Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

The video is odd, but it could be due to the obscure lyrics that mix up sections of the book of Revelation with Prince’s own theology and myth. I have never liked any edit of this song and none of the remixes seem to really click for me. It seems like this song could be remixed well, but I have yet to hear a great remix/extended version. The album version is where it’s at.

With all of that said, it is one of the strongest songs on this album and one of my favorites from this particular era. Quite fitting that it peaked at 7 on the US chart.

7/7 (or 5/5 if that makes you feel better).

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

But that is not what I meant. I would have written “popular music.” I’m not even bothering to read the rest of your post. Please quote somebody else.

3. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "And Got Created Woman", written and produced by Prince (credited to Prince & the New Power Generation in both cases.)

Prince and the New Power Generation – And God Created Woman Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"And God Created Woman was recorded at Paisley Park in early December 1991.

Prince: all vocals and instruments except:
    Levi Seacer Jr: rhythm guitar
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Sonny T: bass
    Michael B: drums
    Dave Jensen & Steve Strand: trumpets
    Mike Nelson: trombone
    Kathy J and Brian Gallagher: saxes

"And God Created Woman" was also released on the 7 and Damn U singles.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

This is inevitably a step down from 7, but it continues that tracks massed Prince vocals and is another very good track - 4/5.

5. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our combined votes for "7" (24 votes):
    1 - 0x
    2 - 2x
    3 - 0x
    4 - 8x
    5 - 14x

Average: 4,325

6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

7. Lance LaSalle

Those weird jazzy gospel harmonies are just gorgeous and bring chills to me. The horns are awesome; overall this is great soul music of a kind that feels rooted in the traditional and utterly contemporary. Great to listen to. I actually like it more than "7" and more than most of the good songs on this album, to be honest (not to mention the bad ones.)

5/5

8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

for sure the best song on the album, which is hardly a difficult feat.

9. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

And God Created Woman

Yeah, nice song. Easy rolling soul music. The album saves most of its treaures till near the end. 4/5

Andrecrabtree and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

And God Created Woman
    I love the way this turns the page on the album and reboots it. It has a flavour of Smokey with Bacharach-like horns.
    A little gem.
    5/5

11. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

And God Created Woman
    4/5

12. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

And God Created Woman - this is so good, an album highlight for sure. Lovely textured vocals, subtle horns, smooth but quirky at the same time, the whole thing comes together effortlessly and perfectly.

5/5

13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Somehow this song, And God Created Woman, always sounded a bit anonymous/generic to me. Might be because the very first notes seem to indicate a standard R&B ballad. Listening to the song again it's indeed some easy rolling soul music (to quote a description above) but not something that I'd call essential. No, the R&B ballads on this album have not been standouts to me.
    3.5/5

Piiijiii and Tricky By Name like this.
  14. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

And God Created Woman

I love this song. It sounds so gentle, simple and sweet. The main attractions are the vocals and horns. The song sounds so smooth. Just perfect and so beautiful. One of the unknown beauties on this ambitious album and another unique highlight. Is this the most versatile album he ever made… ?

This is a 5 out of 5.

15. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

And God Created Woman

A very well sung and performed song. I like the NPG-band sound more than back in the days.
    In the end it's a perfect song, masterly composed with all that counter-plays and very deep on every level.
    I'm not sure why I can't really connect to it but I admire it more than I feel it.

I provide a "very good" rating ... 3.5/5

16. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

"And God Created Woman..." well, this one is pretty much perfect, isn't it?

It could have fit in well with the "jazzy" songs on The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale.

Like "Damn U," it is somewhat incomprehensible to me that this is virtually unknown outside of hardcore Prince fans (but at least "Damn U" was released as a single). Even among hardcore fans this one may be overlooked. I keep saying this but the horns are so beautiful. Vocally, again, this is perfection. This is just a wonderful song and I dearly hope there are more "jazzy" things like this tucked away in the vault!

I wasn't planning to rank this one so high but I have to rate it a 5/5.

