Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Dance 4 Me
    This is very generic. Sounds like a Janet Jackson or Paula Abdula song or something. Annoyingly repetetive too.
    1/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Beachedboy

Beachedboy Forum Resident

Dance 4 me.

So much (groovy) potential. Wasted opportunity. Yet again the production is all wrong. If it had have been on 20ten it could have been killer, listen to Act of God or Sticky then go back to this. Night and day with warm production versus Dance 4 Me's cold sterile funk.

Still, it is a good song. Another easy single, but Prince wasn't in single mode by then. The albums did well so why bother with singles.

I remember people went crazy over this one when it came out. The drum beat is funky as hell, it's all in the hi hats! Chicken scratch guitar, synths...it's all there. What if give to get my hands on the multitracks and have a go at remixing this in to something a bit drier and even funkier. Like actually putting some maracas in when he says "make me wanna pick up maracas and just shake". In the breakdown when the guitar comes in that Pet Shop Boys style arpegiated synth thing is really annoying and takes away from the guitar. That can go for a start.

The instrumental bit around 3.15 is great though. Fond memories of this one on my iPod as I finished my last year of school. I think the Michael Jackson tickets went on sale around the time Lotusflow3r came out too so it was exciting and the dawning realisation of leaving school and going in to college not knowing what I actually wanted to do was in the back of my mind! All while playing Dance 4 Me and Ol' Skool Company on my headphones trying not to get caught listening to music in i.t and maths lessons.

I'll go 4 out of 5. Regardless of production issues it is a good song.

3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"dance for me" - 1/5

he never should've pacakged this CD next to LotusFlower ...

croquetlawns and thekid87 like this.
  4. Beachedboy

I agree there. Maybe it should have come out late 2008 as a hit n run album.

croquetlawns and masswriter like this.
  5. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

Dance 4 Me 2.8/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  6. Tain

Tain Forum Resident

Dance 4 me

Quite embarassing considering what he recorded one year later. Totally agree with @Beachedboy, this is like a sketch for Sticky Like Glue (you doesn’t say exactly that but means it). A little better than the first two tracks of the album though.
    2.5/5

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

First thing in ages that sounds like a hit, although the audio is curiously muffled. What's up with that?

Maybe this is what Prince would have been doing in the late '80s and early '90s if he hadn't abandoned the Minneapolis Sound for whatever the heck it was he was doing from Diamonds And Pearls onward.

A minute too long though, like most material post-Lovesexy. Still, this is a 4/5. Prince sounding like Prince for a change.

Piiijiii and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Dance 4 Me

This is an improvement compared to the previous two songs. It’s slightly interesting with hit potential and the groove is ok. Prince’s vocals (this is not Camille) is distracting and too sterile. Camille was organic and funky… Dance 4 Me is not.
    In the end it’s too dull and halfway the third time I played it in a row I turned it off… I guess it’s a nice song to do the dishes:

The live version is better than the album version. He sings the song in his normal register, throws in a guitar solo and combines it with some P-funk chants (like on the show at La Cigale in Paris). Nice.

This is a solid 2 out of 5…

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  9. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Oh, so this is the autotune album! Possibly the most instantly dated Prince has ever been. Maybe there are some okay songs here, but the sound of this album is so repellent I can't bear to hang around to remember / find out.

10. Summer of Malcontent

Spoiler: I think 20Ten is actually a really good album. Could have been better (in terms of other available tracks and sequencing), but it's a breath of fresh air after the stinkers he'd been releasing in the years leading up to it.

Beachedboy and Piiijiii like this.
  11. Summer of Malcontent

The most interesting thing about 'Dance 4 Me' is that it's the second to last commercially available, physical single Prince released in his lifetime, from that weird twilight period when he wasn't releasing albums, but was releasing singles in Switzerland.

I guess there's a story behind that, and I guess it's a strange one.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  12. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

"Dance 4 Me" is one of the better songs on the album.

3.75/5

13. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

If u don't like Dance 4 Me...u just mad cuz u cant dance. o_O:wiggle::laugh:

4/5

sunspot42, Piiijiii and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Chocolate Box = What was he thinking when he got jams like Turn Me Loose, Coco Boys and Player sitting around collecting dust? 1/5

Disco Jellyfish is decent though alone 3/5. This could have just been a instrumental jam to close out the album. The video is actually pretty cool though.

15. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Dance 4 Me... Another song that I enjoy. Prince with a nice dance-able song, with some signature Prince licks. This is fun party time music!
    3.5/5

sunspot42 and Piiijiii like this.
  16. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Dance 4 Me

2.5/5

don’t like the remixes

17. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

Dance 4 Me

Reminds me of early 80s Prince, which is always a good thing.

4/5

sunspot42 and Piiijiii like this.
  18. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

:cheers:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Isaiah Tolbert and Purple Jim like this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "U're Gonna C Me", written and produced by Prince.

Prince – U're Gonna C Me Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

This is a remake of a song Prince originally released on One Nite Alone...in 2002 (actually it was originally aired online.) Our discussion of that s that version is HERE.
    This version was recorded between September 2008 and January 2009 at either Paisley Park or 77 Beverly Park Ln.

Line Up:
    Prince: all vocals and instruments

An edited promo single of this version was released; the original version was included on Anthology: 1995-2010 in 2018.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    croquetlawns likes this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

I can dance. I can also speak Portuguese.

Both very very badly.

o_bleak_tv and Piiijiii like this.
  21. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Wrong link...

22. Lance LaSalle

After checking all three links, I found what you meant. It's fixed.

Piiijiii likes this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

This is much better than the 2002 version. Having a real arrangement gives the melody a definition it lacked then. Oh, I'm not saying that it's a masterpiece, but I definitely like it while it's playing. It's one of those slightly country-ish R&B songs. Decent.

3.3/5

Piiijiii, sunspot42 and Tain like this.
  24. Tain

Tain Forum Resident

U Gonna C Me
    Weird feeling for me these MPLSound tracks for me… this one especially is the kind of mellow track i hated from him. It’s like coming from a children garden. Curiously i like it these days (of wild). Don’t know exactly why but i feel this album works generally better on the sweet side (with a few exception).
    Prince doing his Stevie Wonder ballad is 3.5/5

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Beachedboy

Forgot to mention Dance 4 Me owes a lot to this classic...

Tain likes this.