Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

P Control

Def not a great album opener lyrically but I do love the song. 3.75/5

2. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

It's fun. P sounds like Sir Mix-A-Lot on this one.

It's a bit cringy when Prince declares "I'm that Nigga" tho.

3.5/5

Remix on VH1: 4/5. I dig it when he goes into the "Get Wild" verse here.

3. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

At least he wants to be...

4. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

P. Control... I love this song. It's such a great song and story. So funny and fun. "And the moral of this motherphucker is Ladies, make 'em act like they know You are, was and always will be... P. control"
    5/5

Crystal Ball P. Control Remix...
    3rd Disc of Crystal Ball, need I say more?
    5/5

5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I think this is one of the album's highlights, but it's a pretty bad album! At least this track is kinda funny and catchy, but I feel like none of the released versions actually nails it.

6. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

This. Inauspicious is what it is.

I shouldn't like this song at all, and I don't.

1.5/5

7. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

P Control

I have always quite liked this one.

3.5/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

A few random thoughts about The Gold Experience:

This CD is obnoxiously loud! I remember in late 95 I worked at a gift shop here in Atlanta and we sold CDs there, so we employees would load up the 5 disc player to have background music for the shift. Whenever this started it scared the hell out of everyone!

I hate the NPG Operator nonsense.

I always thought that the album being out of print had somehow to do with the fact that it was on both Warner Bros. and NPG Records. I don't think the Italian lawsuit was settled until 2007 or so, and the album was out of print long before that.

I once had a chance to buy the US gold vinyl promo of this, probably for about $20 but stupidly did not. That thing goes for a lot of money these days!

9. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

Love P Control. Strong lyrics, great beat, a favorite from this choppy album. 4.5/5

10. Pince3121

Pince3121 Forum Resident

This was a banger back in the day! Catchy and fun! Used to love to blast this in the car Great opener imo. 4.5/5.

11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Endorphinmachine", written and produced by [​IMG].

Prince – Endorphinmachine Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"Endorphinmachine" was recorded at Paisley Park on January 2nd, 1993, on the same day that "Come", "Dark", "Dolphin", "Dream" and "Laurianne"were recorded. The original recording was part of the Glam Slam Ulysses theatrical stage show, as part of the "Calypso" segment.
    "Endorphinmachine" had rather extensive overdubs recorded in 1995.

[​IMG]: all vocals and instruments
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Mr. Hayes: keyboards
    Sonny T: bass guitar
    Michael B.: drums

"Endorphinmachine" was also released as a B-side on [​IMG] Hate You, as well as its own promo single in Japan. A shortened video was released on the Interactive CD-Rom. A live version recorded in 1994 was also released on the NPG Music Club Edition #6, in 2001.

"Endorphinmachine" was played regularly live in 1995, 1996 and 2013; and occastionall in many other tours between 1993 and 2016.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

A good rocking song with a super catchy guitar/organ riff, a cool wah-wah keyboard solo, some nice squally guitars; but a bit too overcooked in my book until what is catchy becomes annoying.

Warner Brothers' delay of this album made it worse.

3.3/5

13. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Endorphinmachine
    another 5/5
    I love everything about it, including the synths and the cowbell

I also love this Original version, without the polishing:

14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Gold is the last Prince album I bought on release, so either there's some rubbish coming up or my tastes have changed, as I've enjoyed revisiting the first two tracks - 4/5.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

DR Database lists the DR for this album as 7 on average. One track has a DR of 5. Welcome to the age of digital compressors.

"Endorphinmachine" is loud and obnoxious, although it's nice to hear Prince doing something other than a '70s funk retread. Something about the sound of it reminds me of Bowie's late '90s albums, Earthling and hours... (at least, the handful of louder tracks on that album). Kind of a tinny, hollowed-out, really obnoxiously-compressed sound, with echo and reverb settings that make everything sound like it was recorded in too hot a room.

I should like this more than I do, but it's just giving me a headache.

2/5

alugjk and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Endorphin-machine

More like it , a 4/5 , should have been the opener

17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Endorphinmachine

Would have been a solid album opener. It's a kinda average - not bad - song with excellent musicanship and a booombastic sound ... but all that glitters ain't gold.
    The first minute is really great but then you recognize that the song doesn't have much substance, a pity ~ I would like to like it more. The cowbell sucks.
    I'm glad it wasn't included on the Come album, wouldn't have fit.

But in the end I would say that it is still a good song ~ 3.3/5

I don't need anybody to tell me that I have too little humour or don't get the deeper meaning of songs if I give 'em a low rating by the way.
    It it's poorly executed ...

18. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i should like this...n i did :winkgrin: 4 awhile that is when he was performing it live (& RAW) during Act II tour/aftershows.
    then when the studio version was leaked (Original Come version), i was rather disappointed and when the official version was released...i just didn't care for it at all.

when he brought it back to the setlist with the 3rdEyeGirl, it was rather refreshing so it probably means he overcooked it in the studio as he did many times over with lot of these rock songs post-PRain.

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Endorphinmachine - 4.5/5

Great tune and I love how this album sort of has two openers, P Control sort of acting as the "prelude" and this as the "alright let's get this started" tune. It is a fun rocker and I love the overall vocals by Prince, and his guitar solo on the track too

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Endorphinmachine
    I'm in all the way. Go baby.
    5/5

21. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

The European general release is actually even harder to find, there were less of these pressed than the gold promo apparently. I'm lucky enough to have them both, but as others have said if there is any Prince album that needs a remaster it is this one!

22. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Endorphinmachine - this one is all about the funk breakdown. The rest of it is pretty average, and the mastering hurts my ears. It translates much better live, both back in the 90's and as @YMC4 said more recently with 3rdEyeGirl. A slow start for the Gold Experience, but luckily there is some really good stuff to come!

2.5/5

Piiijiii, YMC4 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “P. Control” (28 votes):
    1 - 2x
    2 - 5x
    3 - 4x
    4 - 9x
    5 - 8x

Average: 3,4018

For what it's worth, our votes for “P. Control (remix)” (8 votes):
    1 - 2x
    2 - 2x
    3 - 2x
    4 - 1x
    5 - 1x

Average: 2,6250

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Wow. That was one productive day then! I'm already impressed when he records a song in a single day, sometimes even two. And then repeats that the next day and the one after that. But six songs in one day... wow.

25. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Endorphinmachine

Prince brings the rock and the screams. Talk about energy! Jams and bangs.

5/5