Obladi oblada : like or don't like.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeaTleBob5, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I liked it a lot when I was 10. Same goes for Yellow Submarine or Hello Goodbye.
    Hate that stuff now. To my ears they are children songs.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I don't like it. I Love it.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I would like it if i heard it once a year.
    For me It does not help that the music was used for a kids show theme with no need to alter it one iota!
    The show?
    Fat Cat And Friends.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  4. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

I wonder what the age ranges are for those that love it and those that hate it. I think the context of how the song was presented to each of us matters to a certain extent. What I mean is that I was in my mid-teens when the album came out. We were still riding the wave of Beatlemania.....it was not exactly the tidal wave of early / 1964 Beatlemania, but it was still a big wave. We still were excited to see what the next album was going to be and knew that whatever it was and whenever it came out, it was going to be great. The Beatles were still the kings of rock and roll (none of us said it was "pop"music, it was rock music, no question). They were the kings, more so than the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, etc. When the White Album came out, it was just another great Beatles album, no question. All the songs were great (except for Revolution #9 - we all said what the hell is that? - and Wild Honey Pie was not really a song, just an intro to the next song). To us, Ob-La-Di was just another of the great songs on the album, and everybody thought that and we would all just sing along when we heard it.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A lot of people just dislike Hello Goodbye regardless of what category it may fall in..but even though YS has the aura of a children's song, it's much more than that: a very creative Pop song which works quite well on more than one level both as a song and a recording.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes Yellow Submarine has some nice touches i eventually warmed too, Hello Goodbye is massively overated.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  7. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

it was alright by Marmalade I suppose. But then I only half-like a few Beatles numbers. I live in that half of the planet that refuses to like The Beatles.

BeaTleBob5 and stef1205 like this.
  8. Ern

Ern Senior Member

9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Excellent song that has a peculiar sound that really shines if the listener is in any of the available altered-states-of-mind.
    IMO.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  10. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Exactly the kind of Pop drivel that Paul has been peddling (very successfully too) for the last 50 years. The musical equivalent of empty calories.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  11. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

Like.

Neat and unique Beatles song.

12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm in my 50s and I still like children's music, too, though. I've Sesame Street albums in my collection, I've a huge collection of Disney albums (I'm a bit of a Disney fanboy), etc. I listen to that sort of stuff as often as I listen to other types of music. "Minnie's Yoo-Hoo" is one of my favorite songs:

And I love when artists like Todd Rundgren do tunes like "Golden Goose", or They Might Be Giants' "Why Does the Sun Shine", or Bonzo Dog Band's "Mickey's Son and Daughter" (which was inspired by "Minnies's Yoo-Hoo").

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  13. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Been listening to it since 1968. It was a favorite of mine then, but not so much now.

But I just heard for the first time last night, from Pauls own mouth, that "bra" means brother. I know it means it now, but it meant it then, which is very cool.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  14. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Despise it. Left off every Beatles comp I ever made and even when I did them by era. Twaddle.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  15. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Hate it. One of the worst songs ever put on tape. Pure Paul dribble. And he’s got a bunch of them.

BeaTleBob5, stef1205 and Jim N. like this.
  16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Love it! It's a fun song :pineapple::bdance:

BeaTleBob5 and Moshe like this.
  17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

My little Ob-La-Di-Da story... I was in a Beatles cover band and several years ago we played at an acoustic music benefit fundraising concert of all Beatles music with several other artists, to raise money for local school music programs. I was tasked with organizing the finale of the evening and I chose "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" as an audience sing-along with the entire cast of the evening.

The "special guest star" of the evening was Greg Hawkes, keyboardist of The Cars. Besides creating all those cool synthesizer parts for The Cars records, he's an master ukulele player. Some years ago he put out a fun album of Beatles covers, all done with multiple overdubbed ukuleles. That night he had his own set as a uke duo. I had written out out harmony vocal parts to Ob-La-Di for the other musicians to sing if they chose to, but otherwise it was pretty much just busked on the spot with no real rehearsal. I had planned to mimic the little "dat-daaa da dat-daaa da dat-daaa da dat-daaa da daaaaa..." horns part from the record on my guitar, but when the time came, I was amazed to hear the line coming from behind me on what sounded like a harmonica! I turned around and it was Greg playing it on melodica! It was the perfect touch of color and totally unexpected, and I was chuffed to be singing and playing lead with this pro musician with a rock star pedigree. The audience, by the way, loved the song and sang along lustily. It was a great ending to a great evening.

I've always liked the song. It's light and not momentous, but it's fun and catchy and adds a lot to the sprawling canvas that is The White Album. And, as I found out, it can unite an audience. It's probably not for musical snobs.

18. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

This is a great fun song. It’s another brilliant one-off from Paul.

wes4usc, BeaTleBob5 and Moshe like this.
  19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I like it.
    Not their best song, but it’s far from their worst.

It’s intentionally childlike, but I wouldn’t dismiss it as a children’s song.
    It’s good.

I voted “like”.

wes4usc and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  20. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

How does this song not put a smile on your face ?

Life goes on bra.

21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I like it, however, I prefer the Anthology version more.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  22. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Love it, it may be a “minor song” but it’s really catchy and conjures up good memories from my childhood

23. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Like very much. Always have. Always will.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Saying that I detest it would be an understatement.

BeaTleBob5 and RogerB like this.
  25. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Love it, it's great!
    BTW so is Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Oh Darling.

BTW part 2, A Day in the Life isn't great!

BeaTleBob5 and Gila like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.