Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

EndorphinMachine - Great song but awful version on this album. Gets points reduced for the plastic production and cowbells 3/5.

2. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

What's wrong with some cowbell? [​IMG]

Purple Jim and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Holy crap Endorphinmachine is completely great. Amazed to see it getting a mixed reaction, though there *is* plenty of love.

Tommy Barbarella, turns it on the bridge... then that delicious wait of a couple of bars for His Royal Badness to kiss the sky, leaning into to a staggering solo, Maybe it's not quite as flashy as he could often be, but it's nonetheless satisfying.

Excellent middle 8 / contrasting section. Just all adds up to one of the best of the man's chest puffing, muscular, swaggering rockers. Live, fresher sounding versions probably have the edge, but the studio take is no slouch and before I ventured a toe into the world bootleg offcuts, I was just fine with the Gold Experience cut.

5/5 with plenty of room to spare.

4. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident

EndorphinMachine. Here’s another that Prince worked on into near-blandness. I love the version from the Interactive CDR. But if I’m rating the over-produced, cowbell heavy version on Gold…

3.75/5.

5. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident

Oh, and the person above that pointed out the awful “NPG Operator” bits is spot on. I really wish Prince had someone to slap his hand whenever he tried to add a segue or any speaking or ‘comedy’ interlude on his albums. I think he laid off it moving forward (or at least I hope he did), but from Kirstie Alley to Exodus to Gold - they all make me cringe.

6. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

There is at least one more 5/5 to come for me too, maybe more!

7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I've always been a bit overwhelmed by Endorphinmachine. It all seems to be a bit too much. Nevertheless, it is a great rocker. And yes, the cowbell is great as well. I might not say that it needs more cowbell but I'm fine with its current amount. Some nice guitar work and raw Prince screams add to the song as well. It is a bit too busy, but the quality shines through.
    4/5

8. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Endorphin Machine.

I hate saying the phrase 'this rocks' but... well, this rocks!

1 point off for the cheesy keyboard solo

4/5

9. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

P Control

5/5

I was mad for while at P Control because I wanted Interactive to kick off the Gold Experience but overtime I grew to love it.

Endorphin Machine
    5/5

Such a great rock song. I have no problem with the cowbell.

10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Well, I think Emancipation makes this album look like Purple Rain, but I catch your drift!

11. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

you might have a point ... emancipation is weak sauce, too. I'll take chaos and disorder over both of these ....

12. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i didn't even know the trio version was on the cd-rom :(
    as i said, i've never explored it other than to hear Interactive a few times (even that was a chore ~ some kind of silly treasure hunt in order to get to that song :shake:).
    i'm sure i either sold it or use it on the trade when Crystal Ball was released (full version of Interactive ~) so there's no way for me to check now but...lil' embarrassing ~
    i don't even remember that version being on any kind of boot back then....or am i forgetting something (mr. kid) ??

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  13. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Endorphinmachine... Love this song, right from the start this tune comes out rocking! Great all the way through, Prince starts this Album out with a great one two punch, proving he ain't no Billy Jack Bitch!
    4.5/5

14. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Endorphinmachine

I love this, cowbell and all. And yes, this rocks!

I am shocked that so far I seem to enjoy this album more than most. That won't last much longer.

5/5

15. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Endorphinmachine": Kind of a lost opportunity here. Prince didn't generally improve things the more he fiddled with them, and this is no exception. There's a great track under the clatter, but it's hard to hear through to it.

3.8/5

16. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

since Interactive was an audio track on that release, all you had to do to listen to it was put it in a cd player and press play, not too much of a hassle? ;)

17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

really?? i just remember having to click on bunch of small objects like a video game in order to access anything :shrug:
    then again, it was only around this time (early 95' ish) that i bought my 1st computer so i was a total novice ~

i don't even think i've ever tried it on the cd player :( (have to admit that's bit Spinal Tap-ish ~)

18. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

I really don't mind the NPG Operator. *Shrug*.

Isaiah Tolbert and Lance LaSalle like this.
  19. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

Endorphinmachine is a fun rocker, but a bit generic. 3.5/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Shhhhh", written and produced by [​IMG].

Prince - Shhh Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

"Shhh" is one of the older songs on the older, having been first recorded as far back as 1992 and made into a Tevin Campbell song, who released it in 1993. Our discussion of the earlier version is here.

In early 1994 [​IMG] re-recorded the song at Paisley Park.

[​IMG]: vocals and all instruments except:

Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Sonny T.: bass guitar
    Michael B.: drums
    Mayté: vocals

Remixes were later made for The Versace Experience (Prelude To Gold) promo cassette, which was commercially released in 2019. Prior to the 2019 release, the Versace Experience remix, (subtitled "(X-Ceprt)" was issued as the B-side on the My Computer single.

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I love this song. I really liked the Tevin Campbell version and I like this one with Prince's vocal and the rockin' guitar better. This one seems less overcooked than thers, and I note that the credits only credit one keyboardest rather than two: maybe this is why it feels so much more palatable to me than yesterday's track which had so much going on that I couldn't hear anything over the smashed flat mastering.

4/5 for me.

Tricky By Name and Purple Jim like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Hmmm. Another retread.

I find it kind of a rambling, sprawling mess. In my review of Tevin's version - which I gave a 2/5 - I said I felt like I'd heard this a thousand times before already.

Make that 1,001 now.

2/5, and I'm contemplating scoring it 1/5 because I'm so bored with this stuff. Worse, it's too annoying to make good background music.

Tricky By Name and masswriter like this.
  23. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I could do without Mayte's moaning through the intro, but some great drumming from Michael B makes up for it. It's another Prince seduction song, but he's generally good at this, despite the length of this version: 3.5/5.

It also reminds me of bits of one of Flight of the Conchords great Prince pastiches (maybe The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room?).

25. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"Shhh" - 2/5

Tricky By Name and sunspot42 like this.