewart

This is why the Pierre Boulle novella, Planet of the Apes, is more science fiction than the original 1968 film. A large portion of the novella is concerned with the astronaut (not called "Taylor" in the book) learning the language of the apes and
    the book doesn't take place on Earth in the future; it's a totally different planet.

Even if we grant that there are degrees of scientific plausibility within what can be called "science fiction," Star Wars registers as a zero. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, both George Lucas and Mark Hammil agree.

Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Gary_Stewart

Christensen was horrible by every account, but a professional actor who took his craft seriously would have taken the time to study James Earl Jones vocal mannerisms—i.e. long exaggerated "S" sounds, and embedded them into the character. It's clear that McGregor spent time studying Guinness.

kouzie, bru87tr and fitzysbuna like this.
  23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Didn’t someone already lose a hand or arm in the first few episodes?

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Which is why you have the more generic pop of Sci-Fi (Star Wars, Babylon 5) vs the hard science of Science Fiction (Star Trek, The Expanse.)

25. Vinyl is final

:D
    [​IMG]

Scott222C and Rosskolnikov like this.