Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Or how about Obi-Wan not using the Force for ten years so he doesn't get found out? He uses it once to save Leia's life, and then immediately Reva is able to read his mind to determine he doesn't know about Anakin. Please. To quote Han Solo: "That's not how the the Force works!"

chrischerm, kouzie and nojmplease like this.
  2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

He was already half good. As he said at least twice, he may cheat people out of their credits, but he also does get them where they want to go off-world. Not a stretch that he would then help Kenobi and Leia to do the same.

JohnK

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

Good thing those two things aren't connected, then.

The bigger plot hole is why didn't she do that to anyone else like, say, Owen.

DementedAvenger likes this.
  4. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I agree that some of the action is baffling. There's also some extremely clunky and unnatural forced exposition, i.e. [I am a character + this is what I do and why + here is a key detail about this scene].

But also, I get why - it has to be 'dark' enough to attract an older audience, but not so graphic or intense so as to prevent younger audiences from watching. It's a fast-moving series aimed at a wide audience that needs to explain big details very clearly, and hope that most people don't notice the little illogical gaps. Overall, I'd say it's solid, even if Episode 2 felt like we stepped out of Star Wars and into the Blade Runner+Dune universe...

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Utter tripe.

Why oh why can't they make a watchable SW show?

I don't know what's worse - the dreadful writing and direction or that it seems none of them have watched any of the (still canon) films or animated series.

Scott222C, bru87tr and googlymoogly like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think they are either unaware of any previous canon SW material, which would be shocking, or are deliberately pissing all over canon (there are numerous example) which is even worse.

Scott222C likes this.
  7. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Oh, I’m so glad the haters have arrived to tell us how terrible the things we like really are.

DancingSea, tkl7, Robert C and 8 others like this.
  8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Episode 3 took an interesting turn. Was not expecting that. Next week's episode can't come soon enough.

9. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

Just watched the latest Obi-Wan episode. Was not very impressed with the first 2 episodes but the third episode was on fire! Certainly one of the best episodes of Star Wars TV since Disney took over.

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I’ve seen the first two at my son’s behest. It’s not bad. Slow maybe.

(I haven’t seen the other shows, just the 9 movies, Solo, Rogue One, and the Holiday Special)

CoachD and saturdayboy like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I have to say... I feel like I should be feeling more excitement than I am. Maybe it's the music or the cinematography, but I feel no sense of tension. Just flashlights in a desert. Maybe it's just me.

It's certainly better than that Boba Fett garbage. "Now now, Ragu, you can have the saber or the shirt, but not both." Gag me.

12. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here but that Darth Vader, he's a real jerk!

Lars Medley, ssmith3046, Walt and 2 others like this.
  13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

We’re trying to avoid spoilers here!

chrischerm and Lars Medley like this.
  14. Avenging Robot

...and why does he get dressed with big metal calipers? No wonder his skin is in such rough shape.

Leviethan likes this.
  15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Ep 3. Picking up a little steam now.

At least thanks to this show and Lola we know where these little ones come from!*

[​IMG]

*He says half-jokingly but seriously wishes it were true.

Walt likes this.
  16. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Is the Holiday Special cannon?

Keith V likes this.
  17. Avenging Robot

No but it deserves to be shot out of one.

18. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I found Ep. 3 to be a little clunky

19. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I’m liking this series overall, but definitely some weak points, the chase scenes involving Leia are a bit painful. Also, Kenobi seems to have lost most of his force powers, but still plans on training or protecting Luke, seems to contradict itself. I loved the Vader scenes, but this series seems to suffer from some of the same story issues as the other series, meaning that there are elements that are very corny. Overall fun and decent, but the back and forth of dark and serious to an all ages type series makes the show inconsistent in my opinion. I’m still really glad that Disney is putting these types of shows out, there is no way to satisfy the fan base.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am really impressed with the 3 episodes so far - Obi Wan feels like a vast improvement on Boba Fett.

I enjoyed episode 3 but one of my big take aways is that the certain dark lord who appeared in this episode can start fires with the wave of his hand but can't put them out!

21. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Well, after being on the fence after the first two episodes, I think Episode 3 was some of the best new Star Wars content since Empire Strikes Back.

If they had done it right, the way episode 2 of Obi Wan ended, should have been exactly where Phantom Menace left off.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    BeatleJWOL and Curveboy like this.
  22. Ewan McGregor is half an inch taller than Alec Guinness was as well. How are they going to explain that?
    That kid is a bit short but then possibly already taller than Carrie Fisher was.
    I thought it was entertaining nonsense and enjoyed it.
    Looking forward to the rest.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying this, but it just shows how glaringly different in tone A New Hope is from every other Star Wars film and show. Vader and Kenobi’s meeting on the Death Star is pretty subdued. Kenobi refers to him as “Darth” as it if were his first name and not a title. Of course George Lucas started retconning with Empire Strikes Back (in the first draft Anakin and Vader were still two separate people) but it’s just gotten ridiculous. Vader doesn’t seem to hate Obi Wan or have even thought about him much before he smuggled himself onto the Death Star in Episode IV.

SJP and enro99 like this.
  24. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

He started the fire using his lightsaber.

Voodoo Child likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Isn't A New Hope 20 years after Obi-Wan?