Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I really enjoy Peach. I wouldn't mind a whole album with this trio playing bluesy rocky pop songs like this.
    4.5/5

2. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Peach

Another 12-bar blues and another great one. Alphabet St., Cream ... he's actually very good at it. This one is in the key of C sharp which is a little unusual.

These kind of songs are made for live shows, he played it on the 2nd night in London 2007 and the whole venue was smokin'!
    [​IMG]

At the other gigs I saw on that tour he played Guitar which is a similar crowd pleaser.

The studio version could indeed rock a bit more but I don't really care.

4.5/5

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

A nice palate cleanser after the awful Love Symbol. Not the most original cut but it's effective and enjoyable and better than all but maybe one or two cuts from his last LP.

4/5, not quite top-tier Prince but after that last record it feels like it.

Agree with this. It's what's keeping the song from scoring a 5/5.

This didn't even chart in America, shockingly enough. It did alright across Europe tho, going Top 20 in the UK and other markets.

Here's a YouTube version that streams for American audiences:

Another entry in Prince's early '90s retro parade.

4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Peach

Effortlessly good , a bit too similar to Cream , but a solid 4/5

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"Peach" - 4/5

after the last two albums, this single is a masterpiece by comparison.

6. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I missed yesterday, 2 Whom It May Concern is a 3/5 for me. Although of course it's not a (great) song, I Always enjoy listening to it a lot (why does this forum Always enlarge the a in Always?)

Peach 4/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  7. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Peach

did this one in his sleep

2.5/5

Lluvia Morada likes this.
  8. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Peach - a bang average blues rock number with pretty ropey lyrics. The three guitar solos go someway to making up for it, but as a single release this was a poor choice in my view and a far cry from most of his previous single releases. I'm not surprised it wasn't a hit.

In a live setting however it's a different story and those guitar solos gave P the chance to show his chops and strike a few crowd pleasing poses. The version towards the end of the Bagley's show on The Sacrifice Of Victor is a good example. I was at that show and will write more about it when we get to The Ride.

The long 'xtended jam' version that he pulled out regularly in the 2002 aftershows (and on the ONA discs) is however dull as ditchwater.

2.5/5

9. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Peach
    For me, this way yet another great Prince single that I saw on TV. I was too young to have heard most of his eighties stuff so I think it was The Hits, and the great reviews it got, that made me realise for the first time what an immense figure Prince was. On The Hits 2, this sounds great between "Kiss" and "U Got the Look".

It's such a simple, and at base, traditional song but so catchy. I loved hearing the famously vain Prince saying "I'm so ugly". If you must add a new song to a hits compilation, this is exactly the kind of safe bet hit single you want. Which is why it's such a surprise to me that it flopped in the US. As sunspot42 says, it was a decent-sized hit all across Europe. I put it down to the poor relations between Prince and his label in the US.

The Kim Basinger noises are a bit much, is my only cavil. 4/5

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Peach
    This was a real YES! moment for me when it came out. Absolutely brilliant.
    A French journalist at the time remarked that there is a slight T-Rex flavour to it and I'd agree that there's a similarity to Band A Gong (Get It On) and to Bolan's raunchy rockers in general.
    5/5

11. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Peach

I adore the live version of the song! Especially going into the Chaos And Disorder guitar part after that. The brilliant bootleg The Dawn is doing just that, which is a reason alone to mention it this early… It’s the best representation of the Gold era to come, that starts with this song. So, dust it off in time for the big era to come…

[​IMG]

The first time I heard this song was on the ACT II tour, just before the release of the song. To me, that show was the start of the Gold era Prince. He just had changed his name to [​IMG] and played songs like Come, Endorphinmachine and Peach...
    @Tricky By Name already linked to the 1993 live version from London, so here's another amazing live performance. This one is from the European MTV Awards in 1994:

The studio version is a great raw blues-rock song. To me, it sounds like an FU to Warner and a way to distance himself from the old Prince. It sounds like a effortless blues-rock song, but it's very effective, raw and fun!
    The promo video doesn't seem to be on YouTube, but here's a link: Peach - Prince - SAPO Vídeos

Great memories and all... this is a 5 out of 5!

12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Peach

Her hot pants can't hide her cheeks

Lyrics back in the sweet spot and that catchy groove is a winner. Kim's vocal sample maybe one of the most effective per millisecond ever.

