"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. The band's live shows are a hoot. I don't care what others may say, the band in its latest incarnation sounds great in concert, and I've been listening to them since the early eighties. So there! Grrr!

2. Reverb

Reverb Forum Resident

Replying to Edenofflowers’s post #3064 asking for American composers whose work we would have liked to see interpreted by the Residents, I think Louis Armstrong and/or King Oliver could have been fascinating subjects, especially given their reputation for improvising twin coronet solos when performing together in King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band. Jellyroll Morton might have also been very rewarding. Or maybe bluesman-turned-gospel genius Thomas Dorsey (It’s Tight Like That and Precious Lord Take My Hand).

Although I think it’s unfortunate that The Residents’ 1950’s science fiction “theme and footage-concentrate” project was never realized due to the cost of licensing (see their Earth vs the Flying Saucers on YouTube), the science fiction and horror B-movie genre still held great Residential potential, the best candidate being American International Pictures (AIP) staff composer Ronald Stein. Mr Stein was responsible for scoring “The Last Woman on Earth”, “Journey to the Seventh Planet”, “It Conquered the World”, “Psyche Out”, “Spider Baby”, “Attack of the 50 Foot Woman”, “Invasion of the Saucer Men”, “The Undead”, “Not of This Earth”, “Attack of the Crab Monsters”, “The Day the World Ended”, and “Mars Needs Women”, among many others.

Scope J mentioned Bob Dylan. Ian Shirley’s “Never Known Questions” describes how The Residents were in contact with one of Bob Dylan’s sons, and were trying to get Mr Dylan in the studio so they could sample his voice, guitar tone, etc... so that they could re-record Bob Dylan songs partially constructed out of samples of the man himself. Now that would have been something else.

3. An album of scores from these movies would be very refreshing. If the band could pull it off, an album dedicated to Satchmo and King Oliver would be fun.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, Mr. Feldman DID work with Snakefinger during his "History Of The Blues" tour.... so, who knows?

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Barry Schwam aka Schwump has passed :cry:

[​IMG]

bzfgt and vince like this.
  6. Scope J

7. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

vince, Mr. H and Scope J like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

9. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

From the Eyeful page: "It was called "a Bog benefit", with the Bog being The Residents' blog and chat group."

This is the first time I've ever heard of "the Bog". What was this? An official Residents chat, or something fan-made? Are there any traces of it left on the net? I do remember that the official Residents site had a chat page - the last time I visited was around 2015. Was this the same chat?

10. vince

The 'chat' LIVES!!!
    Chat - The Residents

Sadly, Big Brother does not....
    However, you can occasionally talk to Goatie and other RZ-lovers

There was a time when BB was giving us free downloads, and then the Eyeful series came about.

11. vince

Mr. H likes this.
  12. vince

homeslice and Mr. H like this.
  13. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

I'm really liking that. Is there any information as to how many planned recordings are left?

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Sad to hear. Now Aphids is going to be running through my head all day...

Scope J likes this.
  15. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Yeah, this is a very tempting CD....

vince likes this.
  16. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Grrr, this is what I really want the Residents to sound like in concert...

17. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

Was “Killing Time” given a physical release? On the Klanggalerie website it’s listed Out Of Print but don’t even remember it’s release.

18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

It was released as a CD on April 16 but quickly sold out.

19. Scope J

20. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

Nice to see the chat still exists! It doesn't look nearly as active as it used to be though. I feel like years ago, the chat was featured much more prominently on the site, maybe even accessible from the front page. I also remember Goatie from the chat and from the CreateForum Residents board (I've never posted on the latter, but I do lurk there on occasion.)

About Moravian Meeting - I'm just starting to listen to it now but it sounds really fresh and I agree that it would be great for a live show. I definitely have my hopes up for what they will do with Dog Stab though.

vince likes this.
  21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

vince likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

This statement is on the website for Killing Time:

"During the last months of his life, Hardy submitted several recrodings to be released after his death. Killing Time is one of them."

So many several more, maybe only a few. Originally Killing Time was listed as "Ibbur", so either they changed the name or there is another release in the pipeline that is a soundtrack to "The Stone", kind of like Swords was.

Also the MTR wiki states that Hardy contributed to an album by Massacre also called Killing Time. If this is true he is uncredited, but I think its a mistake. The band has Fred Frith and Bill Laswell and recorded in 1981. This is the first I've read of this guest appearance by Hardy outside the Rez at the time.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Mr. H likes this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It seems like Hardy just got better and more prolific with age. His was such a unique and irreplaceable musical voice.

vince, citizensmurf and Scope J like this.
  24. citizensmurf

I would agree. Though his literal musical voice was a bit rough, his compositional skills, sense of melody and love of experimentation is what excelled him into the pantheon of legendary artists.

vince and Mr. H like this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Without a doubt. It seems he had little interest in furthering his in depth knowledge of western music traditions, but that only added to what made him so great.

I recall an interview with Snakefinger about his own music. He mentioned that after being in the “Pub Rock” scene for I think a decade (with the band Chilly Willie and the Red Hot Peppers — great stuff!) that he was attempting to “un-learn” much of his knowledge about how music is supposed to sound. He stated that he felt the traditional popular form had likely gone as far as it could and he was searching for a more unique voice. I don’t recall where I encountered the interview but I want to say it was a video on youtube.

citizensmurf likes this.