Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

True, but sadly, this release was sourced from vinyl. very good vinyl, but vinyl, no mastertapes.

Piiijiii and groovelocked like this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

The Ladder 3/5 , which makes this the weakest song on this brilliant album.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. A-Tone

A-Tone camera shy

The Ladder

Pleasant gospel(ish) plodder. I've always loved it.

4/5

4. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

The Ladder..

Ugh.. lump this in with God (vocal), and the theme from Graffiti Bridge for me.. bottom-barrel ballads. 0/5

(This is my first 0 rating)

5. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

one more thing to add on Pop Life... despite it being a deserved top 10 hit regardless, i'm sure the song would've been even bigger if it had music video for it
    Raspberry Beret was his best music video up to that point, so it really was a missed opportuniy to not have one for the following single...
    i believe it hurt the longevity of the album IMO + wasting perhaps the best song from the era on the B-side (She's Always In My Hair) :cry:

6. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

There is a street in my city called Easy Road, which always puts this into my head.

This is the song that I thought I might have tired of a little; but listening to it now, I'm still really into it. 4/5

7. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

The Ladder

Prince doing gospel, always great.
    I always thought the recording is a little underdeveloped, doesn't reveal the full potential of the song.

Therefore only a 4/5

8. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

The Ladder.

Prince taking us to church here. You can hear the sincerity in his vocal here, which just about saves this song from schmaltz-ville.

3.5/5

9. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

The Ladder is a great gospel song. Beautiful backing vocals (choir-like) and moving vocals by Prince. I can see the similarities with Purple Rain. It's also very similar to Temptation (the chords).
    Eddy M is on sax. It's the first song with his input and not too long before Eric Leeds took over. He's really playing with the melody and it suits the song.
    This is also the first song with Taja Sevelle, a local DJ that would record a pop album in 1987 on the Paisley Park label (with Wouldn't You Love To Love Me).
    This song was important to Prince. First, the gospel is important and, second, the imagery that Prince was looking for in the ladder. He's climbing a ladder, moving up, away from the fame and status that Purple Rain brought him.
    He also visualized it on the album cover.

It can be said that the song is a bit rough, a bit too basic. To me it underlines the pure beauty of it. It's the message and emotion that counts, not the execution to be perfect. To me, it's perfect in it's imperfection. Like this rehearsal version, it's just so beautiful:

The basic song was recorded live during rehearsals (in one take) and bits and pieces were added later on (background vocals) or removed (most of the sax).
    He performed the song occasionally on the Parade tour. On the 2002 ONA tour is was a regular part of the second leg of the tour. I was shocked when he performed it, after wanting to hear it for so long!

You can build a good case that this could have been the album closer. That way it would really have been Purple Rain (the song) part 2 and I guess Prince absolutely didn't want that :winkgrin:.
    So he added Temptation to close it on a different level and added a weird conversation with God to freak everybody out!

So, this is just another side of Prince on this album... we have the pop songs, the piano classical-like song, the funky stuff, the worldmusic-like song, the rocker and the gospel. It all paints this pallet of colors (like the on purpose colorful album art) of what Prince wanted to display (really: around the world in 40 minutes). This is the real start of the expanded musical vision that Prince wanted to show. And it shows (again) in this song. I love it!

So, this is a 5 out of 5 for me.

10. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

As much as I love this album, it really ends weakly for me with the last 2 songs.
    I wish he had maybe switched and put this on the We Are The World album and placed the rather more offbeat 4 The Tears In Your Eyes on ATWIAD.
    I’m not a big fan of Eddie M’s sax work here. It sounds like the closing credits of the old SNL music in the late 70’s. Eric Leeds can’t get here soon enough.
    Still, I enjoy Prince’s vocal here, and the all-girl backing chorus is genuinely stirring. 3/5

11. JUNKIE

JUNKIE Forum Resident

I like The Ladder, but it is one of the weaker tracks on this album. I would give it 3.5 / 5.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Plodding gospel-tinged number that - as others have noted - feels like a lesser "Purple Rain". It's not awful, and there's something neatly glam about the cut, especially the sax work, which also reminds me of the stuff from Bowie's plastic soul Young Americans, but "Pop Life" was the end of the run of good cuts on this record that started with "Beret".

