Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Dated disco funk, but some interesting hurried parts, and some small hints in the synth line of things to come. Saved almost single-handled by the Jelly Jam part in my opinion (especially the rhythm guitar in that section). 2.5/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

That little fast riff reminds me that funky lead guitar in Alphabet St., but the latter song does it so much more effectively

Mal and Joker to the thief like this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I don't mind it, but it's a track that doesn't "earn" its 6 1/2 minute runtime, as if he was aiming for that 12" disco hit that didn't really happen

2/5

4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Just as long....

Again, nothing offensive, but not particularly memorable, and a bit too long 2.5/5

Lance LaSalle and sunspot42 like this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think the big problem with it is it doesn't merit the runtime, which cries out for an edit. Only problem is, what do you keep and what do you toss? The best part of the song in my opinion is the closing instrumental. So there goes the obvious cut. Now what?

It feels like the track would have been better if it had been busted into two songs. The first half or so could comprise a shorter vocal track, while the instrumental jam might actually hold up - even at a 6 minute runtime - as a separate instrumental cut.

I wonder if he had similar trouble in the studio trying to figure out what to do...

:shrug:

6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I do think Just As Long in a way is sort of a test run for his first big record that we'll probably hit within a week that perfected the catchy vocal portion followed by a brilliant instrumental outro that is stronger than the vocal segment

7. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Just As Long As We're Together

I enjoy this song, though it does go on a bit long.

3.2/5

-George

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Another preview - during the jam there is a brief section of DI rhythm guitar that is reminiscent of the funky guitar break in "Mountains".

Some great bongo playing on this track - lots of great individual parts here but somehow it's just not happening as a whole.

9. Lance LaSalle

I k ow exactly the part you mean; I was thinking it resembled the fade of “America.”

Mal likes this.
  10. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

I really quite like the Jelly Jam bit, actually.

3/5

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm falling behind already, not keeping up with my homework...

The vibe you are not liking is somehow right up my alley. Listening to this song for the first time ever right now and I'm liking it a lot. I'll give it a 4/5 even though I said I wouldn't rate the songs being a newbie to most Prince albums. This song is a winner in my book.

Off to a good start, already makes me want to own this album.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  12. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Just as Long as We're Together"

1-0
    2-4
    3-6
    4-6
    Average: 3.0031

13. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Baby", written and produced by Prince; engineered by Tony Vicari and Prince.

Spotify: Baby
    LYRIC.

The song was also released as a B-side to "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad" in January, 1980.

"Baby" was originally recorded in summer, 1976; and two other versions were recorded in 1976-1977. While a string orchestra was initially employed to add strings to the song, Prince decided he preferred synthesized strings.

Patrice Rushen, uncredited, plays synthesizer on this song.

14. Lance LaSalle

It seems like every early Prince album had these sort of mushy, flowery r&B ballads.

I mean, the lyric is actually quite interesting: a song about young couple discussing what is clearly an unplanned pregnancy strikes me as being rather daringly relevant; and I quite like the blue keyboards (shades of late seventies Bee Gees, as someone above mentioned) and the frilly flourishes of the backing vocals. But there's just something slightly silly about it, and not in a good way: perhaps it's the complete lack of irony with which it's delivered.

Anyway, like most of the songs on this album, I do enjoy it, but it stops shy of greatness for me. 2.7/5

15. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Baby ..

Not a stand out, but again, not a bad song ...kinda easy to take for granted how easily Prince bashed out these ballads so consistently, and very sad we won’t get any new ones. So a 2.5/5 Again

16. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

"Baby" makes me physically ill. Pretty vocal tho.

2/5

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Quiet Storm" really cast a massive shadow over R&B didn't it, even if it never quite translated to such influence over on the pop charts. You can sure hear it on "Baby".

Prince is still imitating more than innovating or synthesizing. The over-the-top vocals and Love Boat-lush arrangement practically elevate this to camp. If it were a better tune it might actually work, but it's not remotely memorable apart from a few of the more-orgasmic moments of the vocals and synthetic strings.

I'd give it a 2. At least it's fairly brief. These things tended to draaaaaaaag. "Quiet Storm" was 7+ minutes, and everybody else thought they should do the same. Er, no. You shouldn't. You ain't Smokey!

:biglaugh:

18. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Just As Long As We're Together - actually a highlight for me. Love the minor chord in the chorus, and the one man jam at the end sounds organic (and orgasmic). 3/5

Baby - Standard soft rock ballad backing. I suppose the lyrics make a change from the usual 'I Love You Baby' themes, at least. 2/5

19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Baby I would give a 2/5 as well. Not bad, but a 2 in terms of Prince standards

Listening to each individual song carefully so far it is interesting to hear the beginnings of an artist who we already know is great, but at the time was still making his way into that greatness

Arthur Pewty and Lance LaSalle like this.
  20. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I like the vocal on this one, but it’s all a bit lightweight, and if he done this song two years later it’d have come out very different. 2.5/5

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Baby
    A meat nor fish super sweet track, that's also all over the place, especially because of the drum parts. The mellow falsetto vocals have become a bit tiresome by now. Something needs to change there, like Iggy telling Ziggy to use his voice in a lower register.
    2/5

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Baby
    I agree with our host that the song's topic is very interesting.
    The vocal performance is amazing.
    I actually like it a lot but there are some killer ballads following soon, so
    3/5

Lluvia Morada and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Baby 3.5/5
    The Piano & A Microphone tour performance was great.

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Baby"

Order is restored, kicking off "The Other Side" of the LP with this incredible track featuring an amazing lead vocal. Prince seemed to really love his falsetto Philly soul (see emancipation for two such covers) and who can blame him? This succeeds in every way to me - unlike the previous track it sounds perfectly rounded. It's easy to forget he's playing everything (almost...) when it all gels together like this.

As for the strings - "they're real and they're spectacular!".

Apparently they were arranged by Charles Veal, Jr., through his association with Patrice Rushen. Both are given "special thanks" in the credits (as are "You!" :)) - presumably a more explicit credit would have spoiled the one-man-band promo?

I hear a moment in the strings that reminds me of Johnny Pate's arrangement on Curtis Mayfield's "Give Me Your Love". Incidentally, I see some Prince in the Priest character from Super Fly - there's a similar emotional detatchment (also, the coke spoon / love symbol jewellery similarity is quite striking).

It's always funny to see the old Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed credit with the asterisk - even then there's often more uncredited assistance. Not that this takes anything away from his talent - but the marketing was always tightly controlled to present and maintain this image. That's show business!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  25. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Baby: probably my least favorite song on the album, but... again, those multi tracked backing vocals! So tasty.
    I like the little bit at the end of the verses that he would later use on Eye Hate U many years later, and I do like the lyrical twist at the end.
    But the string arrangement makes the song more sappy than it should, and is rather pedestrian (especially in light of his collaborations with Clare Fischer later , which were always daring and inventive).
    I agree, this was probably designed for Quiet Storm airplay, but comes nowhere close to Smokey Robinson quality. 2.5/5