OK, so many vinyl fans, but who's just DONE with it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I can understand this POV.

The whole "ritual" thing isn't that important to me.. I listen to (and record) vinyl because I like the sound of it, which I assume makes sense to most people here since it is an audio format after all.

The large album art and liner are nice perks but it's not the main reason for dealing with the initial cleaning, the occasional pop/click, pulling out the exacto knife occasionally etc.

Don't want to go into that hardware rabbit hole either as then I'll spend more time tweaking than just listening, and the listening part is what I'm in it for.

Spin Doctor and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Yeah. I recognized it.

Having killer vintage/modern gear still pays massive dividends. Did i have a few years of tweaking/repair bills/swapping out? Of course i did. That's the oxygen of being passionate about this hobby. There are no shortcuts to getting the best quality and outcome you can afford. Audiophilia 101, if you will.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  3. libertycaps

:confused:And "pulling out the exacto knife" :confused:
    The most aggressive thing i'd ever put to vinyl is a wet thumbnail.

SirMarc likes this.
  4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Yeah, what in hell are you using that exacto knife for?

SirMarc likes this.
  5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Many of my records whether bought used or new have no audible surface noise that I'm aware of, no clicks or pops or whatever. Many have little surface noise that don't bother me at all. Many have too much surface noise and these I don't listen to.

What I really dislike are records that were not properly played and have some groove damage. I have a London Calling LP in which Strummers' vocals are very distorted and harsh to a point I can't listen to.

When this happens, I don't give up on vinyl. I try a different cartridge or VTA/VTF and if it doesn't work I give up on that one record and I listen to a CD or stream instead, waiting for that time that will come when I'll get a better pressing.

wgriel likes this.
  6. Them's a fightin' words! Bite your tongue and curb your thoughts!

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Badly off-center pressings.

Grant and AlmanacZinger like this.
  8. libertycaps

Lols. Yeah! Stop making so much sense, 4011021. :)

punkmusick likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

One reason I started to embrace digital (and this is recent, I'm really only starting to build a digital front end) is almost the opposite of El Jefe's comment upthread (@Steve Hoffman's comment about the records that were never released on CD): many of the obscure, proto-whatever stuff I've been digging into is now so expensive as an original pressing that I just draw the line at paying $500+ bucks for a record in VG+ condition. (I've spent some serious money on the Vertigo Swirls, and some similar high value records but was lucky to cage a fair amount of good stuff before the prices went nuts).

In some cases there are legitimate LP reissues, mostly taken from digital files. I have quite a few of those for these rare nuggets, like the Dirt Box album by Blackwater Park. The Longhair and Second Battle reissues are both from digital sources. I think the Second Battle copy sounds a little better than the Longhair, at, I dunno, 60 bucks vs. 25 bucks? I haven't bought a CD of it (yet)). But, given the nose dive on CD prices generally, if I'm already dealing with a digital copy, I could conceivably just buy the CD. And if it is an older copy, perhaps it was taken from the tape. At least it's another avenue to access some unobtanium records.
    Plus, I think it's time I joined the 21st century. (That is where we are, right?)
    As a newcomer to digital listening* I realize that it seems to do some things very well, even though a good analog copy in good condition would usually be my first choice. But then I get stunned- I got turned on to a recording called Black Ice, a recent ECM release by the Wolfert Brederode Trio. I'm not sure it is even released on vinyl. (CD and a 'hi-res' download). This thing is just stunning, musically and sonically. It's spare, it's modern sounding, but has all the sonics you'd want as a demo record. And it's very engaging to listen to.
    So, digital is actually opening more musical doors for me.
    Decoding the technological aspects, the arguments over approaches, from servers and NAS to renderers and players and DACs and cables and preferred methods of set up has been a really steep learning curve for me--I have a pretty good BS meter for analog gear and tweaks, and am always willing to be surprised, even by voodoo, but sorting the truths (and there is always more than one way) has been a fascinating process that I'm nowhere near the end of understanding. So, maybe there's that, too-- rather than the tactile pleasure of holding a 12 inch piece of flattened PVC and a cardboard jacket (which honestly takes me only so far--I don't consider myself a collector), there's an intellectual challenge to me figuring this out. (Which is a whole other subject). But, I'm having fun, hearing more, different music than ever, and it is sort of easy--my main gripe about the records I'm chasing isn't just price, it's condition and grading. I've probably come out on that score better than worse (I don't care if its a bin cheapy that turns out to be trashed, but do care if it is an expensive record). I think, ultimately, this comes back to personal preferences and priorities, what we are willing to trade off and what we most value in the listening experience.
    Some of us grew up with the LP. Some didn't. Some are coming back to vinyl after a hiatus. Some are getting into it for the first time. I'm the long time vinyl guy now learning about digital and having a great time doing it.

