Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Perosonally, I guess that the lyrics (even this one, with its hints of weapons and murder) are all connected with Prince's growing social consciousness that he'd displayed in Tevin Campbell's and Mavis Staples' albums. It's actually the most interesting development in Prince's music for some time, in my opinion. He was getting deeper and smarter about things, like most people in their mid thirties, as he was, at this point.

2. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"cherry cherry" - 3/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Cherry Cherry:
    The sheer affection that this whole album shows for these older R&B styles is one of the things I really enjoy about it. They’re pastiches, so, inferior to the originals. But the enjoyment they’re clearly deriving from performing in these idioms is quite infectious.
    This song in particular, it’s not quite at the level of what they’re paying homage to, but it’s fun to hear, even when the lyrics take a darker turn. And I love that Prince was really thinking about social ills. A LOT. I think there was nowhere else to go with the sex god persona, especially in his mid-30’s, and thank goodness he found other lyrical concerns.
    3/5

Lance LaSalle and Tricky By Name like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Cherry, Cherry
    A nice old-time soul number à la Smokey. Why not.
    3/5

5. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident

CC. 3.5/5.

Tricky By Name likes this.
  6. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

When I Lay My Hands On U is indeed an amazing song, just like the D’Angelo killer U Make My Sun Shine. :righton:

Piiijiii likes this.
  7. Musically, anyway. I found the subject-matter immediately a turn-off. Also a bit odd coming right around a collection called "High," something he most certainly did do, by the way, despite what Uber-fans like to think. But indeed, the funk on "Let's Work" is just utterly spectacular.

Piiijiii likes this.
  8. I also REALLY wish there were a Prince-vocal version of "Contest Song" in circulation. Love that tune.

9. This one was a very slow burn kind of song, one of his best from that era. Also enjoyed "Hallucination Rain" from that time, but I remember feeling like . . . is Prince getting into some stuff that might not do him well in the future? That's almost surely what was happening.

10. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

11. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Cherry, Cherry

I always loved the vibe of this song, a real 70s tribute (Smokey Robinson? George Clinton's early stuff?). The lyrics cover a serious subject (suicide), although it seems to start as a story about living life to the fullest...
    Sonny's vocals are pretty good. Prince is not very audible on this song (unlike most of the other songs on Exodus). The song was performed once at a Paisley Park one-off show.

Nice song :)

This is a 4 out of 5.

12. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Yeah, I can enjoy The Rainbow Children without paying too much attention to the lyrics.
    That religious stuff alienates me, especially when it comes from a cult section.
    The Work is great although nearly every live version from the ONA tour smokes it.

croquetlawns and thekid87 like this.
  13. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Cherry Cherry... I dig the retro soul vibe of this track. It gets a bit too wordy sometimes, but overall this song is quite enjoyable.
    3.5/5

14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Cherry Cherry

2/5

Lance LaSalle and croquetlawns like this.
  15. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Georgia, Georgia"—sorry, "Cherry, Cherry"—whips up quite the quiet storm; you almost can't believe that the lyrics you're hearing belong to the same song. As with "Count the Days."

3/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Cherry, Cherry 2/5 is about right. Not much I can add to that ha

Lance LaSalle and croquetlawns like this.
  17. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

Cherry Cherry

Corny as hell and generic sounding just like the rest of this album. 2/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  18. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Return of the Bump Squad", written by [​IMG], Sonny T., Michael B. Tommy Barbarella and Mr. Hayes; produced by [​IMG] (both credits attributed to The New Power Generation.

The New Power Generation – Return of the Bump Squad Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Recorded at Paisley Park in December 1994 or early January 1995, with an overdub by Eric Leeds on January 16th.

Sonny T: Lead and backing vocals, bass guitar
    [​IMG]: vocals, all instruments except:
    Eric Leeds: saxophone
    Mr. Hayes: keyboards
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Michael B: drums
    Mayté: backing vocals, Spanish vibes and hallucinations
    Eric Bradford, James MacGregor, Kathleen Bradford, Michael Bradford: backing vocals

A live version, recorded at Paisley Park in October 1995 was released digitally on NPGMC#2 in 2001.

croquetlawns and Piiijiii like this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Sweet R&B, recalls some of Prince's 80s hard R&B classics with an updated sound that doesn't annoy even when Sonny T. raps. More socially conscious lyrics, but the emphasis is on fun. This is the kind of song that, had it been done in 1991 I would have found super annoying, but the melody is good enough for me to enjoy this quite a bit.

3.8/5

20. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Return Of The Bump Squad

It's ok. Sounds like a zillion other 90s Prince songs. Yawn...

2.5/5

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Return Of The Bump Squad
    Similar to Get Wild but it's another fun, slamming funk number. A bit monotonous.
    3/5

22. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I lose interest in this after about the three minute mark - 2.5/5.

23. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

Return of the bump squad - Not into the layered vocals that are fairly monotonous. Could do with a melody. Backing track could be from any number of other songs. Doesn’t go anywhere. 1/5.

24. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “Cherry, Cherry” (19 votes):
    1 - 0x
    2 - 3x
    3 - 7x
    4 - 8x
    5 - 1x

Average: 3,2368

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  25. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Return Of The Bump Squad - Prince turning up the funk dial again. The looped beat is perhaps the least interesting thing about it, otherwise this is the essence of what the Exodus album is about. A band effort with the most traditionally funk band that he ever worked with. Yes, there are old-skool influences all over this, but I think that's exactly the point.

Here's a live version from Paisley in 1995

3.5/5