Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

At least Mavis sounds like Mavis on these tracks. But unfortunately they're somewhat generic and the lyrics - while topical - are somewhat cliché. I think he was aiming to write a spiritual classic here, but the melody isn't quite strong enough to lift it out of its light '90s gospel production rut. It's a bit Amy Grant.

3/5. It's not annoying, just not as inspired as it needed to be.

2. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Blood Is Thicker Than Time

This is one of the songs Prince that wrote especially for Mavis. Prince asked Mavis for lyrical inspiration, so he could write some more personal songs for her. One of those songs was Blood Is Thicker Than Time (Mavis: "He wrote that as a tribute to my family.")
    It's a nice ballad with The Steeles, but music wise it's a bit generic.

This is a 3 out of 5.

Ricky Peterson is playing keyboards:

[​IMG]

3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"Blood Is .." - 2/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Blood Is Thicker Than Time
    An excellent Prince ballad and nailed by Mavis. That three note opening reminds me of what he did later on Soul Sanctuary (Thieves In The Temple also).
    4/5

5. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Blood Is Thicker than Time... I enjoyed this song more than the previous two. It's not a blockbuster, but it kinda glides along like an Eagle soaring on the wind. Majestic. After reading @thekid87 's post, and confirming what the lyrics already conveyed to me, that Prince wrote this specifically about Mavis and her family, it makes the song that more enjoyable for me.
    3.5/5

6. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Blood Is Thicker Than Time - another good song and it works well with both Mavis and the Steele's voices. The backing is a little low key (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and the guitar solo is twee, but overall not much to dislike here. This album is better than I remember it, although they should have kept is shorter and not used some of the non-Prince songs which are little more than filler IMHO.

3.5/5

7. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Blood Is….
    From a songwriting perspective, a nice piece of work from Prince. Catchy riff, heartfelt lyrics, a solid Gospel effort.
    The production is anonymously treacly in an early 90’s manner. Imagine if that brief guitar solo had been Prince; the energy level would have instantly elevated. And the drum track would have breathed into life.
    Balancing both factions out, it’s a 3/5

8. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Blood Is Thicker than Time

... is ok. Best track from that album so far. I gotta listen to it without watching the video which is to pathetic.

3/5

9. Lluvia Morada

Lluvia Morada Forum Resident

Blood is Thicker Than Time:
    A very nice gospel song. Mavis Staples sings the topical, autobiographical and ultimately inspirational lyrics subdued but strongly, with able support from the Steeles. The backing track is uncluttered and effective. The only thing that could be better is another minute or so of this pleasant song. Should’ve made a bigger splash on the charts.

4.25/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I think the Prince tracks on The Voice are much better suited to Mavis than many of the ones on the earlier album, and I think you can get a pretty great Mavis / Prince album by combining the best of both of them. (You could get an even better one from rummaging around in the vault).

As for it sounding like it was recorded in the early 90s, what can I say but it was recorded in the early 90s. I can't seriously handicap a recording because of that.

"The Voice" (the song) is a highlight of their collaboration. 5/5. There's also an extended remix (by Prince) that was only released on a punishingly rare and expensive promo. Beware: this remix may contain traces of Tony M.

11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "You Will Be Moved", written by Prince and produced by Ricky Petersen; performed by Mavis Staples.

Mavis Staples – You Will Be Moved Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

This song was recorded in sessions that took place at Paisley Park in the summer of 1992; it was originally performed by The Ryde Dyvine on Prince's TV special.

Mavis Staples: vocals

Levi Seacer, Jr., Billy Franze and DAvid Barry: guitar
    Ricky Petersen: Organ, keyboards
    Paul Petersen: bass guitar
    Kirk Johnson: percussion
    The Steeles: backing vocals

Besides being released on Mavis's album, the song was also included in the side project compilation 1-800-NEW-FUNK in 1994 as well as featruing in a four song promo EP called Gospel Songs; in 2005 it was released as a B-side on a digital single of S.S.T.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

You Will Be Moved
    An echo of Willing And Able of course but this is a great jazzy gospel song and perfect for Mavis.
    3.5/5

13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

More social commentary from Prince, and another good choice of song for Mavis - 3.5/5.

14. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “Blood Is Thicker Than Time” (11 votes):
    1 - 0x
    2 - 1x
    3 - 5x
    4 - 5x
    5 - 0x

Average: 3,2955

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  15. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

You Will Be Moved - continuing the consistently strong streak at the start of the album. The use of the organ adds a more earthy and gospel feel to this one - and as @Purple Jim has mentioned it has a very similar vibe to 'Willing & Able'. I'd forgotten how prominent The Steeles are on this album - I think this really helps to provide a better context for Mavis' voice.

3.5/5

16. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

It's a nice gospel number and a great choice for Mavis, who knocks it out of the park vocally. There's an odd lack of low-end to the track though and it never quite soars. Good not great 3/5

Lluvia Morada and Tricky By Name like this.
  17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

You Will Be Moved

Yap ... 3/5

18. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

3.5/5 None of this stuff sounds like Prince, but it sounds pretty good. The old-school organ and choir is the right setting for her voice, which is fantastic.

19. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

You Will Be Moved

Mavis and The Steeles really shine! Nice church organ too. It does indeed sound a bit like Willing And Able.
    The song itself is good, but not outstanding. This song is all about the groove and feel. From the organ on it's a perfect fit for Mavis' voice and it lifts the song from generic to great. The song itself is another critical song about the position of African Americans in The States.
    Ricky Peterson produced the song. Again, he puts his brother Paul on bass, replacing Sonny's bass part.

The song, with The Steeles and Pops on guitar, was performed on the TV-special The Ryde Dyvine (at 20:45 minutes):

This is a 4 out of 5

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  20. masswriter

YWBM - 2/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. masswriter

my benchmark pertaining to Mavis is the unreleased "God Is Alive" where their collaboration is bottled lightning. Criminally, Prince tucked it away in his cluttered vault and yielded up these cold leftovers in its stead.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Gotta hang with the majority on this one 3/5. Her voice made it what it is or it would have rated lower, imo.

23. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep. God Is Alive is by far the best song by Mavis and Prince :righton:

24. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

I like Prince’s early 90’s social commentary phase, and I was grateful he had found a way out of the sex god persona as he navigated through his 30’s.
    This is one of the strongest examples, because everything clicks. Mavis, the Steeles, the lyrics, even the production all come together to create a very satisfying track.
    3.5/5

25. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

You Will Be Moved...Take us to Church Mavis! I enjoyed this Gospel tune and was indeed moved by its message and movements. I really like what Prince was doing here, with his ability to write for another artist, instead of just giving said artist, what he had at the moment.
    3.5/5