Odd cameos in films that are often missed

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Aug 23, 2020.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And this would be?

2. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Are you asking for the line or the actor?

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Jack in Casablanca Revisited

Timeless Classics likes this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What is the line? Who's your fav?

5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Alan Parker, the film director, appeared in his movie Evita as a film director.

6. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

The line was "this gun shoots backwards, I've just killed myself" ... brilliant use of a cameo.
    Favorite actor: William Holden

hbbfam likes this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Frank Oz in The Blues Brothers. He's the prison officer who returns the items Jake Blues checked in when he arrived in Prison.

Keanu Reeves in the TV movie Letting Go (which starred John Ritter and Sharon Gless). He played a teenager who is in the Audio Store and keeps cranking up the volume on the stereo display to the max.

Anthony Daniels in Star Wars - Episode II - Attack Of The Clones. In addition to playing C-3PO, he also appears as a patron in the Bar that Anakin and Obi-Wan enter.

Peter Fernandez and Corrine Orr in Speed Racer (2008 Movie). Fernandez was the voice of Speed Racer and Orr was the voice of Trixie in the 1960s English dub of the Speed Racer anime. Both did voice work in the live-action Speed Racer movie.

Mylene likes this.
  8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

George Harrison in The Life of Brian.

dlokazip and eeglug like this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

If I had to bet money, I'd say that Clint is the guy at 28:28 but they overdubbed someone else's voice.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  10. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The Clash in The King of Comedy - credited as "Street Trash" I believe. Joe Strummer in focus. Mick Jones a little out of focus on the right.

[​IMG]

BSU, Sean, hi_watt and 6 others like this.
  11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That's the band's manager, Kosmo Vinyl, in focus...NOT Joe Strummer.

Far right (foreground and blurry) is singer/actress Ellen Foley - the female singer on Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" album, sometime girlfriend of Mick Jones, inspiration of "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and Public Defender Billie Young on Season Two of Night Court.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dlokazip, pscreed, Scopitone and 8 others like this.
  12. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Ellen Foley was the inspiration for "Should I Stay or Should I Go"?? I did not know that

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Nah, that's a small part. And fully credited.

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

I don’t know if this is true, but I’ve seen it said that Steve Ditko, comic artist and part-creator of Spider-Man, can be seen in a street shot in Taxi Driver?? He did live in New York most of his life.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

oh yea, Coppola in Apocalypse as a news cameraman/reporter

Harrison Ford in American Graffiti 2

Sean likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Also in the film of Hair but more than a cameo

Twyla Tharp has a cameo in Hair

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

That's debatable. The story goes that Benny visited the set while they were shooting a scene in Rick's cafe. Someone (perhaps Benny himself) suggested that Benny join the extras populating the busy cafe scene, either as a waiter or as one of the customers sitting at a table.

I've never seen a screen shot in which Benny is identifiable. (And yes, I've seen the link in the post above. It is clear that none of those people is Benny.) My guess is either the story is true - he is in the film, but it's impossible to spot and positively identify him; or the story is false - he did visit the set but somehow the story got got exaggerated and added the false detail that he appeared on camera, when he actually did not.

P.S. I have Benny's autobiography and his biography by his daughter, but can't get my hands on them right now. I do not recall any confirmation of this rumour in either book.

link provided upstream
    Jack in Casablanca Revisited

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm not an expert but based on the pictiures on that site, Jack Benny may have been there but those pictures don't show him conclusively. Specifically the last three pictures; the hair part and the eyebrows are different from the picture they show of Jack Benny from that time. If anything only the first few pictures give his softer body shape.

Boom Operator likes this.
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

20. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

In the rather excellent Source Code, directed by Duncan Jones (AKA Zowie Bowie), the plot of which has a whiff of Quantum Leap about it, the main character's dad is played by Scott Bakula - you only hear his voice on the phone.

Chris DeVoe and Simon A like this.
  21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

There's a cameo by Herge, the creator of Tintin, in most of the Tintin books and all of the TV adaptations, usually as a face in a crowd scene. Good fun to spot once you know what he looks like.

Spielberg's big-budget Tintin movie opens with Tintin being sketched by a street caracaturist - this is Herge, and the caricature he draws is exactly the style of the original comics.

Chris DeVoe and Drifter like this.
  22. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Forum Resident

Raymond Chandler in Double Indemnity

23. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

How about Weird Al Yankovic in Bill & Ted Face the Music?

Chris DeVoe and '05Train like this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Sylvester Stallone cameo in ‘Stayin’ Alive’, which he directed.

Mylene, 905, guy incognito and 2 others like this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Pappy on a Baa , Baa , Blacksheep. Weird because me and Paw in Law was talking about that today. Maybe someone already mentioned it.