OK, so many vinyl fans, but who's just DONE with it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

With any luck this thread will turn into a CD/digital vs vinyl because we're really short on those and I feel that's a really under-explored topic of discussion.

punkmusick, basie-fan, Kyhl and 13 others like this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The thread title confused me a bit as vinyl is a tiny part of the overall market.
    But perhaps the OP is speaking of this forum with the "so many fans" in the title.
    Personally...I'm stuck! My passion lies with the unique masterings that were only available on the vintage vinyl offerings.
    To the point of owning multiple copies of a title with different engineers,,,or even from different stampers.
    To those who are not yet vinyl addicts...I say run/stay away!!!!:righton:
    More elbow room in the used bins that way!:tiphat:

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes of course it is...... We arent here on Steve's site trying to force our views :)

Not to worry head unit,your still ok with us.. Thank you for being honest :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

When I was making the final decision what to do with my vinyl records - either to sell or donate them, or to buy a turntable for listening to them, I did an inventory.

There were several that I decided I did not care about all that much, not enough to replace.
    Of the rest, most were readily available on CD. Even rarities such as Brazilian LPs that I picked up when I was there, with a bit of searching on Discogs I was able locate CD versions of most of the ones I really wanted, at reasonable prices. They may be rare here, but not in Brazil obviously.
    There is only one LP for which I could not locate a CD equivalent anywhere - and that's up on Spotify so I can still access it and listen. That's the soundtrack from "Chariots of the Gods." I was not going to buy a turntable just for one album.
    I did also investigate the economics of using one of those services that convert your LPs to CDs. Once I got price quotes from a couple of those companies, I did not take long to reject that option.

snowman872 likes this.
  5. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What he said mate

6. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Hahaha, yeah, I had that in mind.

Just could not bloody help myself.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have no intention to stop playing records, I have 'always' played records; and with not too much surface noise, clicks and pops, I am listening through this. But this is a strictly personal matter, and I surely can see why anybody won´t buy into records.
    Most importantly I´m a bit surprised people are having opinions on what others choose to like and decide. We should not have that.
    So @head_unit, I understand You.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. harby

harby Forum Resident

Well, after I've done a needle-drop, and have cleaned up the pops and crackles and have a digital copy better then any casual playing, I'm still pretty done with them (although I still have crates with music yet to be relistened because of the work of recording them).

9. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Funny. I am actually just about done with digital. My CD collection collects dust. My records give what I remember as a little kid. People come over to visit and flip through my records with smiles and stories about what they were doing when they were released. I play something and the next thing we know, 2 hours has gone by. My vinyl is going to stay right where it it.

Tim

unsane69, broccolid, BOZMAN and 9 others like this.
  10. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

It makes sense to collect some vinyl, CDs on the other hand...

:winkgrin:

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Done? Never done, but there are times I get frustrated and take a break from vinyl. I have definitely taken a break buying new vinyl, but I still buy used vinyl when something really special pops up in the bins. I’ll always maintain a turntable no matter my frustration with vinyl. The moment when you connect with a sublime pressing makes it all worth it.

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Nope. I am not done with vinyl records, as long as I want non-brickwalled albums (no thanks to the loudness wars afflicting digital/CD versions), vinyl record-only releases (underground, live recordings, some albums, etc.), excellent AAA mastered audiophile records, LP releases with exclusive tracks, etc.

I also have no problems with digital and CD pressings as long as they sound good. But seriously, this thread is asking for a flame war.

luckybaer, AlmanacZinger and Dave S like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am done in all caps :) I have been selling off my collection for a couple of years and plan to resume when one of my partners is back from maternity leave. CDs actually take up more space than my vinyl now. After hearing a Merging NADAC there was simply no reason to keep listening to vinyl when even redbook (most of my collection) sounds so bloody good.

14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My turntable takes up approximately the same amount of space as my CD player. It’s nice-looking, even elegant. The cost of the turntable and cartridge is well within what I can afford. My records make music that sounds good. I rarely scrutinize extraneous noise or distortion. I accumulated most of my records when they were either the best, cheapest, or only format. It’s uncommon for me to replace any LP with digital. That’s pretty much the story as to why I’m not done with it.

15. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I'm done with CDs. I prefer the vinyl sound I buy used records graded at VG+ or better and pops are not that bad. I like making needle drops and I remove by hand all the pops. I admit you have to spend a lot of money and a huge learning curve setting a vinyl rig up right.

Mostly I listen to 24/96 flac needle drops and save the vinyl and hours on my cartridge. One thing vinyl is already proven to last indefinitely, CDs not so much.

Rodant Kapoor and HDOM like this.
  16. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

That’s a novel way of looking at it.

Manimal and head_unit like this.
  17. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

As I sit here listing to Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown it sounds incredible to me on vinyl. I don't think that a CD could sound as good (IMHO). It might but like Joe Walsh said "I'm an analog man" and enjoy everything that goes with it. Some people just don't have the patience for vinyl and I get that. Besides I love the art work and reading the liner notes (with out a magnifier).

ghost rider, Manimal and Shiver like this.
  18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

19. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Vinyl too satisfying and I still have plenty of energy and enthusiasm to clean stylus, records, and load those discs so my vinyl isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Manimal likes this.
  20. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Vinyl is a very curious medium. There are a number of reasons for keeping and spinning vinyl that might or might not be compelling enough for everyone to go to the trouble of acquiring, maintaining and enjoying the medium. And let’s be frank, it is a lot of work, sometimes very tedious and not always rewarding especially when dealing with used vinyl.
    But to us music lovers and musicologists there are historical and archival reasons for keeping and growing our collections. The main one for me is some of these forty to seventy yr old records were mastered when the tapes were fresh and hadn’t been ravaged by the effects of time and storage conditions. The mastering electronics were presumably in top condition and the artists who had produced the recordings were still young and in control of their faculties. So in effect those old and sometimes crackly records are time capsules that can be enjoyed over and over. For those reasons and more, I’m not done with records.
    But for those that are hey, you’re ambivalence towards the whole rigamarole of vinyl is to our benefit. Thank you!

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yeah records take up some space- get an IKEA rack and you're good for hundreds of records.
    I like to keep it simple- a good solid turntable as the base (e.g. Technics) and the hardware does require an investment- ~ $1K for a fairly good sounding table / preamp / cartridge setup. Proper setup and cartridge will absolutely minimize if not eliminate any distracting noises.
    For serious listening I just enjoy playing records much more than any other media. It works on many levels. The music takes on greater value when played on vinyl IMHO.

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Right on schedule!

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have it and it's in this CD box set.
    https://www.amazon.com/Julian-Bream...28553422&sr=1-1&keywords=julian+bream+box+set

timind and moops like this.
  24. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Who cares? There are so many choices. Formats matter a very little nowadays.

Spinning records is still the best way to connect with the music. For me at least. As much as counterintuitive this may sound. Records make for a more focused and rewarding listening. Due to an effort involved and a certain feel of the zeitgeist.

Regards

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I do; just not in the hundreds. But that's the bulk of my collection. Of course I've found a lot of cheap, used and new minty slabs of wax in the process of searching for those not-released-on-CD records I didn't already own.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.