Ok what the heck is going on with the prices of the DCC and other golds on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by johnny33, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

lol if it wasn't for spell check I would be in trouble myself. I can't spell very well.

2. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Yeah, sealed isn't necessarily new. I picked up a Coltrane Giant Steps MFSL CD on ebay that was sealed. I made the mistake of assuming it was new. It wasn't. I think I would have complained to the seller but I left it sealed for about 2 years after I bought it. :rolleyes:

3. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I wrote mobile fidelity and they said they know for a fact there are fakes out there.

4. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

I actually know the guy who ended up with MFSL's shrinkwrap machine when they went under in 1999. I know he has it for sale too, for something like $4,000. He has a lot of cool stuff from back in the day. Just ask wkohler, who has a 5' x 5' UHQR painting commissioned by MFSL.

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I bought a "factory sealed" cut-out copy of the DCC Everly Bros. disc off of ebay a couple years ago. It was only $15, so I thought I did pretty well. And frankly, I didn't really care if it was sealed or not, or that it was a cut-out, since I was buying it to hear it, not necessarily for any future collectability value.

At any rate, when it arrived, I noticed that the cut-out was actually under the seal - that is, the seal itself was unbroken. So clearly, it was a re-seal job. Again, it didn't personally matter to me, since I was going to rip the seal off, and I didn't specifically buy it because of its supposed "new" condition, but I did leave a neutral feedback for the seller and noted the deceptive description. (And for my trouble, I was reqarded with a neutral feedback in return!)

It's one thing to claim something is sealed, implying that it's new, but still being able to say, "Hey, I didn't say who sealed it." But to state outright that it's a "factory seal" would mean that it's brand-new and never been opened. Advertising it as such, when it isn't, is absolutely wrong, in my book.

6. wkohler

wkohler Forum Resident

You know, $15k may have seemed like a lot for my collection of 320 discs when I advertised it for sale, but looking at these prices, it wasn't. Glad I kept it. I'm not good when I get impulses. That's how I spent $1200 on a turntable I can't use!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.