Ok what the heck is going on with the prices of the DCC and other golds on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by johnny33, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've got several of the most desired DCC golds in sealed condition. Bought 'em a couple of years ago for <$100. Probably now worth at least 3-4 times what I paid for them. I could see it coming.

You just answered your own question. You're tempted, but still not willing to sell even at these "crazy" prices. I think that's more the rule than the exception.

At what price would you be willing to sell? 10% more? 25%? 50%? 100%?

For most part, you can throw history out the window right now. The prices are simply at something resembling an equllibrium between buyers and sellers today. Where the equillibrium was in the past is largely irrelevent.

As I said earlier in this thread, the number of people that want these discs is considerably greater than it was even a year ago (let alone 4 or 5 years ago) -- yet the number of people willing to sell has considerably diminished. Hence the drastically increased market price. Unfortunately, folks new to the game will only be able to pick up a few of their most desired discs rather than most of them (kind of like going to "big name" concerts these days -- you can't go to all of them, so you pick those that are most important to you).

2. pablo

pablo Forum Resident

The world is awash with capital these days. Maybe an exaggeration, but I read recently of Japanese businessmen paying $1000 for an omelet. What is a $300 MFSL Pink Floyd The Wall to a person that has the disposable income to spend thousands for one dinner. It depends on your perspective.

These discs will not be manufactured again, and conceivably could last long enough to be willed to future generations. The value is not just in the music. It is a manufactured artifact whose supply is inherently limited.

Like my Yellow Submarine laser disc. The chances of that even being played again are swiftly diminishing, but when do you think the price for that will take off?

3. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

You're quite right. Or is it debt?
    You could see it as fiat curency becoming devalued, rather than CD's going up in price if you were so inclined. Inflation of many assets has gone bonkers since 2001.

4. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I dunno. Haven't seen any current increase in capitol for me or most of my peers:confused:

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

6. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

7. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow on the Tull - and a UDII to boot!

9. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

And it wasn't even sniped. :)

10. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

crazy......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=200120715360
    Tommy [Gold Disc CD] - Who (The) (CD 1990) MFSL MINT
    $250

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=200118735393
    Synchronicity [Gold Disc CD] THE POLICE MFSL SEALED
    $266.66

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=200118741690
    Aja [Gold Disc CD] - Steely Dan (CD 1988) JAPAN MFSL
    $162.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=200118749857
    The Pretender [Gold Disc CD] - Browne, Jackson JAPAN
    $170 (without slipcase)

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

12. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

13. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

14. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

15. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

16. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

wow, great price...... it's a steal!

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The only thing is that the seller does not state the condition. Hopefully it's O.K.

18. KeithH

Many people collect the early Japanese gold discs and pay a premium for them. The is not all that surprising to me, especially since it's Dark Side of the Moon. I've seen this many times on eBay. The irony regarding the premium price, however, besides it having a common mastering, is that it is probably the most common of those Japanese gold discs. I see it on eBay regularly.

19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Yes, that is a risk, I've taken a chance before and it's been OK. I'm not a condition freak, so long as the disc plays with no problems that is the most important thing for me. If there are major problems then it's going back. Of course, I had forgotten about the likely customs charge and I can't really afford it, but a DCC Endless Summer is coming my way - I'm excited!

Tom

20. KeithH

Wow. Tommy is not rare, especially in UDII form. Near-mint UD and UDII copies sell for $30-40. That's some premium to pay for a sealed disc that is not all too rare. Ditto for Synchronicity.

I guess things are changing with gold discs, or maybe this is just an aberration on eBay. Last year, a few sellers were offering sealed MFSL longboxes (UD, not UDII) with opening bids in the $175 to $200 range and could not move them. The auctions would close with no bids. I remember a UD of Synchronicity coming up again and again (at least one copy, possibly more than one from multiple sellers).

On the flip side, I picked up the DCC Ringo the other night on a Buy It Now for $199.99. It was advertised as excellent-near mint with the slipcase, and the seller is established. It was up for 23 minutes before I snagged it. Now, $199.99 is not exactly a steal, but that's not too bad for Ringo these days.

21. KeithH

I paid quite a bit more for my copy recently.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Floyd MFSL for $699 does take the cake. Obviously, the Japanese MFSL obi is very rare; and it's sealed. I don't think that the overall prices for used open MFSL discs is that out of control. The sealed stuff is crazy, but that should not concern audiophiles -- don't we actually want to listen to it?

23. KeithH

Listen? :biglaugh:

;)

24. proust78

proust78 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.