Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Soft & Wet [jojowiki.com]

EndorphinMachine likes this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

3. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Soft and wet is the other song from this album (aside from the intro) that I can imagine being on a later album and not seeming out of place. Makes me want to dance every time I hear it - his first proper party banger. 4/5

The MEZ and sunspot42 like this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, first I recall hearing it was off The Hits as well. It certainly doesn't seem out-of-place there, maybe apart from the mid-disco production.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hell, I missed the opening of this thread. So, catching up:
    For You - An amazing opener. Very spiritual. A fanfare for a new age. The age of his majesty, Prince.
    In Love - pretty ordinary synthy disco pop. Like a watered down Earth Wind & Fire track.
    Soft And Wet - utterly irresistable! So damn funky groovy (and I'm not keen on this period!).

6. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

"Soft And Wet" is a great song slightly weakened by the outdated disco sound, but definitely the best on this album.

3/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Soft And Wet
    Fine song with some typical Prince elements and groovy potential. Just not the full sound and timeless production. I might even prefer the demo version, because it's not polished.
    3/5

Lance LaSalle and sunspot42 like this.
  8. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

A quality song with some terrific hooks in it, but ultimately my score is undermined by the tidal wave of greatness to come. 3/5.

9. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Soft and Wet

This is a fun song.

3.7/5

-George

10. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Soft and Wet"

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    4-11
    5-0
    Average: 3.6

11. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Crazy You", written and produced by Prince.

Crazy You
    LYRIC.

"Crazy You" was released as a B-side on the Uptown single on September 10th, 1980.

sunspot42, ziggytvs and Piiijiii like this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

'Crazy You' is a decent Song and probably was a good idea to keep it short, as to not wear out it's welcome. Although, it does have that dreaded 'Yacht Rock' Sound, but I would give it a 2 of 5 Rating.

I did not get around to replying for 'Soft and Wet', but would rank that Song 3 out of 5.

13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

An ok song 2.5/5.

14. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Crazy You 2/5
    Actually 'Yacht Rock' is a good way to describe it. A weak and boring song.

15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Crazy You has some groovy acoustic guitar but isn't to my ears the best song from that album or period (2.5/5 for me for this). I hear some George Benson influence when it comes to the guitar work, the intro specifically with the octaves being played which is cool

I always took tunes like this as an early prototype of the smooth jazz Prince would later perfect, for example on a song like "When The Lights Go Down" years down the road.

16. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Man, I wish I had the bandwidth for this thread. Love Prince. Saw him in concert twice; wish I’d seen him many more times.

Lance LaSalle and Gavaxeman like this.
  17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Crazy you ..

Not bad, not great - a 2.5/5

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Crazy You - A nice sleazy feel to this one. Acoustic guitar, congas. I like it.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

I like "Crazy You", maybe Yacht Rock is a good word for it, I don't know. It's certainly got a smooth jazz-pop feel...It also feels kind of unfinished: a verse and a chorus and...fade....

But it's pretty, and often, pretty is enough for me. I wouldn't turn it off. And the guitar is quite nice. 2.8/5

20. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Crazy You 3/5

21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Crazy You is like if Prince joined Seals And Crofts. Slight and inoffensive but it does have a nice vibe to it. 2.5/5

Piiijiii and Lance LaSalle like this.
  22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Crazy You"

I love this track!

Back in the early 90s, my best friend picked up this LP - neither of us having heard it before.

I used to be at his place most days, smoking weed, listening to tunes and jamming on our guitars - maybe some TV (Seinfeld was the big thing at the time - good times).

Maybe it's because it wasn't the Prince I'd heard over and over (hard funk, etc) but instead was a beautiful ballad with 'easy jazz' leanings without going over the line - P still kept it cool.

The album quickly became a real favourite of mine, with "Crazy You" being the standout.

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Crazy You 2/5
    It sounds like a reprise version of a more exciting main version. A chill ditty side dish.

24. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

His first released Ballad, wherein he peers into his crystal ball and predicts the career of Maxwell, who I can totally hear covering this.
    I never enjoyed this until I started getting into Bossa Nova years later, and its charms became apparent to me. Spare, Romantic and seemingly designed to show off his his versatility. Quite tasty guitar strumming. Says what it needs to say quickly and fades away to make room for the next Jam.

25. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

Soft and Wet: groovy and the first real glimpse of where he’d go. i love this track, though it is a bit to teen-aged boy horny. 3.5/5

Crazy You: one of my favourite songs on the album. it may be a bit quaint, a bit simple, but i think that’s part of its charm. it’s enchanting. 3/5

The MEZ and Lluvia Morada like this.