[​IMG]
    "Uh"

It's a simple slam dunk 5/5

13. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Before we leave the symbol era behind, I wanted to post this - many of you will have heard it already but if you haven't then it is a must listen. It is a 20 minute live broadcast performance at the BBC, in front of a crowd of about 200 of us, which absolutely sums up this live era. It's about three o'clock in the afternoon, he has the full band and rig, and he just blows the roof off the concert hall. The energy was phenomenal - and then later that evening he plays the Wembley Arena show and then at 3am the next morning he plays two hours at Bagley's Warehouse. Three shows in 12 hours! Such incredible (and precious) memories....

Oh, and there's a brilliant version of Peach to round things off.... which is my excuse for posting it today!

14. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

15. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

A red hot, self deprecating blues jam. It's a peach.

4/5

16. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Peach...I always liked this song. It felt right at home on The Hits/The B-Sides Triple CD. Cool Blues Tune."She Made me glad to be a man"
    4/5

17. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

As others have pointed out, "Peach" is very simple but very effective. I mistakenly said that "The Morning Papers" featured three guitar solos but I was wrong, it was "Peach" I was thinking of. It was a relative rarity to her Prince spotlight his guitar playing (particularly on studio cuts) so, for that alone, "Peach" is great. The promo video is...a bit cheap. I don't think the low budget vibe did the song any good. I can't remember for certain, but is that the one that features Prince with a sucker in his mouth? Didn't seem like there was any effort put into the video. I love the lyrics in this one. Like the song, they are fairly simple but effective.

I love this but I can't give it a five...I'll say 4.5/5.

18. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

19. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

One thing I always enjoyed throughout P’s career is, much like the Beatles in the 60’s, there was always a clear line of demarcation between eras each year. Ok, we’re on to something else….
    Even though there was no studio album in ‘93, Peach seemed like the latest clarion call that a re-think was commencing. And that was always exciting to me. We’re entering what to me is one of the most fertile phases of his journey. He was almost purposely morphing back to more of an underground, darker style of music, with more Rock in it than we’ve heard in a while.
    I always wondered if it was just an organic transition, or if on some level the industry shift after the’91 Grunge earthquake prompted him to strap on his guitar more often.
    Peach has no odd chord changes, no switch up to a different tempo, notably no horn section, and no hip hop influence. It was a musical form that took little or no effort from him. So all that of course made it refreshing and exciting. A little tame compared to live versions, but still a jam. It sure isn’t a masterpiece, but as a peek behind the curtain of the Come/Undertaker/Gold era, I’m very fond of it.
    4/5

20. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

As a white guy who likes guitar music I'm always in for a rockier Prince. And on Peach he delivers plenty of rock guitar. So this song is right up my alley! :) I even got the single of this one at the time of release, probably more because of the digipack packaging. I never viewed this song as a grand artistic statement, just as a one-off to promote his The Hits package.
    The song still rocks and I'm still OK with that Kim Basinger sample. :)
    4/5

21. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

Peach

Great lyrics, great guitar, great vocal. It's one of those songs I never tire of listening to. 5/5

22. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Peach" : Another T.Rex rip, albeit heavier than "Cream," and more rock 'n' roll. That the background vocals are the catchiest thing about it was of course a considered choice, and I think the ingenious swapping of foreground and background elevates the proceedings above their blues-rock clichés. On the other hand, it might have been a stretch to declare it a Hit two months before the single was even released. Apparently everyone thought this was about the best of what was available at the time? Seemed a little bar-lowering.

3.8/5

23. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Peach

Love the guitar in this one.

4/5

24. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Hard to rate this one - it's basically just a rewrite of cream, but with a slightly weaker melody line and vocal performance, and the Kim Basinger sample I find irritating. The guitar, though, is incredible from 1:15 onwards. The actual song itself is a 2 (because it's a cheap knock-off of cream), but the guitar performance is a 5, I'll go with a 3/5 overall.

25. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "It's About That Walk", written and produced by Prince.

"It's About That Walk" was recorded at Studio Guillaume Tell in Paris on September 2nd 1993, while Prince was there for the Act II tour, on the same day as some unreleased recordings with Ophélie Winter.

Prince: all vocals and instruments except:

Levi Seacer Jr: guitar
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Mr. Hayes: keyboards
    Brian Gallagher: tenor saxophone
    Sonny T: bass guitar
    Dave Jensen and Steve Strand: trumpets
    Michael Nelson: trombone
    Kathy J: baritone saxophone
    Michael B: drums

"It's About That Walk" was released on The Vault...Old Friends 4 Sale in 1999.

Lluvia Morada and croquetlawns like this.