Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If I had to guess, it was partly to get back into Prince's good graces, partly because Prince was enjoying a big Batman commercial comeback, and partly to work with their friends again from a new position of power themselves.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The end of this one is so annoying I'm lowering my ranking to 2/5.

Yikes.

3. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

It’s Your World- love this track!

Sometimes I Get Lonely- maybe should have been the only ballad because DT Black Version is god awful. So easy to hear Janet singing this tho.

Databank- never liked this song or anything about it. 0/5
    Prince’s version I’d give a 3.5/5

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Lance LaSalle likes this.
  4. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Data Bank": Yeah, this was pretty much ruined for Corporate World/Pandemonium. Prince's version destroys it. But enough of the "original weirdness" persists to make the Time's worth the occasional listen. But when I do listen I still wish I were listening to the Revolution's version.

Time: 3/5
    Prince: 5/5

sunspot42 and croquetlawns like this.
  5. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Data Bank
    2/5

(By the way, I enjoy Cooking Class...gimme a little bit of that pepper...)

6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Data Bank"

1-2
    2-8
    3-4
    4-5
    5-0
    Average: 2.5658

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's gotta be one of the lowest-ranking tracks in awhile.

8. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "My Summertime Thang", written and produced by Prince; credited to The Time.

Lyric.

Basic tracking was done on March 27th, 1983, during the Ice Cream Castle/Purple Rain era, the day after "JUngle Love" and on the same days as "Cloreen Bacon Skin." Prince later gave this to Eric Leeds to work on for his solo album but Eric Leeds did not choose it. It seems a little more work was done on the song in 1989 for The Time's unreleased Corporate World.

Morris Day: vocals
    Prince; backing vocals and all instruments
    Candy Dulfer: saxophone
    Prince vault also includes these credits:

• Jellybean Johnson - drums and backing vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Jesse Johnson - guitar, backing vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Jimmy Jam - keyboards, backing vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Monte Moir - keyboards, backing vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Terry Lewis - lead vocals, bass guitar, backing vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Jerome Benton - percussion, "mirror and holler" (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Jana Anderson - background vocals (credited as "Stella" (assumed))
    • Robin Power - female vocals (credited as "Grace" (assumed), but participation is unknown)
    • Elisa Fiorillo female vocals (credited as "Blondie" (assumed), but participation is unknown)
    • Karyn White - female vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Margie Cox - female vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)
    • Jill Jones - female vocals (credited, but participation is unknown)

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

Well I haven't calculated ratings in several days due to being abroad. But I will catch up with that this week, as I am back home. But with several threads going, there is a considerable backlog!

10. Lance LaSalle

The last track on the album is not really a song, and had no Prince involvment. As Prince has only been involved in the writing of 5/10 of the songs on this album (and his involvment on one seems to have been minimal), I"m not going to hold this album up for rating, and instead, tomorrow I'll start holding up songs from Graffiti Bridge; I'll write about that later today.

Here's "Pretty Little Women"

croquetlawns likes this.
  11. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I mean, Prince loved this one enough to use new lyrics and call it “the latest fashion” on graffiti bridge (although the original version of the latest fashion is superior to the one released in my view). It’s a decent enough slab of funk, but it’s overly long and seems a little laboured 3/5

12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Summertime Thang - OK, pleasant enough, but actually a bit boring. And the spoken bits are pretty awful. Nice piano though. 2/5.

13. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

My Summertime Thang
    3/5

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

"My Summertime Thang" is...okay. I prefer "The Latest Fashion." It does seem odd that he would rework the song and feature it in two projects released so closely together. Maybe he wanted to link them in some way? I'll give it a 2.75/5

15. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

My Summertime Thang

This is the original version, It was rerecorded as The Latest Fashion. My Summertime Thang is the superior one. It’s just a groove, but a great one.

This is a 4 out of 5

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My Summertime Thang
    Within all that usual bolstered 80s style production is a pretty lightweight song.
    1/5

17. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

True, although the original unreleased The Latest Fashion dates back to 1987 and uses a completely different backing track to My summertime thing. The unreleased (but leaked) The Latest Fashion is far superior to the released to my ears.

18. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"My Summertime Thang" - 2/5

19. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

My Summertime Thang

Pretty harmless ... 2/5

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

My Summertime Thang.

3/5

21. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The past few days I've been at times critical of some of The Time songs, not hearing much magic in them and being held down because of bad skits/raps/interludes. That's not my impression of My Summertime Thang. This is a fun groove. The raps/skits during the song do not distract too much from them. The song is quite long but doesn't overstay its welcome, I'm quite OK with the repetition on it. So yeah, the album ends on a high note. I can even take the skit (Pretty little women) after it.
    4.5/5

22. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"My Summertime Thing": Parts of the backing track are pretty nice, but there's much too little variation, and the result is rather boring. It's still better than "The Latest Fashion," though, which isn't saying much. Neither inspires me to bother digging out Prince's demo of the latter for comparison.

2.5/5

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. Lluvia Morada

Lluvia Morada Forum Resident

Data Bank:
    I heard this first by The Time, when I got the album at the time of its release. I like it well enough, a funky groove like most of their jams. When I heard the Prince original a couple of years later, I liked it as well. Now that’s the one I prefer. However, both versions irritate with the computer bleeps, although not so much now.

4/5, with half-point more for Prince’s version.

My Summertime Thang:
    Another funky groove by The Time, and like all their non-ballad cuts here, guaranteeing some serious non-stop partying. Repetitive in groove and length, as I’ve mentioned before, is a good thing for dance songs. This one I prefer over their take on DB, if only because it doesn’t have the annoying computer noises.

4.5/5

24. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

My Summertime Thang

Not that great but certainly better than The Latest Fashion as it doesn't have the irritating "go Morris go Morris go Morris" cahnting going on.

2.5/5

Michael Macrone likes this.
  25. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

My Summertime Thing

Another Ive never liked. Same for Latest Fashion. Just bloats the album for me, unneeded filler.
    1/5