"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 31, 2011.

1. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

2. Frame313

Frame313 Active Member

Goblin has made it to the Olympics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/s...cratic-meets-the-intricate.html?smid=fb-share

"Twelve teams made the final round, but the Russians dominated from the start. Made up to look like sinister adult-size dolls with exaggerated painted-on eyelashes, they won the final on Tuesday with an intricately scary routine — all staccato kicks and aggressive slashing arm movements — set to the theme song from the 1977 horror film “Suspiria,” in which a young dancer realizes that her ballet school is being controlled by witches and that there is no escape. "

3. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

That really is amazing. What an odd choice of music for them to perform to.

However, this clip - which I'd heard about for years but thought it was a fabrication - shows that Goblin made it to the Olympics first back in 2004.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLKbL9CNp8w
    At 1:50 the original "Profondo Rosso" can clearly be heard.

Goblin makes the big time!! It's a shame this won't likely translate into their gaining new fans.

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Burning Shed and Amazon.co.uk are listing a new boxed set of six Goblin albums comprising the soundtracks to Dawn of the Dead, Profundo Rosso, Suspiria, Tenebre plus the standalone albums Roller & Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark.

All discs show bonus tracks and the price is very reasonable, but Burning Shed claims that the set is very limited, so don't hang around if, like me, you haven't got all these before.

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Bumping in the hopes that the Goblin fans are around at this time of day.

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Bumping again ... hey, shoot me, it's news.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

8. Scope J

9. Scope J

On sale $ 54.98 :

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=418814X

10. sunhede

sunhede Forum Resident

Has anyone listened to these, I have have japanese CD pressings of Suspiria and Fantastico already but would be happy to get the box set if the sound quality is good.

11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Shipped last week. Should be here sometime this week. :thumbsup:

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm just listening to Suspiria now from the box set. Having only heard these tracks as they are used in the film itself, I must say I'm pretty impressed both with the sound quality and the extended cues.

I'll be very interested to hear whether more experienced Goblin listeners feel that this set has the best available quality.

13. Scope J

[EuroScore] Goblin in concert, Simonetti in Heaven..

TO: 1 recipient
    Show Details
    Goblin played last night to a sold-out, capacity audience at the Melbourne Town Hall, and Claudio Simonetti was able to perform on the Town Hall’s Grand Organ, an enormous, gothic masterpiece of a musical instrument that stretches 32 feet high and takes up the entire fourth wall of the building. (Maurizio Guarini was also able to pop up later in the show and have a go). The show was funded by the Victorian Government for Melbourne Music Week and had one hell of a sound system to go along with the Organ, which itself was thunderous. I recorded it on my iPhone from the upper balcony but find that some charitable chap has already uploaded a steadier version filmed from the back balcony that shows the event in all its splendour. Here’s a live version of ROLLER –

Simonetti was visibly elated (you can see him gesture happily a few times in the clip) and the band played their repertoire of sound track work plus three songs from the ROLLER album. Here’s another track from later in the night – SUSPIRIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhiMI6z-jLg&feature=channel&list=UL

The Organ keyboard sits on an upper balcony and the keyboardist has to climb a large staircase backstage before entering the balcony from a small door on the left side, giving the audience something to cheer when Simonetti and Guarini finally made it up there. You can see a page discussing the history of the instrument here –

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/ABOUTMELBOURNE/HISTORY/TOWNHALLHISTORY/Pages/TheTownHallOrgan.aspx

and Simonetti thanked the organisers for giving him the chance to play on such an instrument. (The info link on the Organ above rattles off a list of esteemed composers who have performed with it but I suspect it remains dormant more often than not. Goblin should be allowed to play on it every year). Some happy fans posted comments about the concert here

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90717&PID=4665498

If nothing else, do check out the ROLLER and SUSPIRIA clips – the sight of Simonetti on the giant organ is pretty great, even if the videos can only approximate the ferocious sound of the event itself. I'd say the theatre was one third Goblin fans (given the applause when the slow ominous bass line from ZOMBI or synths from PHENOMENA heralded what was to come) with the rest appreciative newcomers. At one point, Simonetti fired up the TENEBRE vocoder and the band performed some of Creedence's Rollin' On the River, before Simonetti segued into a solo call and response to the Goblin fans to help him sing the main TENEBRE 'Pauuuura' chant, before the theme kicked in properly. As with the rest of the concert, the band, and the crowd, enjoyed themselves immensely.

