Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych Round Table Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

For me, a little July (in September, no less), and a recent spin of the Firebirds.

2. mondo primo

mondo primo New Member

I've been smitten ever since I heard Pools of Blue on the Acid, Spacedust & Flying Saucers. I never associated Barclay James Harvest with ethereal Brit Sike before. Anthing else by BJH worth checking out?

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I already invesigated BJH's other works earlier in this thread. Their early singles don't do much for me but I really like their Baby James Harvest album, even though it's nowhere near pop-psych....

4. mondo primo

mondo primo New Member

Thanks. It's tough keeping up with the nooks and crannies of this topic and thread. But thats what makes it so much fun.

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

The selection which encapsulates my listening in the obscure psych pop nether regions this week is The Wind Blows Your Hair by The Seeds. I know the group is not so obscure(relatively speaking) but this track wasn't on any of their original albums and is not so well known. Sometimes rudimentary instrumental and compositional skills and ability are responsible for creating something more virtuoso talent could not and this is such a case. A lovely psych song that carries me away on a sandalwood breeze.

6. mondo primo

mondo primo New Member

Man, is the Wind Blows in Her Hair a great track or what?! Although I do think including it on this thread will require further parsing - Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych-Punk for guys who confuse canines with dieties?

7. rene smalldridge

....................Oh well. It is the lysergic way of things..When my third eye opens up , the world starts to melt together.

8. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I think just about all psych--US garage fuzz, English pastoral fairytale psych, Toytown, International, etc.--is welcomed by our esteemed thread originator, Mr. Tom! :D

When I read these posts, I put on my copy of Travel With Your Mind. "The Wind Blows Your Hair" is a perfect inclusion for this thread. The organ gives it that particularly eerie sound, yet there's some sweet lyrics here; a gorgeous love song, really. Thanks for bringing this track into the discussion, rene!

Since I received the spectacular Love Is The Song We Sing box this week, I've had it in heavy rotation in my home stereo. The set includes obscure as well as popular tracks, including a whole disc of San Jose/Suburban SF bands. "My Buddy Sin" by the Stained Glass is a stand-out track on this particular disc. In my car, I've listened to July and the Insane Times comp quite a bit through the week.

9. glea

glea Forum Resident

Stained Glass were local heros when I was in HS. They played at Willow Glen Hi in 1968. The photo from my yearbook has appeared on two different releases... A guy I played in bands with knew them, so I got to meet 'em. We borrowed their PA for a gig with Charlie Musselwhite! The promoter of course didn't pay us for the use of...Saw Stained Glass again, with Tom Bryant on guitar... hokey smokes... that was the most musical SJ band I ever saw. Neither of the lps really show them off as well. Those early RCA singles are great. Still Got A Long Way To Go is my fave.

Saw Jim McPherson years later with John Cipollina's band Raven. He had the best songs. My band Donovan's Brain covered Ox Blood on one of our cds... Last time I saw Jimmy McP he was well into his bad habit...Really sad. He was our own Jack Bruce...hmmm good times, bad times

10. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Wow - I didn't know that was on there! That's been a favorite of mine since I first heard it on Soft Sounds For Gentle People. Looks like I will have to pick that up today! :)

11. child of nature

Thank you for the info about Stained Glass and your connection with them. I wish I could say that we had local heroes when I was in HS!! Sorry to read the sad news about Jimmy.

You won't regret it! :righton:

I'm impressed with every aspect of the collection--it flows so well, and I think it sounds fantastic, plus the beautiful 120 page book is the icing on the cake. I can tell that Alec put his heart and soul into this project. All these truly great but relatively unknown bands are getting the respect they deserve, placed alongside the Dead and the Airplane, as essential elements of the SF scene.

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I think this was already mention but Rev-Ola's Pych Jumble Vol 1 is out. It an interested comp, not amazing but nice for completists. I needed the one Honeybus demo that is on it so I had to get it. The best track on the CD, and its a goodie, is the Rupert's People backing track called Flying High. It's so good as is that it really doesn't need vocals. Then again I'm a big fan of the People.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Surprisingly good psych find, from a group I'd never heard of, Eden's Children "It Sure Looks Real" on abc. A little heavier than pop psych, but not acid rock. I need to pull one or two tracks for a comp so I don't file and forget.

14. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

I, too, just received this excellent box and the previously unheard track that bent my ears back on disc 2 is "Fly To New York" by Country Weather. After a couple of verses it morphs into a Cipollina-sounding jam that had me double-checking the credits. Great stuff!

Aaron

15. child of nature

Glad you were able to get some interesting additions to your collection.
    How are the Tintern Abbey tracks on this comp?

Here is another interesting release: a limited edition hardback print of Acid, Fuzz & Flowers! (Wish I had the money for this--a little too steep, as I have pre-ordered the Rubble sets!)

OT: I also have a question for the members in this thread: since I love July so much, would I feel the same about Jade Warrior?

16. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Just curious about something - in the description of this CD at the Rev-Ola website it states:

"From the producers of recent lauded Brit-psych releases by Turquoise, Octopus, Tony Hazzard, Jawbone, The Knack, Graham Gouldman and Tuesday's Children comes this first-time archival collection of lost masters, demos and acetates from the late '60s; the first in a series if we have things our way."

What recent Graham Gouldman release haven't I heard about?

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:laugh: This is great. Andy and Stefan. :laugh:

Just a pointless third reissue of GG Thing. It doesn't make sense since its in print on BGO. Though I think they got some nice photos for the booklet.

18. glea

glea Forum Resident

Greg Douglass is a fab guitarist. He played with Cipollina in Terry And The Pirates and Raven.. When they got going, it was always a treat. Check out the Too Close For Comfort live album, Baby Don't Do It... more like the Yardbirds... I recorded most of this album and loads more for Terry. There are some great performances.... not really a psych band, but it could go that way... or maybe it was just Nicky Hopkins hallucinating on tequila!

19. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

That's weird - this just had a reissue from BMG a couple of years ago. I doubt that the mastering is any better - some of the recent Rev-Ola CDs have been really maximized. However, like you said, the booklet is probably really nice. The BMG one sounds pretty good, but the booklet isn't much. GG is one of my favorites, but I really don't feel like buying it again just for the booklet. I hate when this kind of stuff happens... :realmad:

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The BMG is excellent, especially after the first issue, which I think was a needledrop - or a bad tape. You're right, Rev has been jacking that sound up.

Stefan asked them why they decided to issue it and apparently they didn't realize it was still in print.

Make sure you get Tea and Symphony for that excellent GG 1972 single. Great stuff.

21. rene smalldridge

Just picked up Into The Afterlife on Big Beat this weekend and WOW!! This is the new release that features the obscure work of Zombies' members after the group broke up and before the band Argent was formed or Colin Blunstone recorded under his own name. For those of you who like orchestral psych - there are some lovely orchestra mixes of Zombies' tunes. Another favorite on here for me is the catchy voyuer's anthem Telescope(Mr. Galileo) by Argent & White. The real jewels IMO are the Neil MacArthur cuts especially She's Not There which is tastefully psyched up, Without Her-the Nilsson song with bossa nova beat and gorgeous vocals by Colin, World Of Glass and his cover of the Buffalo Springfield song Hung Upside Down. Usually I am not a big lover of these types of covers but regarding this release - these are quite simply wonderful and need to be heard.

22. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

" ... It is the lysergic way of things ... When my third eye opens up ... "

Rocky!! Rocky Ericson! ... Rocky is that you??

23. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Thanks Mark - I just ordered it. There's a lot of great stuff on there. You get both sides of that GG single and it also has "Strange Girl" by Kate, which is one of my faves from the Fading Yellow series. There's a lot of songs I've never heard of, but "English Baroque" is one of my favorite genres, so I'm sure I'll be happy with it. :righton:

How is that Insane Times comp? I already have a lot of the stuff on there, but there looks like a few good rarities. I don't think I've ever seen the 45 version of "Dandelion Seeds" on CD from a tape source before.

24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Insane Times is great... go for it!

25. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.