3/5

Lance LaSalle and Arthur Pewty like this.
  13. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

"The Ladder" - first off, I always forget that this intro was lifted from "Our Destiny" and it throws me off every time. Anyway, this is the first truly weak cut on the album for me. You can tell it was recorded at a rehearsal, but it works to the song's detriment unlike the performance recordings on Purple Rain. It's just a weaker and far less interesting version of Prince-in-preacher-mode - I might not share Prince's passion for god/religion, but I can appreciate it as long as the music kicks ass. Unfortunately, this does not kick ass.

2/5

14. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

The ladder ...

Sadly the album conclusion is a bit like snakes and ladders in reverse ..

So this one doesn’t quite hit the spot for me, a bit like Free on 1999, not quite getting there ..a bit of limp 3/5

15. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"The Ladder" is a good, gospel-style track with a typically odd Prince lyrical twist on the topic of spiritual salvation. The massed backing vocals take this more into the realm of traditional gospel than Prince had gone before and the song has a soaring, anthemic quality that can be genuinely moving when you're in the right mood. I don't really hear much similarity to "Purple Rain" here. I do think that this would have been a better track to finish up the album than "Temptation".

3.5/5

16. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

i dig it. im a sucker for an gospel-like anthem. (it's kind of like Donovans Atlantis, the long spoken word over the music then right into it) 4/5

17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

"The Ladder"

A good track but can't escape the feeling that it's like "Son of Purple Rain." So 3.5/5 for me.

18. "The Ladder" ~ The melody is there. It's strong. I've never been sure if the presentation was done well, though. I hope that there is a solo piano and voice version of this in the vault. I think it would make it a much stronger track. It could have been stronger with real strings rather than synths. Or maybe an old school organ (there are many to choose from).

That said, I seldom second-guess Prince's instrument choices. It's just that if you are going gospel, a more loose, grittier feel might be more persuasive. But I get it. The entire production of this album is slick. Nothing has a layer of human frailty, compared to let's say, Parade, which is a little leaner and jaunty. Or, Purple Rain, filled with loose rock guitar. Maybe that's why I love "Trampoline" so much from this album, as it's the only track that doesn't sound overproduced.

But whatever. 3.6/5 for the way the song was captured for posterity. Perhaps a greater rating if you stripped away some of the gunk.

19. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The Ladder is a nice song but... it really does sound like Prince (and The Revolution) doing a gospel-soul tune. This in contrast to a gospel-soul tune done by Prince, if you get my drift. It's a bit like "here's the template for this kind of song, this is the Prince sound, let's put them on top of each other." I'm a big fan of gospel-soul and certainly appreciate The Ladder as well but it is no masterpiece.
    3.5/5

20. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"The Ladder" takes quite a while to go nowhere all that interesting. It's kind of a bore, frankly, not to mention a bit pretentious. I can see the appeal if you buy it all, but to me it's as powerful and majestic as the SNL band.

2.5/5

21. Michael Macrone

You beat me to it!

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Michael Macrone

It's not often that Prince reminds me of Gram Parsons, but ...

23. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

The Ladder

I quite like this, the backing vocals are hypnotic.

4.4/5

-George

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "The Ladder"

1-0
    2-1
    3-5
    4-15
    5-1
    Average: 3.7364

25. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Temptation", written and produced by Prince.

Lyric.

"Temptation" was the final song recorded for Around the World in a Day, Prince being determined to finish the album before 1984 finished.
    It was recorded on December 7th, 1984 at Capitol Studios in Hollywood. A band rehearsal of the song had been recorded the previous day at about twice the tempo; Prince re-recorded this slower version by himself with saxophonist Eddie M.

The "God dialogue" was recorded later, at Prince's Kiowa Trail home studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota on the 24th of December, 1984.

Prince: vocals, all istruments except:
    Eddie M: Saxophone