“Office Space” at 20: an oral history

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Awesome, I've never worked in an office like that, but the corporate mentality I know all too well.

Love that, movie, still do. I'm not worried about a stapler ever, but I do have this tape dispenser people keep moving around. The printer never works, it keeps sending the document to a different server.

It never ends.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

We have a red Swingline stapler at work. The person who bought had no idea the reason for its existence was this movie and in fact, has never seen it.

It holds up amazingly well. The movie, not the stapler. :D

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm fairly sure the stapler will hold up pretty well, too - unless someone steals it.

fr in sc and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Perhaps this is an urban myth, but...
    Is it true that TGI Fridays stopped having their servers wear suspenders with buttons on them because of this movie?

7. I hope not. The more flair the better! 30 pieces of flair is the minimum, yes, but I always expect and want to see more on my waitress.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Part I loved about this movie besides cube worklife, was the young single guy life living in an apartment with thin walls,
    and the fu#kn A dude neighbor.

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Its a good movie but 9 to 5 is better!

10. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

It's a great film. It's like Clockwatchers with men.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

One of my favorite movies. I watch my Blu-ray at least once a year.

clhboa likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Incredibly quotable film.

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
    Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
    Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
    Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
    Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.

13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I do believe the wife and I will be viewing it this evening. So. Many. Memories.

14. Chris DeVoe

I was working in a corporate hell-hole when this film came out. Last full-time job I had.

15. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

PC load letter? WTF does that mean?!

ps: were the squirrels merry or married?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Married, apparently. I always thought he said "merry" until fairly recently.

17. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I was always disappointed with the second half of this film, since the first half set it up to be a really great corporate satire. I fully expected Peter to get promoted and dismantle the system from within by confronting the absurdity he encountered, but maybe Judge just hit a dead end with that idea and went the goofy caper route instead.

18. Chris DeVoe

"You've been missing a lot of work."

"I wouldn't say I've been missing it."

19. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I love this movie! For a few years in the 90's my then-wife worked in an office building that had a similar vibe to me. I would go up to her office occasionally and it always felt like such a suffocating soul-sucking place. When the movie came out a few years later it reminded me so much of her workplace. The movie really was spot on.

20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Right when Mike Judge was working alphabetizing purchase orders in the early '90's in Austin, TX I must've been working close by or across town matching up thousands of galley type pages to its copy off a giant Kodak copying machine run by a deaf mute 70 year old man who would communicate to me and others with a Chewbaca like sounding growl.

It was so boring and tedious I kept falling asleep and hated working there but it paid the bills. I would later be the guy that had to quietly deliver those client approved galley's to the numerous women in cubicles that pasted them up as camera ready double page spreads for print publishing.

I totally related to Office Space's philosophy behind quitting one's job as made clear by the Ron Livingston quote from the OP's Rolling Stone article...
    I quit the job at the typography foundry in Austin, TX and went cold turkey freelancing my illustration services to the textbook publishing industry in Austin. Failed miserably but was happy doing it. I moved back in with my ex in Houston, Tx which after 3 years went south quite badly. Quit that as well.

I'm now happy where I am living in the moment because of Office Space.

boboquisp, jamesc and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

For me...the second half is the 'money shot'.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Dude?

spanky1, troggy and bpmd1962 like this.
  23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

A colleague and I used to text each other when it was on. We watched it every time it was on. If you've ever worked in a government agency with a crazy boss, you know what I mean. Actually, if you've worked in an office with a crazy boss you can relate to it. I haven't seen it on MTV in years now. I'll watch it now if I ever see it.

The colleague and I used to quote lines of whole series of lines from the movie. I love it.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I absolutely love this movie.

“That’d be great”.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

This scene is So stupid but man it still cracks me up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.