Oh no! indy mike's pick ONE tune per hour thread topic: Songs done under an alias....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Pamela Jean - The Survivors; sank like a rock, which is odd because it's none other than The Beach boys in alla their 1964 harmonic glory....

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I believe there's a few extra BB's in them there Survivors...A great session for that track is available on the SOT Series! Sounds GREAT!

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"Sittin' In The Balcony"--Johnny Dee

Or, John D. Loudermilk moonlighting while building his budding songwriting career. Turned out okay, did he....:)

ED:cool:

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Prince says that Camille was actually the vocal on "If I Was Your Girlfriend". :)

Well, Ron Dante did all of the Archies' music with a bit of help from his friends...

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Any relation to Jack Webb?

mud-:D

6. Ed Bishop

Nice try, Grantie, but Dante wasn't working under an 'alias'; he kinda didn't have a choice, like Tony Burrows over in the UK....

"Love Is Strange"--Caesar & Cleo

You know them as Sonny & Cher....

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can't think of one.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Can't Think Of One...By the Ed Fleinblatt Singers...:laugh:

9. indy mike

Jimmie Logsdon cut some country tunes for Decca that didn't sell too well; when he switched labels and cut the unbelievably titled I Got a Rocket In My Pocket on Roulette, he also switched back to his real name of Jimmy Lloyd (sorta King Midas in Reverse here)....

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jimmie Logsdon?

Indy, return with us now to planet earth! You're making this stuff up, right?

11. indy mike

Nope - he was from Panther, Kentucky; ended up living near Louisville. Go dig out yer copy of THe Right Stuff - my man Jimmy is on the soundtrack in the movie... :D Dig out yer Wryknow Wreckords Rock This Town - Rockabilly Hits Vol. 1 or Wail Man Wail on Sundazed and hear the switch flipped "ON"................... :cool:

12. indy mike

The Pest from the Midwest back with another legitimate entry: I'm Feeling Action Packed - Ronnie Dee aka Ronnie Dawson squealed out the classic line "Gimme the downbeat maestro" - brother, the gravel flies when our man ronnie hits the gas and mashes the gears on his rocket ship ('cause a Cadillac just ain't enough for the fleet footed, flatopped Texas troubador)....

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

According to the liner notes of the Ace CD compilation Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions (which includes both "Pamela Jean" and its even-more-obscure flipside "After The Game"), this is a myth. Brian's fellow Survivors were Richard Alarian, Bob Norberg, and Dave Nowlen.

The Toot Uncommons, who backed up Steve Martin on his '70s novelty hit "King Tut", were actually the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

14. indy mike

Yikes - I've posted a myth concerning Brian Wilson (the Jimmy Lloyd/Logsdon is still legit, however)....

15. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

One thing I've been wondering, Is this the same Bob Norberg has been "Remastering", with heavy NR, many Capitol reissues???

Back to the subject....
    Walking in the Park With Eloise/ Bridge Over the River Suite- The Country Hams
    AKA Wings (and friends) :)

16. indy mike

Simon Crum was the alter ego of Mr. Ferlin Husky when it came time to cut some boppers for Capitol; Stand Up, Sit Down, Shut Your Mouth sure has a mothwatering title, doesn't it????

17. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Screamin' And Hollerin' The Blues - The Masked Marvel (a/k/a Charley Patton)

18. Ed Bishop

It's Ok, Indy; the Tonmeister has accused me of making up stuff before, too(and yes, in one of your past threads). Must be that sheltered La-La-Life....;) Or, we truly are villains and are making things up....:angel:

Anyone remember this?:"Alfie"--Eivets Rednow

Stevie Wonder spelled backwards, no idea why anyone bothered, except maybe just a notion....

19. indy mike

Goooood morning! Back to Corky Jones/Buck Owens. Flip over Hot Dog and guess what - another dee-licious rockabilly fave called Rhythm and Booze is waiting to greet you! Nice 'n wobbly, makes me wanna grab a cold Leinenkugel's and yowl along!

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Here's one so obvious, it took me a day to think of it:

Buster Poindexter (aka David Johanson aka David Jo-Hanson)
    and his song, even though it is so prevalent EVERYWHERE, I am not going to submit Hot, Hot, Hot . Instead let's go with Smack Dab In The Middle .

21. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"You're My Drug" - Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC)

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

22. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

"Ballad of the Yellow Beret" by D. Dodger, aka Bob Seger.

Here's more info from segerfile.com.:

Ballad of the Yellow Beret. On the Are You Kidding Me? label. 1966. The artist is listed as "D. Dodger." (According to some sources, Yellow Beret was backed with Florida Time by "The Beach Bums.")

This parody of Sgt. Barry Sadler's hit got some airplay until Sadler wrote a cease-and-desist letter. The lyrics rip into Vietnam protesters: "This is a protest against protesters," says a narrator before Seger begins singing, opening with the lines:

"Fearless cowards of the USA
    Bravely here at home they stay
    They watch their friends get shipped away
    The draft dodgers of the Yellow Beret."
    Near the end, the song becomes a hammy spoof, with a cartoon-style voiceovers (not Seger's) offering ludicrous excuses to a draft board.

Still, Seger is in remarkable voice on this recording. Of all his early singles, this one most closely captures the quality of voice found on his string of top ten "Seger Mediums" in the late '70s and early '80s. Except for the inevitable pops and hiss of vinyl, you can play this song beside any of his later material and marvel at the similar tonal qualities of his voice.

Two years after Yellow Beret was released, the hawkishness would give way to the scorching war protest, "2+2+=?" In that sense, Seger made the same journey many of us did...from scoffing at antiwar protesters to joining them. (Later, he recounts that journey on Mongrel's "Leaning On My Dream," in which the song's narrator goes from yelling at the protesters to yelling with the protesters.)

23. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

"Loveable," 1956 single under the name Dale Cook. Undeniably gospel great Sam Cooke, making his first secular recording, in a futile attempt to avoid alienating his gospel following.

doug

24. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

"Don't Think Twice" by the "Wonder Who" top 20 in '65. No one had any trouble identifying the Four Seasons.

25. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ringo was not the drummer on that track John....FYI!:laugh:

Bob;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.