Official Snakefinger Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Feb 3, 2010.

1. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I think any legal issues between The Residents and Snakefinger's daughter were resolved. There is no longer any mention of the legal issues on their website, although there is still some info on Snakefinger.

There is no way very much money was involved in any of this. It's not like "Easter Woman" is getting used in any actual commercials. Much of the '71 - '87 output of the Residents that was the subject of this claim is currently available in some form or another, although obviously there is stuff that is Not Available as well.

Sadly, most, if not all, of Snakefinger's solo work is out-of-print, but I don't think that has anything to do with this threatened legal action.

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

I would so love to see 180gm
    vinyl repressings showing up in the indie stores

3. Scope J

HAPPY SNAKEFINGER DAY !

4. Scope J

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

a few mp3s showed up on amazon last year. man in the dark sedan being one of them. but nothing since. it really is a shame his stuff is oop and nearly impossible to get some of it. i emailed the cryptic corp about it probably two gears ago and they told me there were issues with his family. the afforementioned collaborations have been available all Along so i dont think there is any evidence to suggest his daughter has settled her issues with the residents.

it would have been awesome to see snakefinger playing with them on their 40th this year!

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So of the three guys touring (singer, keyboardist, guitarist), would I be correct in guessing that the singer and keyboardist are the original two guys? They certainly did not seem to have a hot guitarist on their early recordings.

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes. Obviously its up to them as to who they call a "Resident".

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Ummmm, I hope you mean in hologram form, because he died 26 years ago.

9. spideyjack

spideyjack Well-Known Member

I have always regretted not going to see him when he played in Indianapolis, must have been just a year or so before he passed. Great thread!

10. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

Here's some intriguing Snakefinger footage that recently surfaced on youtube:

The Man In The Dark Sedan

Its a performance filmed in the early 80s for New Wave Theater (although not fully aired until 1984, after Peter Ivers' death) that is notable for being the only known footage/recording of the band with Micki Steele on bass.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You know, you live your life thinking you know everything there is to know about Snakefinger, and then, you see THIS!
    I never knew she played with him! Wow!

GregorSamsa likes this.
  12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

13. GregorSamsa

Nice! Great to see that album finally getting another release. I think that even with 9 bonus tracks, it still doesn't cover all of the tracks that were played at those shows.

14. Scope J

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

FYI..

there seem to be several related MP3 albums listed on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Snakefingers-...?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-4&keywords=Snakefinger

http://www.amazon.com/Snakefingers-...?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-5&keywords=Snakefinger

http://www.amazon.com/Snakefingers-...?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-2&keywords=Snakefinger

Can anybody clarify what these are for me? I mean, I bought the two EP's, and have the CD of the album on preorder. Is this material previously released anywhere? What are the sources?

I have emailed Bodo Jacoby, who runs Promising Music and has been responsive to my emails in the past, I just wonder if anybody here might know.

16. GregorSamsa

My guess is that they're unreleased performances from other shows on the tour--at least some of those covers have appeared on amateur recordings, but not released officially. It sounds like they have so much extra material they could easily have done a two-disc set.

Scope J and Mr. H like this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

BTW, I don't think I saw mention in this thread about the Amazing Zig Zag Concert.

It features a great set by Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers, as well as other acts, including a great acoustic set of Michael Nesmith with Red Rhodes, and is available here: http://www.rgfrecords.demon.co.uk/releases/zigzag.htm

Scope J and phil1db like this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I already received a reply to my inquiries and Gregor Samsa is correct. The original LP album release was made from recordings of 3 shows, this new CD was made from recordings of 2 shows, which supposedly capture the stronger performances. What was left over from those two shows (material from the Bremen show) is what is on those EPs.

I was also provided with a link to this:

As well as the knowledge that the 36 page included booklet includes new text by Eugene Chadbourne and "fresh anecdotes" from band members Joshua Raoul Brody and Steve Mackay as well as road manager Stuart James. There is also included a facsimile of Snakefinger explaining the idea behind the project!

Very exciting news.

Scope J likes this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The original LP album release was made from recordings of 3 shows, this new CD was made from recordings of 2 shows,[/quote]

So, you're saying that we still need to keep our old LPs even after buying the CD? The new disc is just an addendum to the vinyl and not a replacement?

20. Scope J

Snakefinger album the fourth

Night of Desirable Objects 1987

Sophia's Playful Pipes
    There's No Justice In Life
    Bless Me For I Have Sinned
    Jesus Gave Me Water
    Move
    The Golden King
    Bad Day In Bombay (Parts I & II)
    8ΒΌ
    I Gave Myself To You
    Sawney Bean / Sawney's Death Dance

snakefinger-nodo-cov.jpg

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Mr. H like this.
  21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

So, you're saying that we still need to keep our old LPs even after buying the CD? The new disc is just an addendum to the vinyl and not a replacement?[/quote]
    correct

22. Scope J

23. Scope J

Happy Snakefinger Day !

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

and, also to you and yours!

Scope J likes this.
  25. Scope J