At about 0:40, isn't that an uncredited Mayte repeating "bone of my bone?" It sure sounds like her. Whoever it is, they repeat a few lines throughout the song.

17. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

And God Created Woman: my favorite song on the album, and one I still listen to frequently.
    At the time, I was just getting into stuff like the Style Council and Prefab Sprout, and wouldn’t you know, this song sounded perfect next to those bands.
    This is Sophistipop of a high caliber, with breathtaking vocals. Love the key change in the last few seconds, as if he’s found Paradise.
    A highly effusive 5/5

18. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

And God Created Woman

5/5

In my top 3 songs on this excellent album.

He has a few of Garden of Eden songs and I always enjoy them.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Whatever was going on in Prince's mind was alright by me and I loved what he was doing. I didn't see anyone doing it any better (even if they might have influenced him in some way). He had such a wide palette of styles, which was his strength and the comparative weakness of others.

20. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

And God Created Woman...I love this song. Garden of Eden, Flesh of my Flesh, Heart of my Heart, Bone of my Bones,Soul of my Soul, like Prego, it's all in there. A part of it reminds me of Foreigner's "I've Been Waiting For A Girl Like You", but I really dug that sung back in the day too, and God Created Woman is definitely it's own thing. Prince does it again folks!
    4/5

21. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

And God created woman. 4/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  22. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

And God Created Woman - Interesting that the previous track blends in the book of Revelation while this track goes all of the way back to the book of Genesis - like a full circle. I was never captivated by the track so it would only be heard if I wanted to listen to the whole O(+> album. Since Prince’s passing, I have made a lot of compilations to listen to, picking favorite songs both well known and obscure, but for some reason this track has yet to make it on a compilation. And yet, when I read the title, my mind can recall the song so well. There is a lot to this little gem- and I should make sure to put it on a future compilation.

4/5

23. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I like the melody on this, and I can appreciate that its well arranged, and there's some great George Benson sounding influenced guitar on it. Having said something, there's something in the production that always sounds a little flat to me in the first half of the song, where the instruments don't quite cut through enough, and it flirts a little too much with smooth jazz for my taste. That said, it gets progressively more adventurous and exciting as it goes, and the last minute or so is really exceptional. 4/5

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  24. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

'glad to know i wasn't the only one who've always loved this song :agree:

i've always put in it on my 'fantasy' <D&P + Symbol> album since '92, over more 'known' songs like Insatiable, Damn U & My Name is Prince.
    in fact, let's continue that fantasy discography of mine :p now... this volume (which i've been tweaking since '92 ~) has always felt bit underwhelming compare to past volumes, no matter how i slice & splice it. it feels...i don't know, kinda pedestrian ?~! this era of Prince is basically him trying to find that lost 'commercial' stroke, going against his natural 'artistic growth' (which would've lead to more songs like 'And God Created Woman' instead of Tony M. stuffs ;)). he was heading into mid-30's at the time so we could kinda compare it to 'Let's Dance' era by Bowie or 'Born In The USA' by Bruce...again, i'm sure the main reason why Prince went through that whole 'name-change' fiasco year later is because of his 'staled' music, not all that other 'stuffs' :shh: anyhow, it's not bad but pale in comparsion to the past for sure. at least, we got the whole inspired 're-birth' period (93~95) because of this era...which is my favorite since the heydays and his last hurrah at truly 'relevent' artist (which he mucked it up by in-fighting w/ WB :cry:).

"N.P.G." (1992)

1. Thunder
    2. Gett Off
    3. Sexy M.F.
    4. Diamonds and Pearls
    5. The Max
    6. Money Don't Matter 2 Night
    7. Cream
    8. The Continental
    9. 7
    10. And God Created Woman
    11. The Morning Papers

Singles/B-sides

- Gett Off / My Name is Prince
    - Cream / Insatiable
    - Diamonds And Pearls / Sweet Baby
    - 7 / Damn U

25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

And God Created Woman
    Lovely balanced warm song. Yes it does have a bit of a generic sound but the jazzy twist works really well and it has interesting changes.
    4/5