Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Thank for that information. Makes sense then.

2. esa

esa Forum Resident

...looks like you and I have a mutual friend, poppys. :righton:

Lance LaSalle and poppys like this.
  3. Beachedboy

Beachedboy Forum Resident

Apparently the excellent Chaka album Come 2 My House is coming to Spotify soon. Pure funk! Sadly I joined the discussion too late for that album but it's got some killer tunes. Larry slapping away on Betcha Eye is one of my favourites. Spoon should've been kept for himself, Reconsider is another great one. Be great to have this on Spotify finally. A true Prince, Larry and Chaka jam album.

4. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I think I said this when we were discussing Newpower Soul but in some ways I find Come 2 My House and GCS2000 to be more satisfying albums than Newpower Soul.

5. Beachedboy

The out of nowhere super cheesy ballad, Until Ur In My Arms just ruins the flow. It's meant to be a party album but that and The One really spoil the flow. Everything else is great and super funky. There's a raw demo like quality that HM Buff went in to detail about. One of the Hornheads were so aghast with When U Love Somebody that they offered to pay out of their own pocket to have it remixed.

Maybe The One should've been saved until Rave. I suppose by then with his marriage effectively over it would've been too late.

For me GCS2000 is the strongest associated artist album he did. The combination of Kirk's drum programming and Larry's slap bass and the Horns is superb. It's an album that does what it set out to do which didn't always happen with artists he did albums for. With GCS2000 you get some of the baddest, tightest grooves he ever did. And it showcases Larry as both a bass player and a singer.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. DownInAHole

It may have made a difference that with Larry and Chaka they were heroes of his. Most of his "satellite" projects were with much lower profile artists. Both Larry and Chaka had been a bit under the radar when they hooked up with Prince. That may have given him extra motivation to make their albums as good as they could be.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

This thread is a great resource. :righton: I was researching if Prince had released Loïs Lane's Sex himself, and finally found the answer here. :righton: Both fun and embarrassing fact: I do have the Scandalous Sex Suite CD-single on my iPhone, so I should have known it exists. :shh:

Personally I like the Loïs Lane version better, as there is more going on in the mix. Prince's "Suite version" is very bare bones, imho. But I'm wondering if anybody knows the Loïs Lane remixes of this track. There's the Single Edit, the Darkdub Remix and the Street Remix. I cannot fin them on YouTube. :cry:

8. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Those remixes are good, but not essential in any way. The Darkdub remix is a great remix by itself (not a dub, maybe a bit darker because of a couple more seductive lines). The Street Mix is the same as the album version (as far as I can hear). The promo video is the Single Edit.
    In the end it's more of the same. You're all set with the album version. Discogs offers the cds for way too much money (100 euro), but the cover art is nice...

Yost and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I agree, I'm not gonna pay 100 euros for this, although it seems very rare. No copies on eBay or other websites. But I will be looking for it in the bins, and keeping my fingers crossed. I love the artwork too, but for that the 2-track version suffices. And that one can be found cheaply and easily. ;)

PS. I own the Qualified CD-single since its release, and although I only keep the title track on my iPhone, I do like both Need A Little Space (album track, not by Prince, but still a Prince-like vibe) and So Long (B-side) too.

10. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

I'm behind and trying to catch up but no metaphor, this is obvious: Prince and Brea are sharing a jumbo bag of Skittles.

11. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

We should review 7 (In E Flat) and "All A Share Together Now"

[​IMG]

12. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

OK. This is the first I'm hearing about it!

I'll hold it up for discussion next weekend! (I want to give us time to get acquainted with it -- i know it's been out for several weeks, but I suspect I'm not the only one who didn't know about htis.)

13. DownInAHole

Heh. I just assumed that Lance was waiting for a more substantial release (I'm hoping that these two songs are part of a larger project).

I would advise people to keep your expectations low but there is another announcement coming in August.

14. Beachedboy

I have the lowest expectations sadly.

iveivan likes this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Oops. I forgot this. Tomorrow morning!

16. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "All a Share Together Now", written and produced by Prince.

Prince – All a Share Together Now Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"All a Share Together Now" was recorded at Paisley Park on September 4th, 2006.

Line Up:
    Prince: all vocals and instruments (presumed) except:

with
    Unknown: Horns

"All A Share Together Now" was released on a USB stick called Vault Series Volume 1 at some point and was made available digitally on July 7th, 2023 -- one month ago.

(The B-side, a previously unreleased remix of "7" will be up tomorrow. I normally don't do remixes, but what the hey, any Prince release at this point is an Event.)

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Some things remained unreleased for a reason.

It's not bad. It's just sorta...there.

2/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  18. Lance LaSalle

A nice James Brown-ish funk work out with some very Christian lyrics. Nothing special but certainly not bad. Well-played, as always. It really doesn't stand out and as a standalone single, I'm not sure it really holds that much interest. Might be OK on a longer comp.

2.7/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  19. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I'm not the biggest fan of the jazzy side of Prince, also it's more a jam session than a song. I like the second half better, where the music drops out except for the drums
    Of all the things the estate could have released....

2/5

20. Beachedboy

All a Share.

Always nice to have something new that we weren't aware of previously. Where to begin.

It's a jam really. A groove stretched out over 4 minutes. This was a problem with a lot of the latter stuff, he gets a riff and turns it in to a song. It needs a middle 8 or a turnaround to keep things interesting. Not that it's not a nice slinky bassline and drum beat.

Lyrically it's oddly religious for that era. I know we had Lion of Judah and Chelsea Rodgers has the hilarious "baptized according to the master plan" which is so out of place you can't help but love it but there aren't many on Musicology, 3121 and Planet Earth.

Who do we think is playing on this? I'm fairly certain it's just Prince and not CC as it has that really bottom heavy drum sound Prince favoured on his own recordings at the time. See Fury, Satisfied and Cinnamon Girl for examples of him on drums with lots of booty.

Where did the horns mention come from? There's no horns on the track.

Not sure how to rate it. It's nice to have something new though!

3 out of 5.

21. Lance LaSalle

haha! True. It came from Princevault, as always. Someone needs to rewrite that whole site.

22. Tain

Tain Forum Resident

Nothing to add, except it’s always a pleasure to hear an unreleased P track i had never heard about. That makes me hope there are much more under the hood (is this expression means something in English ?).
    3/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  23. DownInAHole

I think I am correct in saying that circa 1978-1995/1996 we know many, but definitely not all, of the unreleased songs in the vault. After he left Warner Brothers there were virtually no leaks so knowledge of the 1996-2016 era is much murkier.

He may have slowed down a little compared to his peak eighties years but I think it is safe to say there are many, many unreleased songs circa 1996-2016 that we are completely unaware of.

24. Beachedboy

There's lots of mistakes on the vault especially around that era.

Wasn't meant to come across as a dig btw Lance :)

25. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

All A Share Together Now - Nice to hear something new but I’m not into his jazzy stuff at all. It’s listenable. 2.5/5.