Nick Brook and SirMarc like this.
  10. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I haven't been done with it the last 44 years, I see no reason for that to change in the next 44. :)

SirMarc and Dude111 like this.
  11. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Hah. Been a die-hard cd fan for about 30 years and more recently flac downloads.

Ironically, just this week I have resurrected and rejuvenated a turntable that I bought 40 years ago but has been sitting in the garage for almost 25 years. I don't know why.

Today I got sound from both channels. It was awesome! Was only able to listen via headphones using a vintage Denon receiver (been in a closet for about ten years) with phono inputs.

Next step is original large Advents that were also sitting in the garage for 25 years and that are currently being restored.

Not looking for better, "warmer" sound or anything like that (although the turntable and amp sounded pretty sweet thru headphones during first tests). Mainly doing this for nostalgia, and a sense saving some formerly great gear from the landfill when I'm gone and my heirs go wtf is all this crap?

Next project after that is to do some rips of old vinyl that I haven't already replaced.

12. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I guess I should have said,I've spent way, way to much time and money already,it's time to listen now.

Gaslight and Tim 2 like this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

EEEEEWWWWWWWW.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I hedge my bets by playing FLAC files through a tube amp.

(And if there's any complaints I have some vinyl stashed away).

15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I've heard rumors that vinyl is capable of this too.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Realistically, for a myriad of reasons, I don't know how any music lover can be "done" with any given format.

Except cassette tape. Because screw that.

wgriel and curbach like this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Luckily I have an end game system and am sticking to it. So I get some of thrill of tweaking and upgrading without the never ending money drain of OCD upgrades.

...which is more than I can say for my never ending quest to find the best sounding version of Rubber Soul...

18. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

I’m hoping vinyl eclipses all other formats one day. In fact, that’s not enough....eclipses all other formats, to the point of their redundancy!
    Hmmm, even that’s tame. I wonder if there’s a parallel universe where digital doesn’t exist and never did?!? I’m sure everyone’s happier there.....

SirMarc and Jim in Houston like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I found that a round file works, but you have to use it very carefully.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm tired of vinyl (I grew up with it. I'm in my 50s), but it's still important. I realized a few days ago that I am not going to find a top 40 single in digital form, so I had to do a needledrop of it to digital.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I admit that for awhile streaming rips and downloads through the Squeezebox Touch might've overcome my vinyl playback. Old guys get lazy, y'know? But since acquiring this thing a week or so ago, I hardly do anything other then pull records to play. Stuff that I haven't heard in ages is now getting spins on this marvelous beast(Fairchild 412 for those keeping score). I don't know how long the new buyer infatuation will continue, but it's nice to get reacquainted with stuff I hadn't listened to in way too long.

[​IMG]

troggy, SirMarc, wgriel and 3 others like this.
  22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I sold my setup four months ago, and I thought that I was done with it because I haven't listened to vinyl much during the past year.

I got the bug again so a couple of weeks ago I bought a used Technics 1300 and a used Graham Slee Reflex phono stage and although it doesn't sound as good as my old setup I am enjoying vinyl more than I have for a long time.

23. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

I don't have any vinyl-related music or equipment, but I enjoy hearing about the vinyl hobby because of all the enthusiasm that is brought to the subject. It is much more intense than I remember it being back in the day.

Another thing that appeals to me about the hobby is that turntables are (or can be) the most beautiful of all audio equipment.

Fleet Fox and shaboo like this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am not done with vinyl just yet but I listen to it less often than ever, like once a week while before I used to play a record almost everyday.

I just discovered how much fun it is to listen to Tidal through a great dac and to instantly discover new albums and artists and listen to things that you always wanted to play but never got the chance to buy.

I 've been playing vinyl for 30 years now so I don't think that I will ever stop to listen to my records.

But, digital is at a point now that can sound equally good if not superior to vinyl IMO. In addition, it is more convenient not to mention cheaper. So, I see myself going more and more towards that direction in the future.

Fleet Fox and shaboo like this.
  25. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Been hotter than Hades around here, so yesterday afternoon was a good time to slink into the mancave with the missus. Spun Edie Brickell, REM Document, and Smithereens Green Thoughts. While wifey was away upstairs, mixing us up new cocktails, I sat in "my" chair and cranked up Oddfellows Local 151 off Document. There is no way in hell I'll ever be "over it." Pshaw!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.