Oh Yoko!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

2. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

For those who don't feel like clicking... :)

Yoko Edits Herself Into John Lennon's History

Yoko Ono is not making fans of John Lennon very happy right now. She's been busy editing Lennon's videos and changing songwriting credits. Call it her revenge on old enemies like Paul McCartney and May Pang.

Ono's weirdest piece of video trickery comes on the recently released DVD "Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon." On one film, for the classic song "#9 Dream," Ono has edited herself into the original video. There you will find her mouthing the backup vocals that were sung on the original hit recording by Lennon's girlfriend at that time, May Pang.

Pang, of course, was not thrilled to hear this had happened. "She is trying to erase everyone who had anything to do with John with her alone," says Pang, who is a popular figure in the New York music scene. "I am definitely upset at her misleading everyone into thinking she is on '#9 Dream.' She had nothing to do with this particular album and it was John's only No.1 album and No. 1 single during his lifetime. Boy, do I understand how Paul feels."

And how does Paul feel? Well, no one's been able to ask him yet, but apparently Ono has dropped his name from the songwriting credit on "Give Peace a Chance." The song was written by Lennon only, but at the time the songwriting duo was still putting their two names on everything.

Last year, in his own bid for more immortality, McCartney wanted Ono to let him drop Lennon's name from the Beatle songs he didn't write. When that didn't work, McCartney reversed the traditional order so they read "McCartney-Lennon." Now it seems Ono — who took umbrage at McCartney — has gotten her revenge.

As for the DVD, another source points out that Ono also edited herself in the video for "Stand By Me." "It should now be called 'Sit By Me,'" quips the insider.

None of this comes as any surprise to those who saw the TNT tribute to Lennon in the fall of 2001. Ono edited all the footage of Lennon from his Beatle days so that none of the other Fab Four appeared. And no reference to the Beatles was ever made, as if Lennon had simply arrived on the scene singing "Imagine." Imagine that

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

"Isn't It a Pity." "All through the day, I me mine, I me mine, I me mine."

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

As far as editing herself into "#9 Dream," that shouldn't surprise anyone. That's just how she is.

But the "Give Peace A Chance" thing is old news. McCartney's name was dropped from the song by the time the Lennon Legend CD was released in 1997. The song also appeared sans "McCartney" on The John Lennon Anthology, so obviously this is not in response to the Back In The U.S. credit-switching fiasco, as has been reported. I think it instead stems from the squabble Paul and Yoko got into over credits on "Yesterday" upon release of The Beatles Anthology 2.

5. audio

audio New Member

Yoko is a psycho. As Julian Lennon said, "She has raped and pillaged the Lennon name". Next she'll be redoing all his lead vocals and claiming his solo albums were her own.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

She's not a psycho. She's quite nice, actually. And she was good to John.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

If "Give Peace A Chance," originally credited to Lennon-McCartney, has been re-credited to just John Lennon, wouldn't that require Paul McCartney's approval?

Wasn't Paul's "Another Day" originally credited to Lennon-McCartney as well?

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John LOVED Yoko ...Many had a problem with that. I believe that hurt him more than anything else...Put yourself in his shoes back then...I'll bet John doesn't mind abit! If you ever LOVED anyone deeply...You'll understand. I LOVE -my- Wife more everyday...

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

She has been good about getting Lennon product out there for us fans, however I just wish she would leave well enough alone and leave the mastering to people who'll do it justice.

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Nope. Mr. & Mrs. McCartney.

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I think "Give Peace A Chance" was published under Lennon or Lenono Music, and not Northern Songs (I'm away from home, so I can't double check; someone correct me if I'm wrong). Because of this, I think Yoko can do what she damn well pleases with the tune. :)

12. audio

audio New Member

Yes, I know. I shouldn't have said that. She was nice as hell to me when I met her also. One question, though. Why is she doing all this if she is currently sane? She's really screwing John's fans......big time.

13. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Nicely put Michael!

.....and I agree completely, except...er....I don't love your wife more every day, although I'm sure she's very nice! :D

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nice to know you feel the same way:) :thumbsup:

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The "original video" for "#9 Dream" was made in 1992 for The John Lennon Video Collection, and it also included footage of Yoko. The insinuation that Yoko took an existing video made by John and then inserted footage of herself is false.

16. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I can't help but feel this was intentional historical revisionism on Yoko's part, the segment of #9 Dream where May whispers 'John' could have been done with something like a slo-mo close up or somesuch.
    I suspect Yoko and May aren't on the best of terms.
    Paul has a right to be wary...

17. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Removed Post

18. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

FWIW, Yoko's been the best "caretaker" of Beatles lore so far...disagree all you want with the remixes, they *are* done very well (no ATMP-reissue nightmares here!), and the posthumously-released material has been both tasteful and plentiful. Consequently, my opinion of her business acumen (at the very least) has been skyrocketing as of late.

Olivia may pose a formidable challenge...we'll have to see. Paul is failing miserably thus far (STILL no Cold Cuts), and Ringo...I don't think he counts, presently..;)

19. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Barbra Streisand is on the right of the political spectrum!?

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Sounds like May is writing her own version of history - #9 Dream was not #1. It was #9. "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" was his only #1 during his lifetime. Same album, different song. Sorry May.

22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

And it wasn't his only #1 album during his lifetime either, since Imagine also reached #1.

23. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

All of John & Paul's solo output up until about 1972 is/was published by Northern Songs/Maclen Music. The first solo albums with publishing credits to Lennon Music & McCartney Music (now MPL Communications) were Mind Games and Red Rose Speedway respectivly. Also both John & Paul attempted to get half of the publishing back by giving both Yoko and Linda co-writing credits on some songs. I know Paul lost his battle to half of the rights with ATV but I'm not sure about John.

24. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Well, this thread is already getting testy...

What in the world is "faux" news, and what the world are you talking about?

Oh, and while I'm at it, Yoko lovers:

Please put John Lennon's original mixes back in print and let us choose the Yoko mix or the John mix...

:D

25. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification, Dugan.

I guess we revert back to Ron Stone's original query:

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.