Off center vinyl pressing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Holvey, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Hello,

this might be true.
    Do you remember pitch variations due to wow and flutter of cassette tape recorders, back in the 80s?

In thos times, a little w/f was considered "normal", because the technology, of both cassettes and records, just was not better.
    Anyway, a very little off-center is normal, but only a little bit.

It's a good idea to slightly enlarge the center hole with a reamer for records that need it.
    I would do it only for records with audible pitch variations.

Best regards

2. Tim Müller

Sometimes, it's a necessity. I wanted to play an E.P. that was just released on vinyl in my car, so I had to needledrop.
    Also, I like to restore the needledrops, remove slight crackles or surface noise, enhance the sound, and generally remaster the recording. It's fun.

Best regards

Gaslight likes this.
  3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I "get" washing used LPs after purchase and i do. The rest of the vinyl OCD stuff is for nutters. Cheers.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, I imagine someone standing on the floor of a record plant at 3 o'clock in the morning making $9.56/hour. It would be easy not to give a ****.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'd like to make a list of every post complaining about QRP. The list would be quite long.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Isn't it easier to pull out the spindle and reposition? That's how we do professional needle drops. We don't mutilate the records.

7. Tim Müller

If you can... without to much "damage" done to your record player.

Best regards

8. Steve Hoffman

Then get a transcription table that has a removable center spindle. I'd be lost without this. Several crucial vintage pressings are off center but mint otherwise. Can't find other clean copies (Elvis on Sun, etc.)

However, you get a modern pressing that is off center, return it. This is totally, exclusively PRESS OPERATOR ERROR, lazy, in a hurry, uncaring, whatever. This is not OK in 2017.

And note, if one side is off center, the flip side could be fine. And the same goof will happen for all pressings in the run, 1000, 10,000, 500, however many.

9. Tim Müller

I agree with you. I'd do it the same way, had I to needle drop off-center pressings on a regular basis.

However, most of my records are on-center. These are pressings from the 80s. Even the few new editions I bought, they are on-center.
    For the one or the other occasional off-center record, I would not want to cut off the spindle with an iron saw... That would not look good on my record player, and how should I easily center the vast majority of my on-center records... ;)

I am with you, to return off-center pressings of factory-new records. Otherwise, quality would not rise, if there are no returns.

However, would I return a record with a song or a recording that is not released on CD or download? I would not get a defective-free record in return, just my money as refund. Because, maybe the full pressing run has the same off-center problem...

So, probably, it's easier to just use the reamer...

Best regards

10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Right, many of the off-center pressings I come across are like this, with one side off center and the other okay.

11. Steve Hoffman

The operator centers the plate by eye, revolving the plate on the press. Heavy and time consuming but done wrong, off-center pressings.

Grant and McLover like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Moving the spindle ain't an option for the majority of us.

13. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

For me it is often enough to move the record in tiny steps. The spindle and center hole has usually a bit of play +/-0.5 mm, as mentioned above.

Tim Müller likes this.
  14. Tim Müller

Really? On the press?

I thougt, the center holes would be punched in on through stampers. So, every press from that stamper would have the same off-center or on-center center hole?

Best regards

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Tullman likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So then it's o.k. to have that excuse extend to the consumer? There is something called quality control. Looking at what is being sent out.

Tullman likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That's where supervisors and accountability step in. Of course, no one making nine bucks and hour wants to be held accountable...

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. Tim Müller

Oh, yes, sure!

But, why then, bother to buy a product where there was not given a **** at all?
    Hey, why not buy from a company where workers are paid enough, and working atmosphere is motivating, so that workers are just not willing to turn out bad product at all.

I have bought records manufactured and mastered and laquer cut in the former DDR/GDR, the eastern communistic part of Germany.

I was positively surprised by the quality of master cutting and record pressing, although neither the mastering cutters nor the workers on the line, would receive credit on the sleeve.
    I guess, they were doing a good job, because they knew, that all their fellow people would rely on their masterings and fabrications for east block releases of western music. If they'd didn't do it right, you know, all their people would be supplied with 2nd grad records only.
    A number of east German record pressings would be sold, packaged in West German made Covers, in the "Intershops".

Anyways, I don't see the point of exchanging my good money for bad product.

Best regards

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This idea that below a certain wage, it's o.k. if the job is not done right is bullsh**. I have no sympathy for people who can't find a job, if they have an attitude like that.

19. Steve Hoffman

StamperLg.jpg
    NOT AT ALL! Stampers don't have small holes, just large ones that mean nothing. They have to be centered by hand.

Look at this pic, dude.
    The RTI Record and Mastering Plant

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You would end up returning about 50% of records I would imagine. Most are off centre to a very minor degree, but that makes no discernible difference to what you are hearing.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My experience exactly. I can't believe how I can hear the most minor off center issue but I do and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Luckily, it's easy to fix as others have said. I do return anything way out of wack though.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, not really true...see above post. Clearly it depends on the person. I guess people that don't are lucky. As someone else said, it isn't bragging rights...it's a pain. But it's definitely real.

23. luckily i have only had a few off center records. I always return them.

24. Steve Hoffman

Good. There is no excuse for it. It's not random press flux or about hot vs. cold vinyl press technique, it's strictly an operator thing, can be easily eliminated from record production. All it takes is someone caring about the final product.

McLover, Gardo, The FRiNgE and 3 others like this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have multiple off-center records. Some I've returned 2-3 times, only to have every copy be messed up. Clearly the entire run has the same issue, as mentioned above. Most of the time it bothers me but not severely. One exception is a MFSL LP of Sinatra's No One Cares. My copy is off-center. I don't hear any pitch changes, but it bugs the heck out of me that an expensive and beautiful sounding record was manufactured like that. I didn't notice it until it was beyond the return period of the retailer where I bought it.

I also had some off-center records in the expensive Springsteen Complete Album Collection: Vol. 1 box set. I was able to get the record company to send me a replacement set; I haven't had time to check it to see if the same records/sides are off-center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.