OJC vinyl reissue question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyltimm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

2. jasonsouza77

ive just visited the links above. hope that amzn is still selling the same ones with SH mastering :)

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very simple, when you receive the records crack them open and inspect the matrices. If they aren't what you want, send them back. Amazon is generous about returns. Many other retailers are not so generous.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  4. jasonsouza77

yes but sadly im not in the US. when I order from amzn, I will normally use triangular shipping so its costly to return stuff

patient_ot likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Guess you'll have to take a gamble then if you want these records. Bottom line, there is no way to be absolutely certain with CMG any more. You might get lucky or you might not.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  6. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I picked up a newer OJC copy of Thelonious In SF and I remember thinking it looked like different stampers/matrix/etc from my 80s OJC LPs. Didn’t blow me away sonically, either.

7. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Your best bet for Tenor Madness is to either order the copy from Acoustic Sounds that I linked to on the previous page, or the Newbury Comics edition which is available on Discogs.

As for Saxophone Colossus, there is also a Kevin Grey mastered edition from a couple of years ago that sounds and looks amazing, and isn’t nearly as scarce as the DCC pressing.

https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Rollins-Saxophone-Colossus/release/10655344

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  8. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

My information comes from a dealer who knew a TAS writer very well, and the writer knew the people behind the OJC program. The first series of OJC reissues have c-dates of 1984 and 1985, and originally came with Japanese Style OBI strips. These did not have a bar code on the back. (I have several). Subsequent titles have “Remastered by Phil DeLancie” or similar in the fine print, with a c-date of 1986 and later. 1986 seems to be the demarcation point between analogue and digital conversion. The first OJC CDs were released in 1986. I have compared early and later OJC pressings to original or period pressings. There are differences. In general air and ambience suffer, but bass is deeper and cleaner, backgrounds are very quiet. Digital OJC sound strident and brittle, with less depth.

jasonsouza77 and AnalogJ like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

So third hand, maybe fourth hand info versus what Steve says. Guess who I'm gonna believe over that.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  10. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

It's difficult to be certain as we both bought them some time ago. The sleeve is different from mine as it has the old OJC logo on the front whilst mine is plain. There's also no bar code on the back should anyone come across one in a shop and wants to take a chance.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

The TAS writer relayed what he learned from the source (Concord/Fantasy). The Dealer and the writer were close friends. I was a frequent visitor (and client) of the shop, and got to know the Dealer. Given the nature of our relationship, there was -0- motivation to extract an extra $10 from me by saying "anything" to make a sale. In fact his disclosure caused me to NOT purchase several titles from him. We have already seen facts come to light in this thread and others that contradict statements by those who should have been in a position to know.

12. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Lack of a bar code is good. Always check the C Date in the fine print. Late 80's and certainly in the 90's would indicate digital as the remastering source.

13. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I finally got around and bought a new copy of Tenor Madness OJC LP (regular black LP, not the Newbury Comics on red) from one of my local record stores and can confirm 100% that it uses the DCC stampers with Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray etched in the dead wax. If anyone is still looking for a copy, check the back of the album and ensure it has "LP 7047" and "OJC-124".

14. jasonsouza77

is it something like this? this one has the lp7047 and ojc 124. thanks
    p.s. seems like the 1984 ojc release has the same numbers as the dcc stamped one Sonny Rollins Quartet - Tenor Madness a friend mentioned that if you bought from a shop selling current stock like amazon, you will receive the dcc one. if u bought from a shop selling sealed old issues then u may not get the dcc version. hmm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Yes. this is exactly what it looks like, but with the barcode printed in the bottom right corner on my copy.

Even if you did buy the 1984 OJC pressing, you'd still get an all-analog cut (Steve Hoffman confirmed that 99.9% of OJC cuts during that time are all-analog). According to the Discogs, it doesn't state that the cut was done by George Horn which I'm sure still needs to be confirmed by somebody else if they look at the dead wax. After all, Discogs is rife with missing/old/errant information since the site is open collaboration ala Wikipedia.

quicksrt and jasonsouza77 like this.
  16. jasonsouza77

hi nosliw, I just received and played my ojc copy of waltz for debby. I must admit it exceeded my expectations tremendously. evans piano sounds so natural and the bass is full and tight. I said aloud "WOW" to myself just barely 30 seconds into the opening track. now I just gotta hunt down for more OJCs. paid 17 bucks US for mine. cat nos are ojc210 & rlp9399 and there is etched g1a in the deadwax :)

nosliw likes this.
  17. jasonsouza77

18. jasonsouza77

hi everyone. if it says remastered by phil delancie on the back sleeve is it still analog cut? so far ive seen one ojc series that is definitely from a digital remaster the ojc ltd ed series like this one Teo Macero With The Prestige Jazz Quartet - Teo - thanks

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That is not a digital cut. It's analog. They may say that it's cut from digital on the artwork as they often copied the CD artwork.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  20. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I know I'm not saying anything new here but it's such a shame that this series became a massive minefield. The good old ones I have are wonderful but I bought plenty of the poor ones years back while trying to make sense of it all. It's really difficult to know what you're getting when buying online which is basically the only way you'll ever find the originals on this side of the pond. It seems like the only way to really be sure is if the obi is still present but I can't imagine the majority of buyers kept those by a long shot.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  21. jasonsouza77

ok thanks for yr kind reply

22. jasonsouza77

yes I agree. only got 1 so far. waltz for debby. no barcode no delancie no GH in the deadwax. it sounds so awesome (like a mofi or AP pressing) that theres only 1 thing on my mind right now - to acquire more ojc titles:p

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

What are the runouts on your copy exactly?

24. jackieboy

jackieboy Forum Resident

Why do you insist on this? Steve said 80’s and 90’s ojc vinyl is AAA. Some guy in a record store didn’t tell him this, he knows from working with these master tapes for years.

Maybe someone faked the notes in the tape boxes to throw us off the trail?

bjlefebvre and Henny like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Copyright date doesn't mean anything. The Concord OJCs from new metalwork that are newer lacquer cuts sourced from digital have the same copyright dates as the old LPs, as they are using old cover and back cover scans. Even the spines have those same dates. Not a good way to tell anything at all...