Oh no! indy mike's pick ONE tune per hour thread topic: Songs done under an alias....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Been awhile since a pick ONE tune per hour thread has shown up here, campers. I was cranking a RAB disc earlier, and the jaw dropping, mind numbing insanity of Rock It by Thumper Jones on the mighty Starday label made me reach for the replay button more than once. This beauty is on an Ace Starday/Dixie RAB comp. Thumper Jones??? Whodahellizdat?!?! you may be axing...... :confused: Well, back in the 50's when someone cutting country music got hornswaggled into cutting some of the devil's own music, they'd howl a pounding ditty and have it put out under an alias. I'll let someone else identify our mystery crooner mentioned above - might be an official SH Forums decoder ring innit as a prize (still on backorder, along with the recliners for 1000 posts)....

Let's review the simple rules: Pick ONE tune which has a song with performers yowling under an alias, tell us why we've all gotta run out and hear it, mebbe recommend a great sounding source, and then hit submit. The ONE tune per hour bizness is to keep folks from listing 48 of their faves all at once - if I post this at 3:56, I have to wait until the next hour shows up (4:00 and I can post again) - then, I wait again 'til 5:00. Let the fun begin!!!! :D

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And about time.....

"Fast Frieght"--Arvee Allens

a/k/a Ritchie Valens. I would insult anyone here by suggesting the 'best source':p

ED:cool:

3. indy mike

Whoooo-hoooo! A new hour, time to pester (er, post).... Corky Jones was another country music performer who was scratching to cut a hit. He played on other folks' sessions, hit the bar circuit and kept waiting for his chance. Ol' Corky got lassoed into cutting a reckless rockablilly sockeroo called Hot Dog on the Pep label. Unfortunately, buyers didn't flock to the record store to buy Corky's ode to chompin' those tasty hot dogs where his baby worked the counter. Course, a few years later and Corky started having a few hits under his other nom de plume, Buck Owens..... Grab it an a Starday/Dixie RAB blaster from our friends at Ace....

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Crazy Like a Fox by Link Cromwell aka Lenny Kaye .Not "yowler" but a a nice piece o'pop.

5. indy mike

Re: And about time.....

Ummm, yer sayin' we could toss that digital drink coaster from the early daze of ol Ralphie Wryknow, sourced mainly from stacks o' wax???? Course, the detective man at Wryknow did some serious legwork, dug into his pockets and liberated the Del-Fi tapes from Nashville storage that our pal and host SH got to use for dat swanky dual layer SACD you didn't mention by name.... ;)

6. indy mike

Everyone must bow to Lenny the K, mastermind of the legendary Nuggets compilation on Elektra, reissued by Sire, and carried on by the folks at Wryknow Wreckords.....

7. stereoptic

he surely set the blueprint for all future comps.:thumbsup: (step one: get a theme....)

8. indy mike

Get a REALLY good theme... :D

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" -- Wonder Who?

Yes, the Bob Dylan song. This also belongs in the "Worst Cover" thread.

Jim W.

10. Ed Bishop

"Early In The Morning"--Rinky-Dinks

Or, Bobby Darin tries to go on the sly, just for fun. Nice try, Bob....:D

11. indy mike

Hmmmm - nobody gotta guess about ol' Thumper Jones true identity??? I guess everybody's a no-show on this one....

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

It's gotta be George Jones.

13. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

All-American Boy - Bill Parsons

Actually Bobby Bare and mistakenly identified as Parsons...

Bob:)

14. stereoptic

I thought that you would post it in 60 minutes....

This hour's posting:

L'Angelo Misterioso (aka George Harrison) on Cream 's Badge

15. Ed Bishop

Hmmm....Indy, we need a ruling on something. I assumed you meant 'songs under an alias' meaning as artists. While I appreciate Donald picking George on "Badge," this could start confusing things, since a lot of guys have snuck onto others' albums under assumed names(or even remained unlisted).

Just curious....:p

16. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Gort ruling: Guest players on tracks do not count.

Bob:D

17. Ed Bishop

Good enough for me!:laugh: :D ;)

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

"The People's Limousine" The Coward Brothers.

It's Elvis Costello and (I think) T-Bone Burnett under the aliases Henry and Howard Coward. I'm not sure exactly what it's about (Italian communists?) although I do like the words and it's got a good beat (although I don't know that it would be easy to dance to).

It's found on the compilation "Out of Our Idiot" - a Demon CD which is a bunch of Costello tracks, most (if not all-I'm not sure about the above track) of which have found their way onto the various Ryko and Rhino reissues.

19. stereoptic

Oh, so now it's a conspirancy?? ;)

jbohdan - great entry - I forgot about that one! That reminds me of Pills and Soap by The Imposter (Spelling?) aka Elvis Costello.

I'd submit Luke the Drifter aka Hank WIlliams , but I don't think that I know any songs that Hank sung as Luke.

20. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Seaside Woman/ B-Side To Seaside- Suzy & the Red Stripes
    AKA Linda McCartney and Wings

21. Ed Bishop

"Buddy"--Jackie Dee

That's Jackie DeShannon to you, pardner....;)

22. indy mike

Yippee!!!! George apparently turns a few shades of crimson if you bring up his rockers!!! :D I guess you're still waiting for your lounge chair, too???

23. indy mike

That's what I call service!!!! :thumbsup: I hadda grill some pork chops (marinaded in worchestershire sauce, a little seasoned salt, garlic and freshly cracked pepper), get my son at daycare, grab some groceries on the way home, and get supper on before the missus got home - phewwwww!

The Jackie DeShannon track is a pounder from Imperial - good add there, podner! Hmmmmmm, I need to ponder a name or two - back inna bit....

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yaaaay! I remember reading about "Thumper" in the liner notes of a George Jones comp. Lounge chair? I'll pass for now. There'll be no lounging around when you've got Rock It blasting away.

Jim W.

25. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Bernard Webb did a fine job on "Woman".

Ironic that a songwriting partner of his had a hit with a different "Woman" 15 years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.