OK, how 'bout the stupidist or dumbist record of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazort, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

AAArgh! It's the worst, even the thought of it.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That is one of my favorite records of all time. I do have the Mini-LP (a 12" EP with the song) and the 45rpm single of it (the B side of the 45 isn't even on the EP).

3. BradOlson

I love that song too Jimbo.

4. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Okay- I missed most of this thread- and I see someone already mentioned "There Coming To Take Me Away", but I always thought that "Hello Mudda" was pretty stupid even though it gets more play in the summertime.

What about Paul Anka- "Having My Baby" from 1974? I was 16-17 then, and POP was the big thing then, BUT I HAD NO USE for that song. Now... "Afternoon Delight" was different story...

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

After the brilliant "Mr Jaws", Dickie Goodman was not heard from again around these parts.

6. BradOlson

BTW, one of my favorite CD's in my collection is the Dukes of Hazzard cast album which does have some silly stuff on it and is just like watching the show if any of you remember it. It is my favorite TV show of all time as I'm a country bumpkin at heart.

[​IMG]

7. Grant

It wasn't any hit as far as I can tell. All I recall from th late 80s is George Michael, Madonna, NWA, Tone Loc, Paula Abdul, Fine Young Canibals, and New Kids On The Block. Anyway, it's all that was played around here. In 1990 I absolutley stopped listening to radio until 1998.

8. Grant

Hmmmm, I never would have guessed it!:D

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

"Dear Mr. Jesus" by Powersource peaked at #61 in 1987-88, but was something of a radio phenomenon, depending on where you live. The Billboard Top Pop Singles book says the lead vocal was by 6-year-old Sharon Batts, and was originally recorded in 1985.

10. BradOlson

Now here's Boss Hogg and Rosco P. Coltrane trying to get the attention of all of you.

11. RDK

RDK Active Member

You've all posted some really great bad/stupid/dumb songs (though i'll admit that a few are guilty pleasures!) but i can't believe no one's mentioned "Tiptoe through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim! A huge hit at the time, and i admit to digging it when i was, like, five, but lord is it painful to hear over thirty years later. The most amazing thing, though, is that it's the "best" track on Tiny's album.
    Ray

12. Grant

That explains why I never heard of it. It didn't get any radio play around here. Also, most stations then were heavily formatted.

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'd MUCH rather see a photo of Cousin Daisy. Ooooooooh. Daisy.
    Daisy and smashing cars. What more could a 12 year old boy want! Yeah, it was one of my faves too:D
    Dan C

14. BradOlson

Here's your request.

15. Grant

Bradley, you're scaring me!:D

16. BradOlson

Thanks Grant. First Boss Hogg and Rosco tried to do their tricks on us and now Daisy turned it all around. :)

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

All,

Nothing wrong with a little tasteful "cheesecake" donning this bandwidth. I guess I will have to snap up that Dukes of Hazzard album...

Bob ;)

18. BradOlson

The CD is still in print. Check your local CD shop or CDNow, Amazon and their ilk.

19. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

Just for fun, I put together a CD entitled "duds". Some of my choices--Hot Pork Sandwiches by Tanita Tikaram, Lovely Meter by Steppenwolf, Find Someone to Love by Three Dog Night, Follow Your Daughter Home by The Guess Who, Could'nt Make Her Stay, by Foghat, Pigeon Song by America, and many others. Performances so bad, judgment so poor that the disc is tremendous fun to listen to. Songs so bad that you may never forget them. These are tracks that meet the following criteria:inane lyrics, style totally unsuitable for the band, and/or ridiculously poor production. If anyone wants a copy, e-mail [email protected].

20. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Did anyone mention:

...Saba, Sibby, Saba...Doobie Abba Dabba...Good Morning Starshine!

I know... it's someone's FAVORITE! ;)

I always hated the Sonny & Cher lyric : ..."Electrically They Keep A Baseball Score"... and the Beat Goes On!!!

And furhermore: "Glippy Glap Gloopy... Nibby Nabby Nooby... :rolleyes:

21. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

"If It Ain't One Thing ... It's Another," by Richard "Dimples" Fields (Boardwalk Records, 1981 or so??)

This song (which for some reason is included in Dave Marsh's book The Heart of Rock & Soul: The 1001 Best Singles) has some of the most unintentionally funny lyrics I've ever heard. If you hear it on his Mr. Look So Good album, you're treated to a double-length version that features some truly excruciating sermonizing after the song proper ...

(shudder)

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

How about "We Are Thee Champions" by the LA Dodgers after winning the world series

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I love that line! I always think "How OLD IS this song?!? O-M-G!!" I think Sonny & Cher came from the Flintstones age. Seriously, Cher is tall, Wilma is tall.... Sonny is short, so is Fred..... Wilma is smart, Sonny is not (well his TV personna wasn't!)hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

24. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

..."Electrically They Keep A Baseball Score"... and the Beat Goes On!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary says:
    "I love that line! I always think "How OLD IS this song?!? O-M-G!!" I think Sonny & Cher came from the Flintstones age. Seriously, Cher is tall, Wilma is tall.... Sonny is short, so is Fred..... Wilma is smart, Sonny is not (well his TV personna wasn't!)hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????"

I think Sonny Bono was also "toying" with lyrics such as:

Electronic ignition systems ...Cher won't change "points" no more!

With "holes" in the floorboards, Cher's feet get mighty sore!

Hmmmmm?
    ...Sonny did wear animal skins, had a long "mop" of hair (1965-ish)...and kinda looked like a Caveman....

Gary, I think you may have a point there! :D

25. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Grandmas' all time favorite - Little Blue Man by Betty Johnson. Used to bounce me on her knee and sing this one.
    God rest her soul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.