Obscure songs from the '60s that you love to share with people

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Oct 6, 2013.

1. I Feel Free

I Feel Free Forum Renegade

From 1969, it's British band New Generation (later the Sutherland Brothers), with "She's a Soldier Boy".

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Chamæleon Church, with Chevy Chase: "Come Into Your Life".

3. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

"Violet Gown" by the Lost, I came across this song on a compilation of Boston bands;

geo50000 likes this.
  4. I Feel Free

From 1964, its an obscure Minnesota band, the Accents, with a bluesy number, "Why". There were at least five bands by that name: MN, WA, RI, and two in CA.

5. I Feel Free

Released in 1970, it's short lived British band Alan Avon & the Toyshop with a fine slice of 60s psych, "A Night to Remember".

6. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

The Giant Sunflower - February Sunshine

It's often reported that The Giant Sunflower was a studio group, but this isn't actually true - they were a real band and did perform live alongside groups like Buffalo Springfield, The Soul Survivors and The Turtles. However, both of their singles featured session musicians playing the instruments, although the band's lead guitarist did play on the singles too. It's also sometimes reported that the group morphed into The Rose Garden, but this is also untrue - they were two completely unrelated groups. The Rose Garden did cover February Sunshine and also did a few live shows under The Giant Sunflower's name before they became known as The Rose Garden, but that's the only connection between the two groups.
    There are also two different takes of this song released on different labels; I'm not entirely sure why this happened (though it did result in a lawsuit), but the above take seems to be the most well known of the two (the other version can be heard here).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    swampwader likes this.
  7. I Feel Free

From their 1968 album, it's the British band Andwella's Dream with a nice melodic number, "The Days Grew Longer For Love", with a strong guitar lead.

8. I Feel Free

From 1967, it's Alan Bown with the b-side to their hit, "Toyland", "Technicolour Dream", a nice slice of late-60s pop. Although the band was somewhat popular in the UK, they were virtually unknown in the U.S. at the time.

9. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Not really obscure to most of us but this is one I listen to and wander why such a great song wasn't a hit.

Bob J and I Feel Free like this.
  10. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I'm looking through my 60's pop/rock 45 boxes now and found this one: "Isicle Star Tree" by Asylum Choir

halfjapanese likes this.
  11. I Feel Free

From 1964, it's Australian band, Anne Reilly & the Echomen, with "Lonely Sixteen", the a-side of their only record.

doublenaught likes this.
  12. I Feel Free

From 1965, it's a little known garage band from Berkeley, CA, the Answer, with the bluesy, "Why You Smile", the a-side of their only record.

geo50000 and doublenaught like this.
  13. doublenaught

Another Avant-Garde song was posted earlier, here is their 45 that I have: "Naturally Stoned". Chuck Woolery at his best.

CliffL and I Feel Free like this.
  14. doublenaught

Thanks, I've never heard this one. Super cool. God bless the Aussies.

15. Happening45

Happening45 Forum Resident

My favourite Aussie psych 45. Has an equally great B side...

CliffL likes this.
  16. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This is definitely not the same band that I Feel Free posted above-this is the original version of "The Disadvantages of You" by the Answer, also recorded by the Brass Ring whose version was used in the Benson and Hedges cigarette commercials in the 60s.

wore to a frazzel and swampwader like this.
  17. doublenaught

The Cardinals - "I'm Gonna Tell on You"

18. I Feel Free

In 1968, a short-lived Maine group, Appletree Theatre, released an interesting concept album, Playback, from which this lovely, haunting track was taken, "What a Way to Go".

19. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I'm a sucker for any song with phase-shifting:
    Grapefruit - "Dear Delilah"

swampwader and John54 like this.
  20. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This was one of my favorite songs as a kid and I still love it today! I have an earlier 45 by this duo when they were known as the Bordermen, unfortunately it's not on Youtube or I would post it.

doublenaught likes this.
  21. I Feel Free

From 1969, it's the short-lived British band, Argosy, with a pretty, orchestrated pop song, "Imagine", the b-side to their only record. A young Elton John plays the piano.

swampwader and John54 like this.
  22. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Hard to believe Jenny Streur was 15 when she cut this in 1965.
    How many 15 year old girls were aping Van Morrison back then?.....not many, I'd wager.

I Feel Free and doublenaught like this.
  23. doublenaught

Like Coca-Cola, GM also used rock bands to promote their products. SS 396 By Paul Revere and the Raiders:

geo50000 likes this.
  24. doublenaught

b/w Camaro by The Cyrkle:

telliott and CliffL like this.
  25. I Feel Free

From 1966, its a short-lived California band, Ariel, with this nice garage-pop track, "It Feels Like I'm Crying".

geo50000 and doublenaught like this.