Oh No! Is HMV.com about to bite the dust?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Looks like HMV is going the way of CDNow??? Yuck!!

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Seems all the variety that used to exist buying online is becoming a thing of the past

mud-

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Amazon is eating up the competition!
    Never the same again...There was a great out of print book company that Amazon bought up...totally destroyed it!
    Just like Wal-Mart driving out all the Mom & Pop stores througout the US! Progress...

4. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I wouldn't panic (yet). It's not quite the same as CDNow --> Amazon.com.

Amazon.ca currently doesn't do music; it's strictly books and videos. I'm thinking that the products on offer will still be HMV's, and they'll just be using Amazon's much better recognized name for online distribution.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Although there's some consolidation going on, I'm still amazed at all the retail sites on the web. I've found places I didn't even know exist, and some I'm still looking for. Thanks to fellow members, I've been clued in to those obscure but important sites. HMV being folded into Amazon doesn't seem to me to be that big a deal. For those who want Steve's MCA Canada discs in the future, there are, thankfully, other sites that carry them. Rumors of Tower's demise have been floating for months, but still, nothing yet. A lot of competition, not enough customers, I guess.

ED:cool:

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

ED maybe so but I wept when Sam The Record Man went down the tubes.

It was a sad day.

mud-

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I remember them! That was a shame...thing is, over the years, some of my closest dealer friends have gone under, finally giving it up. Some made enough to retire, others went after *real* work, tired of the small profits and long hours. That really hurts, because there's nothing like going through endless rows of 45's and Lp's you can inspect for yourself. Sam was a good one; it's getting so hard for some of the bigger sites to hang on; it does make one wonder what will happen to the smaller guys out there on the net.:(

ED:cool:

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

That's my concern. There are still a few neat collector's sites but I still like a place where I can get new releases for a reasonable price.

mud-

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amazon.ca does do music.

10. BradOlson

Bibliofind was the OOP bookstore that Amazon bought.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Companies are finding that Amazon's "online" systems and distribution is in place, and already works, which saves them a lot of development and deployment time. IOW, why reinvent the wheel? Other retailers find it easier to hook up with an Amazon rather than invest a million into their own system.

The CDNow deal was puzzling, but I got over it. I'm now an Amazon affiliate, and while I'm not going to retire anytime soon, it does help pay for all of my "freebie" sites that I work on.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Hopefully HMV will maintain their inventory and excellent prices. I would think that even under amazon.ca, Steve's Canadian MCA discs should still be available, as they are in print in Canada.

13. BradOlson

Yes, Steve's Canadian discs are available at Amazon.ca.

14. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Bite the dust? I don't know, but they closed a big store in Frankfurt recently, where I had shopped from time to time.

15. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Must've been fairly recent then... they didn't the last time I was on their site, which was back in January.

16. HMV.com er, um, Amazon.ca has Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy.

They also have Steve's Who's Next , complete with Bradley's review. Nice work.

17. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I have loved buying from hmv.com, as their shipping was reasonable, and CD prices after conversion from Canadian to U.S. dollars was very often a great deal. Plus, it seems that Canada would get CDs released in the U.K. but not in the U.S. so it was a good deal for "imports". Hopefully, the prices and selection will stay about that same at amazon.ca.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.