Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe the writers have “fixing” this in mind since they’ve avoided having him call himself “Ben Kenobi” thus far… he’s only used Ben.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I liked the first two episodes and will be back for the remaining ones. I'm not a Star Wars expert so I can watch it with an open mind.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I thought that other Jedi buried them, based on what Obi-Wan told him to do. So days, not years.

CantonJester likes this.
  4. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Oh - I must have missed that. I thought he was digging up his own old stuff since he went to hiding 10 years prior.

5. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

Right - Pretty sure Obi Wan said something flippant about burying his lightsaber in the desert because that part of his life was over.

6. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I took it the other way. Obi Wan did bury his lightsaber ten years ago. Why would that other jedi have Obi Wan and Anakin's sabers?

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I liked it. Great to see Ewan McGregor back. I was unsure about
    the young Leia storyline
    at first, but it's working out fine. I would say the only thing I wasn't crazy about was the soundtrack, it felt a bit less spectacular than what we're used to.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

@wolfyboy3 is correct. Doesn't explain the how the lightsabers were hidden for 10 years.

9. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I turned to my SW expert son, wondering if there’s more than one Pinhead-esque Inquisitor. I was assuming this is the same as the Rebels guy, so that demise, if it happened, didn’t seem to track.

10. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I was lucky enough to visit the set of Episode III as part of a group of people working on Star Wars Insider magazine. During the time we were on set, Ewan and Hayden were filming part of the lightsaber duel. At one point, both of them turned down a hallway toward us, saw us, turned around, and took another route.

This week, Ewan appeared at Star Wars Celebration, where he signed autographs and took photos shoulder-to-shoulder with random Star Wars fans. I genuinely never thought that would ever, ever happen.

Curveboy likes this.
  11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Never thought Star Wars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers would collide...yet here we are.

12. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

What a mess. Once again, the "writers" have introduced a new element into the prequels that undercuts and contradicts canon. Leia's message to Obi-Wan in Episode IV will need to be rewritten now:

LUKE
    I saw part of the message he was...

Luke is cut short as the recorded image of the beautiful
    young Rebel princess is projected from Artoo's face.

BEN
    I seem to have found it.

Luke stops his work as the lovely girl's image flickers before
    his eyes. Ben looks intensely at the image, signaling he was beholding

the sight of an old friend.
    LEIA
    General Kenobi, years ago you saved me from
    kidnappers on the planet Daiyu. Now I​
    beg you to help me in my struggle
    against the Empire. I regret that I
    am unable to present my
    request to you in person, as would be fitting
    considering our history together, but my​
    ship has fallen under attack and I'm
    afraid my mission to bring you to
    Alderaan has failed. I have placed
    information vital to the survival of
    the Rebellion into the memory systems
    of this R2 unit. You should know how to retrieve
    it since it once belonged to your padawan,
    Anakin Skywalker. You must see​
    this droid safely delivered to the rebel base
    on Yavin 4. This is our most​
    desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan
    Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Can't wait to catch up XXOO!​

13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I was unsure about that too, not wanting another Cindel character. But she seems to be pretty decent so far.

Flea has gotten to rub elbows with Marty McFly and Princess Leia. That's pretty good work for a rock star!

By the way, was that a blink-and-you-missed it shot of Woody Harrelson in the first episode (when Owen is being threatened in the street by the Inquistors)? I might have to go check that again. Would the timeline even fit for his Solo character?

I do like how Uncle Owen's disposition toward Ben is consistent with the way it was in Star Wars.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    kouzie likes this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I like to think of Flea as a decent actor in a horrible band

Walt, Lars Medley and kouzie like this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

Timeline might work but I'm going to say no...

Unless they're throwing in random Star Wars actor cameos, as a suggested Mark Hamill (not Luke Skywalker, for obvious reasons) cameo would mean... so that's a no :D

JAuz likes this.
  16. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

You think 100% correctly

GeetarFreek and Curveboy like this.
  17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I always thought Flea's first movies were the two Back To The Future sequels. But I just looked up his filmography and he had bit parts and uncredited roles going back to 1983 in The Outsiders.

18. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Alderaan’s not far away!

I loved the first two parts. It helps that Ewan is now almost the correct age corresponding to Sir Alec in the timeline.

kouzie likes this.
  19. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

No need to rewrite just yet.

In the hologram, Leia says, “General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars.” This language certainly sounds like a “cold call” to someone she hasn’t met.

Later, when Luke breaks her out of her detention cell and tells her that he’s here with Ben Kenobi, her line is “Ben Kenobi?!? Where is he?” This line is delivered as if she knows very well who Ben Kenobi is, though it provides no information about whether they’ve met or not.

The simple answer here, which is supported by new evidence rather than contradicted by it (so far, anyway), is that at that point, she hadn’t yet learned that Obi-Wan Kenobi was the same person as Ben Kenobi.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I first saw him in Suburbia…

neo123 likes this.
  21. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

She's an Inquisitor and she's trained by Darth Vader to hunt jedi.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought they were dressed like Knight Rider.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Probably the worst "action" scenes I've ever seen in anything ever.

The Jedi running out of the bar knocking down one awning and 3 inquisitor's are like "Geez, he sure got away!"

Flea and 2 other people being able to kill a guard but not scoop Leia up?

Lady gets her arm chopped off and doesn't make a peep afterwards?

Reva or Deva or whatever her name is doing parkour?

Leia jumping off a cliff after a bunch of "DON'T DO ITs from Obi Wan?"

Letting Obi-Wan get to the cargo ship was also stupid , they didn't chase him?? Is it that there's no room to run inside of that big LED screen environment?

And why doesn't Obi-Wan keep the hood on while "chasing" Leia? Not very good at stealth.
    This would have made a better book.

Stormrider77 and nojmplease like this.
  24. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

OK, the awning thing was lame. Even my girlfriend, who knows next to NOTHING about Star Wars other than the basics, was like, "That wouldn't stop a 5 year old from going after him!"
    As far as the second, they were able to kill the guard because they shot him with a blaster at about 20 feet. They wanted to capture the little girl, not kill her, which precludes shooting her.

25. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Something which was kind of lame was that guy pretending to be a Jedi (with the magnets, etc), suddenly turning "good" right after that little boy was like, "Hey, check this out" (the hologram of Kenobi being a wanted man). It makes it looks like he's going to help the Inquisitors track him down, not help him get away.

kouzie likes this.