"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

My "Title In Limbo" 2CD showed up too, after being prompted by some kind soul up thread. It's great! You probably all know this already but I'm sitting here feeling like a doofus for having not picked it up sooner.

wolfram and vince like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Let's hear it for 'NON-limited-edition' items!!

Chew and octophone like this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I know how you feel. This thread made me buy the Klanggalerie 2-disc version as a download from Bandcamp a few weeks ago. I too couldn't believe it took me so long to discover this gem. It soon went up into favourite territory for me.

octophone likes this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Molly Harvey is great and shines especially on "Wormwood" and "Demons Dance Alone". I'm a big fan of her work for the Residents.

There's a nice collection of music featuring her voice on a 2-disc-set called "Loss of the Lizard Lady".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    pbuzby likes this.
  5. Mort Portos

Mort Portos dugga dugga dugga

6. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

maybe it's my current bitter mood talking but this is so tacky

vince likes this.
  7. Mort Portos

I was the same about the Dance Dance video, but I thought it ended up being a fun product.
    I dig the psychedelic eyeball kaleidoscope visuals, and the guitar part from 22s-32s as well as the last minute progression. But, I generally like N.s guitar parts, though I seem to be in the vocal minority.

8. TheSleeper

ok I'm warming up to this - I assume it's just a demo for the live version anyway. I'm sure it'll sound better in the show. Actually I just read the description again, a video concert? That sounds more interesting.

Don't mean to dog on Mr. Sanborn but I never really liked his work that much.

9. vince

I gues..the show WAS to be called "DOG STAB"...so, I could see that...

10. Mort Portos

A TV concert, specifically, so probably some some European broadcast.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Just searched the thread and now this makes sense. I thought for a moment this was about David Sanborn and the Night Music TV show where the Residents performed.

Mort Portos likes this.
  12. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

What a weird group. I was first exposed in the early 70's when a friend dragged me to an insane party at their Sycamore St. place in San Francisco. I took a puff of something that was passed to me and was out of my head until the next day. I bought a copy of Meet The Residents a while later; wish I could remember where I bought it. Did Tower sell that album? It was a long time ago.

That's a fun, bizarre record but it has the absolute worst sound quality of anything in my collection. And as I recall it was cut at a very low level, for no apparent reason.

I was a mastering engineer in the 70's and 80's and cut one or two of their records. I'm sure I did a better job than whoever cut that first album. But what were the titles? Memory fails me again. If you see a backwards D overlapped by a K on the lead out groove of one of their records, that's me.

What a weird group!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    wolfram, Mort Portos, vince and 2 others like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The original release was in mono, then they remixed it in stereo with some parts edited out, but from what I've heard the stereo version sounded like an even more crude recording than the mono. Not sure what happened but they were able to upgrade their recordings as the 70's continued.

14. vince

YOU, my friend, were witness to HISTORY!!!!
    I salute you!
    Perhaps, @Scope J could take a pic or two of a few of his 'originals'.....

15. Mort Portos

Discogs lists the matrix/runout codes for most of the Rz lp pressings. For example, this is 1st pressing Commercial Album:

Matrix / Runout (Side A, hand-etched runout): RZ-8052-L-A [JG intertwined in a circle] L-2731

Some even have credits for who cut the lacquer, like Leo Kulka for MOTM.

You could poke around there.

16. TheSleeper

I'll kid you not, for the LONGEST TIME I thought these two Sanborns were the same person. I thought "huh, it's cool that the Residents had this friend who could contribute with their work and get them on TV." Only recently I was reminded one is David and the other is John.

17. I received the Bunny Boy Live in Frankfurt and the Ozark vinyl lps by Secret Records. I also acquired no. 348 of 350 of the Hardy Fox lp. On record here to say that all three of these albums sound terrific! No defects at all! The Ozark is really enjoyable. It's all a professional musical happening with none of that self-conscious 'I Am A Resident' crap mixed in. I highly recommend these!

Has anyone picked up the Gingerbread Man vinyl release yet on Cherry Red Records? I went out of my way not to buy this until I heard some positive feedback on the quality of the wax. I don't really like Gingerbread Man that much, but I still want a vinyl copy that will play through without aural insults.

18. TheSleeper

It's not out yet! Are stores stocking it in advance or something?
    I always found it weird to buy vinyl of music that was recorded digitally

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  19. I must be mistaken then. I had thought Gingerbread Man had been released. I guess it's pre-orders only right now.

20. vince

21. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Very nice. I been digging his videos. I just sent him a link to this thread.

DannyRiggs80, vince and Scope J like this.
  22. DannyRiggs80

DannyRiggs80 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    thanks for all the kind words about my videos on ResTube! I’m really new to these forums, so hit me up on FB or IG if you’d like to get in touch.
    Stay healthy & stay weird!❤️

23. DannyRiggs80

It‘s me!

Scope J and mcchocchoc like this.
  24. vince

I say, RIGHT ON!!
    May you and your wife keep on keeping' on!
    And, may I say, your accent screams Hochberg!:winkgrin:
    Welcome to this forum!

mcchocchoc and bzfgt like this.
  25. DannyRiggs80

Thank you very much, Vince!
    The best to you and yours as well!
    I really do live in Höchberg. But I was born & raised in Indiana.
    Thanks for the welcome!

Scope J and vince like this.