"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Doug the cat

Doug the cat Active Member

Klanggalerie says
    "For this remastered re-issue we include three different versions, omne of them previously unreleased. Full tracklist: 1. Anganok (Vocal Version) 2. Anganok (Instrumental) 3. Anganok (RSD Version)."

Beautiful eyes is coming too
    THE RESIDENTS Beautiful Eyes (gg356)

citizensmurf and TheSleeper like this.
  2. Doug the cat

Doug the cat Active Member

I wish for CUBE E Dynasone 3EZ and
    D*ck S*ab 35th Anniversary reissues.
    It would be fine to complete the pREServed Editions.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

What a co-winky-dink!
    I've got THIS baby cued up to listen to, within the next couple of days!!

4. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

Chuck's Ghost Music info: "Before his death, Hardy Fox made a new master for the album and added new artwork."
    New master? Wonder if it's the bandcamp version (which is gone now)? Haven't took the time to check...
    I hope to gosh these will get bandcamp releases because I hate waiting months for CDs to arrive

vince likes this.
  5. vince

.....like I'm doing RIGHT NOW, for "Bog" & that live album Randy did with Uz Jsme Doma!!

nedison likes this.
  6. TheSleeper

the Klang page for Chuck's Ghost Music says
    "Before his death, Hardy Fox made a new master for the album and also created new artwork."

What's this about a new master? I feel like if I knew it got remastered I would've bought it from his Bandcamp... can anyone confirm if both versions sound different?

7. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

It's not artwork I'm going to stare at and sigh wistfully...

8. vince

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Heheh. Now pull the other one. :)

10. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

N. Senada was autistic? This is the first time I'm hearing about this. But if it's official Residents canon, then that's really cool.
    I'm an Aspie myself, and seeing the way the Residents embrace "otherness" inspires me to feel better about my own "otherness".

11. vince

EMBRACE???
    I always thought 'otherness' was their credo from day one!

12. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

I remember that someone earlier in this thread mentioned that some of the Residents' work sounds like Philip Glass.

I had never listened to Philip Glass before, but I recently checked out Glassworks (and really enjoyed it), and started listening to Einstein on the Beach while working today.

When I heard the latter, I immediately thought of "Six Things to a Cycle" (especially the parts with the operatic female vocals). I know that "Six Things" (and most of Fingerprince) was mainly influenced by Harry Partch, but it makes me wonder if the Residents were exposed to Philip Glass at this time as well. Einstein on the Beach came out at around the same time as Fingerprince (though I'm not sure if a record of it would have been easily available in the 1970s, or if one would have to actually go to an opera house to see it).

If copyright/permissions weren't such a hurdle, Philip Glass would have been a fun composer to take on for an American Composers project.

I also wonder if Philip Glass himself is aware of the Residents. He wrote symphonies based on David Bowie's albums and collaborated with Aphex Twin, so it wouldn't be that weird for him to have heard the Residents' work at some point.

wolfram and acetboy like this.
  13. TheSleeper

Anyone notice in Meet The Residents pREServed how some of the bonus tracks not only sound strangely modern but also like they're recording a playback of them? I can hear sounds of wind and coughs that seem unrelated to the recording itself. I wonder if they did it to achieve a lo-fi effect that wouldn't contrast with the rest of the album... I'm gonna guess these are from the Our Finest Flowers sessions, or some other anniversary celebration... this is so ****ing weird.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Nigel Sinatra!

:laugh:

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I had not noticed and normally i’m quite sensitive to such transgressions. But i have to admit that I’ve barely listened to them again since because the mastering was so horrid. Which tracks in particular?

16. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Duck Stab/Buster and Glen

The Commercial Album

Stone cold classics...

vince, bzfgt and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  17. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

Hmm... nearly three weeks in and I’ve yet to see any US stores list this for preorder. o_O Come on, Cherry Red, shipping from the UK is too pricey in 2020!

I’ve checked:
    • residents.com
    • MVDshop.com
    • BullMoose.com
    • Amoeba.com
    • Amazon.com
    Nada. :shrug:

18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Not quite. Fingerprince was released early '77, Einstein early '79 (although already performed in '76 of course).

19. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

They might not have opened the release to distro yet. Maximising direct sales enables them to charge £30 for a 7-CD set.

whatprogress likes this.
  20. Entombet

Entombet Forum Resident

Hi,

I've read here and on Discogs that the first two of "pREServed" reissues are heavily compressed, but can't find info about the later ones. Do they have better DR?

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes but don't let the numbers scare you off buying the pREServed editions for Meet and Third Reich. The music of The Residents is enough to trigger nightmares.

wolfram likes this.
  22. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

The ones that jump out at me are:

Boots Again
    Consuelo's Return
    Spotted Pinto Queen
    Inka Don't Dry
    Poisioned Popcorn

Some feel like they're given away by a 40 year jump in age of the Singing Resident's voice. Some for what sound like samples (rather than tape loops), modern (but, lo-fi manipulated) drum sounds and then there's the "tape noise" which just sounds like a noise layer going through some EQ'ing.

This is a band who, because of anonymity, allows them to embellish or "massage" their history. I don't mind them getting more of their early weird on...

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

As mBen989 said, they are still worth it for all the extra content.

"Duck Stab" and "Fingerprince" are also compressed, but still sound a good deal better than the first two imo (not as harsh). And of course here the extra content is fantastic as well. After the first 4, all pREServed Editions have pretty much the same DR as the old CDs and sound pretty amazing.

In the end, they are all worth having, though the first two were a wasted opportunity soundwise.

vince, surfling and mBen989 like this.
  24. vince

Got my KLANG's today!!!!:goodie:

Scope J likes this.
  25. TheSleeper

"Boots again", "Consuelo's Return", "Spotted Pinto Queen / Inka Don't Dry", and "Poisoned Popcorn"
    For some reason too, they all directly sample the original MTR recordings, so I have to wonder what in living heck they (possibly Hardy) were trying to accomplish... it's like they're trying to bastardize their own music the same way they used to do with James Brown and Chubby Checker. Again, I've read that the Our Finest Flowers sessions were pretty wild... I wonder if that boppin' remix of "Land of 1000 Dances" was part of the creative process too. If there ever is an Our Finest Flowers pREServed (doubt it), I'd LOVE to hear some outtakes.