Obscure & Neglected Female Singers Of Jazz & Standards (1930s to 1960s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Here's Patricia Scot on a 1957 broadcast of "In Town Tonight" singing "You're Sensational"

From the YouTube description:
    "Pat sang the Cole Porter song "You're Sensational" on this 1957 episode of In Town Tonight. The song was introduced in the 1956 movie "High Society" starring Frank Sinatra."

From the upload of the full show:
    "In Town Tonight was a live broadcast show that aired in Chicago, starring Jim Conway, Len Dressler, and Patricia Scot. This episode, from 1957, features The Trio Schmid."

Both videos were uploaded by Patricia's son, Adam Pace.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    toilet_doctor, bluemooze and David*M like this.
  2. Jbeck57143

Here are two more songs by Wanda Stafford - Happy Sunday and Blue Guitar
    This single was originally released in 1967 and was reissued in 2016.

SONG OF THE DAY Wanda Stafford – Blue Guitar
    From the discogs page: "Reissue (more or less a replica) of 1967 private press 45 outta Indianapolis."

Here's Happy Sunday:

toilet_doctor and bluemooze like this.
  3. Jbeck57143

Here's Blue Guitar:

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bird at Carnegie Hall 1947

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. blue_hinge_Over

blue_hinge_Over New Member

Adelaide Hall?

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Was that a question?

She was great, so no question mark is necessary!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

I've got to thank my wife for Amazon Prime. Although I'd rather have physical media, I'm now finding many of these recordings available there for unlimited streaming. I just listened to Marilyn Maye's The Second of Maye and am now started on Patricia Scot's Once Around the Clock. Very convenient when I'm at the computer working on something and don't want to get up and down. You can play the albums all the way through without stopping.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just won a near mint original UK Ann Richards - I'm Shooting High LP for £5 on eBay. I was the only bidder. It seems wrong that an LP from 1958 that's been taken care of should be that cheap, but I'll have it! I haven't heard her or this album. I've never seen one before either.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    bluemooze and Eric Carlson like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe that when you find a near mint album from yetseryear, it is more often that nobody cared about it at all, rather than that they took care of it. Hardly ever played, if at all, usually means near mint.

Man at C&A and ggjjr like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Generally you're right, but this came in an astonishing jazz collection a friend got that were all near mint. Signed original Lita Roza and Blossom Dearie LPs, Miles Davis on Esquire, Bill Evans on Riverside, Cannonball Adderley on US Blue Note, Bryony James, lots of Julie London. I haven't seen the collection yet, but it's around 2000 LPs! Rather than not cared for, sadly it seems to be someone who's passed away's lifetime passion.

ggjjr likes this.
  11. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

Independently of whether you enjoy or don't enjoy her singing, Ann's biography is so interesting that you might want to look it up. As you might already know, she was married to bandleader Stan Kenton (see pic below). It was through Stan's connection with Capitol Records that Ann managed to have this first album of hers recorded and released.

[​IMG]

Herein we have talked about Ann several times before. I'll re-post my own contributions below. Photos of some of her albums can also be seen on page 24 (posts #1788 to #1790), courtesy of fellow poster Toilet Doctor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    JazzcornerND and bluemooze like this.
  12. David Lobosco

David Lobosco Active Member

Sorry I'm late to the conversation. I'm new to this blog.

I recently acquired the paperwork and some recordings of an Annette Hanshaw biographer who has passed away.

I found some of the "test" recordings that Annette Hanshaw made when when thinking of returning to show business.
    Some of the recordings are really great!

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My deceased friend, Chick Wilson, was a friend of Annette. She gave him her record collection of LPs by other artists. He gave me a few of them, including an album by Tiny Tim that he had inscribed to her. I would love to jave a true complete edition of Annette on CD. I have many 78s and most every LP and CD.

14. Adair

Adair Active Member

It is tragic that such a talented singer as Patricia Scot only produced one album. Her voice is perfect and effortless!

15. Adair

Adair Active Member

You will LOVE the Patricia Scot album, especially "You Leave Me Breathless." What a great artist!

16. Jbeck57143

17. David Lobosco

David Lobosco Active Member

I knew a Chick Wilson from New Jersey or Connecticut that had a CD ordering business in the days before online music and everything. I wonder if it was the same person?

Supposedly Tiny Tim and Annette Hanshaw were great friends.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was definitely Chick. He sold records (and later CDs) at record shows and from his home for many years (first in Cos Cob CT, later in Greenwich CT). He was definitely the world's leading expert on vocalists (jazz and classic pop), and was a mentor to Will Friedwald when Will was young. Chick was the nicest guy in the record business. He passed away 6+ years ago. He provided many rare recordings to many people.

bluemooze and ggjjr like this.
  19. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Mitzi Gaynor! - Found this one today at an antique store for $5! Great condition!

From Wiki: “(Actress) Gaynor recorded two albums for the Verve label, one called Mitzi and the second called Mitzi Gaynor Sings the Lyrics of Ira Gershwin. She is thought to have earned more from the record royalties on the South Pacific soundtrack album than her salary for the movie.”

Both Verve albums were released as “2 LPs on 1 CD” from Fresh Sounds.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have not seen your posts for a while. I hope you are doing well!

Ridin'High and Stu02 like this.
  21. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- Thanks! I am! It’s just getting more difficult to find these great torch/jazz singers on original vinyl (without paying an arm and a leg!) Hence my slowing down with posts! :)

toilet_doctor, Ridin'High and Stu02 like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You are not considering CDs? With many of these singers' LPs extremely rare, and typically in only fair condition, CDs are the way to go if you wish to hear them. European and Japanese reissues of very rare records have covered many of the singers.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  23. Ridin'High

Pricey whenever I saw them, I never bought the LPs, but I was tempted. Both album covers are quite appealing. I did purchase the Fresh Sound CD, though. I am perfectly satisfied with it. (Truth be told, that's enough Mitzi for me, since I do not care all that much for her singing.)

For those among us who are CD-oriented, here's her Fresh Sound:

[​IMG]

It contains all the tracks from her two LPs:

[​IMG][​IMG]

As bonus tracks, the Fresh Sound twofer CD also offers her numbers from this single:

[​IMG]

24. Ridin'High

The Public Domain label Flare has also released two Mitzi CDs. One of them:

[​IMG]

This CD includes

-- the 12 tracks from the self-titled LP
    -- two of the 12 tracks from the Gershwin songbook
    -- two of the four tracks from the Top Rank EP
    -- four tracks from her work on the South Pacific film
    -- one track from her work on the film Anything Goes (a duet with Bing Crosby).

And here is the other Flare release:

[​IMG]

In addition to the Ira songbook, this 14-track CD incorporates the two songs from the Top Rank EP -- the ones that Flare had left out from its other Mitzi disc.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Jane Essex (a/k/a Jayne or Jane Dover). I'd like to hear more from her, but there's virtually nothing out there under the name Essex. I'll have to explore more under what I believe is her real name (Dover . . . likely Jayne).

[​IMG]