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I still haven't given the Awakening box set a listen, but considering they're coming from Cherry Red, I fully expect to hear some noise reduction. There's not a chance in my opinion that these are going to be the best sounding versions of these albums on CD. Seems like a nice comprehensive collection for someone who doesn't already have this stuff and wants it all without concern for paying $$ for the best sounding versions.

I'll have to spin these soon though, or at least spot check them.

15. Scope J

16. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I would have loved to be at the Melbourne show, that looks brilliant.

I see they played the live score to the film Suspiria at a screening.

17. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

Glad to see this thread bumped - I hadn't seen it before... I love Goblin and have been a fan since the first time I saw Suspiria which would have been in the late 80's when it was released on VHS in Canada.

I have a few CDs from Italy that my wife purchased for me on a trip circa 1996:

1. Goblin Greatest Hits - Cinevox CDOR 8305

Tracks:
    -Profondo Rosso
    -Witch
    -E Suono Rock
    - Yell
    -Suspiria
    -Patrick
    -Zombi
    -Amo Non Amo
    -Disco China
    -Roller

2. Zombi / Tenebre Cinevox CDCIA 5035 - split S/T mentioned a few posts back

3. Suspiria - Cinevox CDCIA 5005

- Has original track listing (as vinyl) plus "Aquaman" and "Dr. Frankenstein" from Roller.

4. Profondo Rosso - The Complete Edition - Cinevox CD-MDF 301

I also have a US Soundtrack to "Creepers" (Phenomena) with 5 Goblin tracks (on cassette)

- Jennifer
    - The Wind
    - Transmute
    - Sleepwalking
    - Jennifer's Friend

18. Scope J

19. Scope J

20. Frame313

Frame313 Active Member

Synthfreek and hi_watt like this.
  21. serj

serj Forum Resident

22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Sorry I can't recall enough to give you better details, but the Awakening box set is just OK in my book. Not at all the best digital versions of these albums, but even the best versions are sometimes flawed. It isn't heavily compressed, if at all, so that's good news. I do think I remember hearing noise reduction used unnecessarily (surprise surprise) but overall the mastering is decent enough if you just want to get the band's key material quickly and relatively cheaply. Has a couple of decent bonus tracks included also.

klockwerk likes this.
  23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

BTW, if there are any Goblin fans in the Philadelphia area, I understand that Goblin has been booked for a small Philly venue on Oct. 5th by Exhumed Films, a trustworthy group from the area. I will have more details to share soon.

24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Actually, it looks like Goblin is doing a small North American tour in October with stops in Philly, Baltimore, Cambridge MA, and Toronto being announced so far along with the Housecore Horror Festival in Austin, TX later that month.

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Scope J

•Goblin at The Loft, Atlanta on 1 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at The Orange Peel, Asheville on 3 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Ottobar, Baltimore on 4 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Underground Arts, Philadelphia on 5 Oct 2013
    •Goblin + Secret Chiefs 3 at Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn on 6 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at The Sinclair, Cambridge, MA on 9 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Le National, Montreal on 10 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at The Opera House, Toronto on 11 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at The Crofoot, Pontiac, MI on 12 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Metro, Chicago on 13 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Gothic Theatre, Englewood on 15 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Neumos, Seattle on 18 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Hawthorne Theatre, Portland on 19 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco CA on 20 Oct 2013
    •Goblin at Egyptian Theater, Los Angeles on 22 Oct 2013
    •HOUSECORE HORROR FILM & METAL FESTIVAL on 24 Oct 2013

jupiterboy and hi_watt like this.