Odd Music Choices For TV Ads.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wingman, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

In a similar vein, there was a serious push by some legislators in New Jersey to make "Born to Run" the state song. Talk about clueless! Now which part of New Jersey rips the bones from your back and which part is a suicide rap? No matter, if you get out of Jersey while you're young you'll be OK . . . you tramps you.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

1) Mahwah
    2) Camden

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm reminded of Ronald Reagan using "Born in the U.S.A." as a campaign song, because his people didn't get that the song was written as an angry pro-vet message about the plight of Vietnam Vets in America.

4. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Not so much an example of an inappropriate lyric, but I always thought it was downright bizarre when a slowed-down cover of The Human League's "(Keep Feeling) Fascination" was used to sell Kingsford charcoal.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"President Reagan made a campaign appearance in Hammonton, New Jersey, and as usual his staff slipped a few local references into his standard stump speech. “America’s future,” Reagan told the small-town audience, “rests in a thousand dreams inside your hearts. It rests in the message of hope in the songs of a man so many young Americans admire—New Jersey’s own, Bruce Springsteen.”"

"“Well, the president was mentioning my name in his speech the other day,” Springsteen told his Friday-night audience in Pittsburgh, “and I kind of got to wondering what his favorite album of mine must’ve been, you know? I don’t think it was the Nebraska album. I don’t think he’s been listening to this one.”"

Vidiot likes this.
  6. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I thought Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" was an odd song for a Carnival Cruise ad campaign. I'm sure Iggy laughed all the way to the bank though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  7. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I still get a laugh out of "Ace Of Spades" by Motorhead being used in a Kia Soul ad. Not so much because of the lyric content, but because it's hard to picture Lemmy driving one of those things.

eddiel likes this.
  8. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I remember that ad, I think it played here a while ago. The same song was also used in the live-action "Cat in the Hat" movie, when the house was being cleaned up at the end - it was a cover version with the "I used to be cruel to my woman.." verse replaced with an instrumental verse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.