"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

2. ToolShedd

ToolShedd Well-Known Member

Apparently it did! Wish I could have been there….

acetboy likes this.
  3. Seems some folks here need to cultivate more slack.

vince likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Yes, you've got this 'Theory Of Obscurity' thing down, don't you?

DannyRiggs80 and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

"First known performance" could be right for The Booker Tease, as it wasn't performed on the Night Flight show.

The 16 minutes long encore "Swastikas on Parade" is also on YouTube.

Scope J, TheSleeper, acetboy and 2 others like this.
  6. Mort Portos

Mort Portos dugga dugga dugga

Is it known if they played The Executioner all the way through, or was it just a tease like the NF show?

7. vince

Don...Is that you?

8. Mort Portos

Donny Mentalhealthcrisis Jr, maybe.

9. vince

No, no, no...
    Don Hardy, director of "Theory Of Obscurity", himself!

Mort Portos likes this.
  10. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  11. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

Pros:
    • Homer sounds great!
    • That set list!
    Cons:
    • I'm sure those electronic drums are much easier to mix and amplify than mic'ing an acoustic kit, but they still just make everything sound so MIDI-fied. In concert, the Residents haven't sounded like a band since Wormwood. The karaoke vibe is a bummer.
    • If I can't say anything nice about Nolan Cook's hacky digital shredder guitar, I probably shouldn't say anything at all...

12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I'm afraid I have to agree, especially regarding your last point. Was really happy to see them tackle "Swastikas On Parade" but then when watching kept thinking that with this piece especially Nolan could go and really have fun and try all sorts of crazy things.... but he just keeps doing his one-dimensional shredding thing. A missed opportunity, to say the least.

Collapsed Lung likes this.
  13. vince

Doesn't he know;
    the POINT of The Residents is to CHANGE!

14. Mort Portos

It's kinda fun to see them fall apart in the first verse of Laughing Song. I remember the liner notes for Way We Were saying it takes them 5 shows to work out the kinks of a new tour.
    I still greatly enjoy the new arrangement of Laughing Song/BID, and Krafty Cheese.
    I get what you all are saying in regards to Nolan's style/tone, but I think the Singing Resident also tends towards abrasive shouting more often than not in the live setting. I do miss the humour of Hardy arrangements, but anxious-psych-metal Rz is an interesting blend when it's fermented right.

surfling and bzfgt like this.
  15. Mort Portos

It's a complete Electrocutioner! I like this a lot. I'm glad Cha Cha can do vocals.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    DannyRiggs80 likes this.
  16. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

It was a great show.

17. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Saw the show in sf my first time at one of their shows. Had a grand time honestly enjoyed the dog songs more than the duck stab stuff. Wish they had played the inspired by songs too though.

been collecting the preserved series as they come out still feel fairly amateur but getting there. Enjoyed browsing through this thread and keeping up to date going forward!

18. vince

Mr. Riggsy will be giving away his gift LIVE, in two hours!
    I'll be there to watch....will you?

DannyRiggs80 likes this.
  19. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

The release date of the new Residents book will be announced next month, according to the Melodic Virtue newsletter.

Scope J and Mort Portos like this.
  20. Collapsed Lung

Very good point. The "Singing Resident" (I think we can call him Homer Flynn at this point) does tend to be rather shrill and anti-musical. Live it doesn't bother me too much because I get wrapped up in the moment, but it can wear on me when its on record. As the Residents' albums got less musically inventive and increasingly MIDI-fied/digital/in-the-box, I felt this became more and more of an issue...so I stopped buying them after Bunny Boy or so...

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Tell that to Homer's dance moves.

22. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

I don't really blame their lack of adventure on the digital sound, I honestly blame it on Hardy Fox's departure... the Randy Chuck & Bob stuff might not have been groundbreaking but it was still fun (well Shadowland was wack but Hardy admitted it was just a cashgrab anyway)

I have the In Between Dreams DVD and heck it's a nice show to watch so I know what you mean about being "in the moment", I bet the Dog Stab show is just as entertaining but that Duck Stab Alive special did kinda grate on me. A particular thing I hate that Homer does is that really high-pitched voice effect, it hurts my ears and just doesn't add to the music at all. I prefer when he does his crappy harmonica playing lmao

23. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Wow, what happened? The tone of the last few replies has really changed...
    Much as I wish a few things were different with the live presentation I'm still happy they are even going out live anymore, especially so under the current circumstances. And I don't hear anything in the shows I would call crappy.
    Don't forget some of them are in their 70s. Of course vocals won't improve much anymore... and dance moves? Really?
    Let's enjoy the remarkable fact they are actually celebrating their 50th anniversary. Who'd have thought. Certainly not me when I heard Eskimo the first time in 1979, trying to figure out what the hell that was :laugh:

24. Mort Portos

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. Their instagram has some nice teaser pics, and the book will include a 7".
    Login • Instagram
    [​IMG]

You're not talking about that crying baby pitch shifting he does on Sinister Exaggerator, are you? That cracks me up every time. It's the high point in that arrangement for me lol.

One N. Cook moment from the IBD tour that I always enjoy is when he quotes the original Monkey Man melody during his solo near the end.

[​IMG]

25. Collapsed Lung

This made me laugh out loud -- thank you!

...I think at this point the whole anonymity gambit has long since run its course. It's not hard to figure out who the Residents are, and maintaining their anonymity doesn't add anything substantial to their Gesamtkunstwerk like it once did. It used to be edgy and mysterious, now it's just sort of a cute wink at best.

This idea of a basically giving a participation trophy for formerly trailblazing artists who are now coasting on their past glories also made me laugh out loud!

Dudley Morris and bzfgt like this.