Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, doesn't sound like Prince, except perhaps the lyrics. Not bad, but not amazing either. Can't quite give it a 4, so a solid 3/5.

At least Mavis doesn't sound lost on this record.

2. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

You Will Be Moved 3/5

Its fine. Most of these songs are just okay / no lasting power. It sound like The Voice may be better as an album than Time Waits for No One...but I like the Prince productions on there better than this one. The track listing was just all wrong on TWFNO...or maybe Prince should have done the entire album.

3. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Prince stated that Patti Labelle is also featured on the "revamp" on the NPGMC club website once.

Lluvia Morada likes this.
  4. Lluvia Morada

Lluvia Morada Forum Resident

You Will Be Moved:
    A nice slow bluesy gospel tune. Great lyrics and singing, backing vocals and instrumentation. It works very well, and the organ seals the churchy feel. Perfect for Mavis Staples.

4/5z

Tricky By Name likes this.
  5. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

You will be moved - A proper song 3.5/5

Tricky By Name and Lluvia Morada like this.
  6. Lluvia Morada

Lluvia Morada Forum Resident

God is Alive:
    This is THE definitive collaboration between Prince and Mavis of which I’m aware. Sounds like Prince, with his late 80s instrumental vibe and rock guitar. He holds up well in the singing department, even with Mavis’ powerhouse vocals. Inspirational lyrics and message gives it a gospel veneer. Perfect!!

Why this wasn’t released at the time is mind- boggling! It could’ve been the highlight climax of Rave Unto the Joy Fantastic, the original version had it been released; I believe it was recorded by him for just that. Or once Prince moved on, it could’ve done the same function on the Prince only Graffiti Bridge double album, and have the reprise NPG remain combined with Part I. Or failing that, it definitely would have been more appropriate on the first Mavis Staples Paisley Park album than the likes of Jaguar. This brilliant song would’ve been a highlight on whatever release it had been included.

5/5.

Isaiah Tolbert and masswriter like this.
  7. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

You Will Be Moved

Another excellent track for Mavis 4/5

Tricky By Name and Lluvia Morada like this.
  8. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"You Will Be Moved": Your basic 12-bar blues, but pretty nicely dressed up and with a compelling groove. Perhaps not distinctively Prince enough to work for Prince, but more than good enough for an associated artist album track.

3.5/5

Tricky By Name and croquetlawns like this.
  9. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Oh yes!!

10. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

The next song on the album, "All Because of You" wasn't written by Prince (it was written by Billy Beck and Ben Brown) and appears to have had no Prince input here it is, anyway if you want to hear it.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Annoying and overproduced. 2/5

groovelocked likes this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "The Undertaker", written by Prince, Tommy Barbarella, Michael B, Levi Seacer, Jr. and Sonny T; produced by Ricky Petersen and Prince.

Mavis Staples – The Undertaker Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"The Undertaker" was recorded at Paisley Park in Summer of 1992.

Mavis Staples: vocals

Pops Staples: guitar
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Ricky Petersen: organ
    Sonny T: bass guitar
    Michael B.: drums
    Brian Gallagher, Dave Jensen, Kathy Jensen, Steve Strand, Michael Nelson: horns
    The Steeles: backing vocals

"The Undertaker" was also released as a B-side on the Time Waits For No One single

Later, in 1993, [​IMG] recorded a nearly ten minute long rehearsal version of this song which was released in 1995 as part of The Undertaker, as well as being offered as a fan club download later still. I plan to go over that song separately when we go over that album, so today's ratings shoujld only be fore to the Mavis Staples version.

Live versions:
    • The Sacrifice of Victor (VHS/Laserdisc, recorded June 14th, 1993, released 1995)
    • RAve Un2 The Year 2000 (VHS/DVD, recorded December 18th, 2000 -- 2 versions

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Jesus, 7 minutes? It's less annoying and overproduced than a lot of material from this period, so that's a plus. Great groove, and Mavis slots into it really well, so there's that.

I feel like a 3 minute version of this would leave me wanting more but like a lot of these over-extended jams there's just not 7 minutes of material here, although at least on this cut the band and Mavis find things to do that keep it moderately interesting, and avoid doing anything stupid.

A strong 2/5. Just too long. At 3-4 minutes this could be a 3...

14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I agree with @sunspot42 - it's a good song but waaaaaaaayyyy too long. Was the b-side version edited? Anyway, 2.5/5

Piiijiii and sunspot42 like this.
  15. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

The Undertaker
    3/5

Piiijiii and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

The Undertaker

Boy, this is not good ... 2/5

God Is Alive is by far the best thing Mavis ever did in the Prince universe ... 4.5/5

Isaiah Tolbert likes this.
  17. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

The Undertaker - the album highlight for me, and it's all downhill from this point onwards. I like the fairly minimalist groove and stretching it out for 7 minutes gives everything room to breath. It's all about the space. I really like the slinky horns and the guitar fills and solo. The Steeles once again add real texture with their backing vocals too. The whole thing is very similar to 'Come' - albeit with a lyric that is more 'Mavis-appropriate'! And a nice juxtaposition to the Prince version coming up soon.

4/5

18. Lance LaSalle

I think this is awesome and Is my favourite song on the album. I love the length and the way the band jams a little on it; contrary to others here I think that editing it down to single length would kind of detract from it. The groove/jam the song is written on is so nice I just wanna keep it going and going and going…

Prince was really going through a topical, serious phase lyric-wise in this time, considering the Tevin Campbell songs and now these.

4/5

19. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

Undertaker doesn’t grab me at all but plods away ok. I like this version better than the ones on the various VHS releases. I put that down to Mavis’s talent.

2/5

20. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Yes it's a simple groove, but it has some really nice variations, and - for me - doesn't feel like it lasts as long as it does. 4/5

21. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

I think this is a mistype @Lance LaSalle

It was actually on the European CD single of 'Blood Is Thicker Than Time' - in it's full length version. In the US the b-side was 'I'll Be Right There'. Time Waits For No-one did get a single release, with the b-side being Jaguar on the 7" and Christmas Vacation on the 12", but this was before The Undertaker was recorded.

22. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “You Will Be Moved” (16 votes):
    1 - 0x
    2 - 1x
    3 - 4x
    4 - 11x
    5 - 0x

Average: 3,3750

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  23. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"The Undertaker"

Mavis - 1/5
    Prince - 4/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  24. Lance LaSalle

I stand corrected; thanks.

Tricky By Name likes this.
  25. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

The Undertaker...I liked this song and the message is simple: Put down your guns, be a better influence on the younger generation, put down your crack pipes, stop the violence & stop finding ways for that old Undertaker to get you. It's inevitable, he will get you eventually, but Prince and Mavis have a solution to put that man off for the time being. Lord have Mercy...Just love that Mavis growl.
    3/5

Lluvia Morada and Tricky By Name like this.