OK, I’m a “dust cover off” convert...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Blue, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know the prevailing (though certainly debated) conventional wisdom seems to be that turntables should be played with the dust cover removed. I had been in the “yeah, mabye, but we have dry, dusty air in winter/I have a hairy, slobbery dog” camp of dust cover down. I thought it was important to protect my records from airborne dangers while playing.

However, after a long time of reading suggestions, some on this very forum, that actually removing the dustover completely, as opposed to just opening it, could improve noise and help prevent feedback, I thought I’d just see how easily the thing comes off of its hinges (super easy, it turns out; I had just never bothered to try).

Look, it certainly could be continued benefits of the system changes I have made within the last week (biwired speakers, added subwoofer), but everything seems to sound more open and natural with the cover off, in a way I could definitely attribute to noise and feedback reduction. If nothing else, it definitely eliminates whatever vibration I was introducing by closing the lid after lowering the cue lever (I could usually get it closed before the stylus hit the groove and started actually picking anything up, but I would sometimes hear some rumble at first, much more noticeable since adding the subwoofer).

So, silly question, but where do you guys typically put your dust cover while you are using the turntable? Do you have a designated spot, or do you just put it down wherever you find some room? I’ve now landed solidly on the side of keeping it off while playing, but as a minor practical matter, it’s kind of inconvenient to have to find a spot to put it that won’t scratch the acrylic (at the moment, I’m kind of stuck using whichever furniture we’re not sitting on, which is not ideal...).

LitHum05, HenryH and bluemooze like this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I will usually just set it on top of a record box. If you are concerned about scratching it, maybe put down a soft cloth before resting the dust cover on it.

Big Blue likes this.
  3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I recently just started leaving my dust cover open as well. Not sure it's made a huge difference for me but it does seem a bit better. Could easily be confirmation bias. But I'm really suspicious as to whether there would be a big difference between leaving it open and removing it entirely.

4. Big Blue

The arguments I have seen are that when open, it can sort of dish soundwaves and catch more vibration from the air, like a sail. Also, depending on how squishy your turntable’s feet and/or whatever isolation you have under it are, the weight of the cover open can sort of tip everything toward the back (of course, you can confirm this with a level and adjust as needed).

There could be some psychosomatic embellishment beyond the real physical differences, including the fresh spring air just making life in general feel nicer, but it does feel like the music is being allowed to breathe a little more with the cover off, if that makes sense.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

The dust cover is clearly a feedback “magnet” so it’s removal definitely improves signal purity and resonance and “opens up” the sound and enhances spacial definition.
    But I don’t stop there.
    I position the detached plexiglass cover on its edge about three inches (6-7 cm) away from and behind the turntable, with the concavity (opening) of the cover facing forward. This essentially functions as a negative waveform interference “sink” by trapping and dissipating ambient vibrations and also by stabilizing micro airflow near the tone arm. It’s amazing in its effect. Music just sounds clearer, more open, subtle. And it costs nothing!

6. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Say what???o_O

7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

This is sarcasm right?

8. Johnny Action

What do you mean?

9. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

He's asking, "are you for real...?" The question had crossed my mind also. If it is, you're pretty good. If not, you're still pretty good...

I put your post just below the story about the Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator...

LitHum05, WapatoWolf, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  10. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

I have more issues with dust getting on my records, so I put the cover down the moment I cue the record.

englishbob, AidanB, Myke and 2 others like this.
  11. Big Blue

I’m seeing how it goes, and this may be something I have to do one way or the other depending on environmental conditions. I’m also not opposed to just brushing the record again before removing it after play.

12. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Linn states right in their turntable instructions to always remove the dust cover when playing LP's as it colors the sound somewhat. I've always removed mine, never tried playing a record with it on so I don't know if there is a sonic difference but if the manufacturer says to remove it there must be a reason. Granted the LP12 is a suspended suspension table so maybe that also makes a difference compared to a solid suspension table.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Always run naked! Way sexier.
    [​IMG]
    I did pick up a Michell Unicover I use when not spinning. The RP8 outer base and dustcover are packed away in the box.

14. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

You don’t have a garage you can pull it into?

[​IMG]

15. Johnny Action

Don’t knock it until you try it. The proof is in the hearing. But you have to remember to push that vertically stabilized dust cover at least 3 inches back from where the turntable plinth ends. That is crucial. Otherwise, you won’t hear the benefit.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  16. theprivateer

theprivateer Active Member

Dust cover off makes a huge difference especially if it’s a lighter weight table and close to speakers.

Granted if you’re not an attentive listener or your setup is less revealing, you’re not gonna notice. Dust problems? Maybe it’s not really my place to say, but it sounds like a housekeeping issue...

Big Blue and Sugar Man like this.
  17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’ve been a huge dust cover off person but recently I pulled out my boxed up Technics and have used the dust cover for the first time. It’s been about two months now I miss my VPI and will be installing it shortly.

I have two big dogs and a cat along with two robot vacuums. I really like no dust cover or perhaps the Classic. I’ll be glad to have it back.

18. theprivateer

theprivateer Active Member

I’ve been told that for hefty tables like the Technics, dust cover on shouldn’t matter...but maybe it does!

19. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Nick Brook, Shawn and Old Rusty like this.
  20. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

When not in use, the dust cover is closed. When playing an LP, I leave it open.

If someone is closing it because of there is THAT much dust and debris floating around the room, you might need to worry about your lungs more than some silly LP and turntable. I mean it shouldn't collect that must dust during play, but if there is never a cover then dust might become an issue.

Now if it were my room mate's room, dust would be an issue. I have to go in there with a flame thrower to battle the dust monsters that reside in there. You can hear them scream as I burn them alive.

Removing and installing the dust cover regularly would seem to invite damage. Of course taking anything apart unnecessarily can invite problems.

21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I have the opposite experience.

22. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

What you really want to do is buy a Nottingham Analogue turntable and cover, get it home and install the arm then drop the cover on its corner, cracking it - after five minutes of it being home!

monte4 and Big Blue like this.
  23. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

WARNING: This video contains scenes that some viewers may find disturbing.

Dust cover ON only in this case:

Or if you need more static, resonance and muddy sound.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  24. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

It took me less than two minutes of listening via headphones to clearly hear the muddy distortion when the cover is on and closed vs. off entirely.

I put the cover on a desk next to my rig while playing; the currently-playing disc's inner sleeve sits on it. I lay the cover back on the turntable when not playing.

My house is very dusty and cat-infested, but I've never noticed an accumulation of dust or hair on the disc from playing uncovered.

Interestingly, if my head is less than a foot from the cartridge while a disc is playing but the amp is muted, I can faintly hear the music! However, I can't possibly hear it from my normal listening position.

Big Blue likes this.
  25. Big Blue

The dust cover on my turntable is designed for the hinges to slide right out, no screws or clips or anything involved. Honestly, I’m not sure what the point of it being hinged is if you’re supposed to remove it, anyway. I guess to give us choices?

As for whether it’s THAT much dust, I tend to get overprotective and take a zero-risk stance on things like that. Likewise, with the dog, my fear is that she will shake herself off and send a ton of little hairs into the air, some of which may then float to the record’s surface while it is playing, or that she will send a gob of slobber flying across the room, which will then land on my precious grooves. Or, heaven forbid, walk past with her tail wagging and slap the tonearm.

This is mainly paranoia and over-precautiousness, based on a morsel of real risk that honestly hasn’t proven to be warranted. So far, the sonic benefits are outweighing the risk, and I am finding myself able to relax and let go of my fears.

Alan2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.