Okki Nokki One RCM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robber Soul, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone had first hand experience with the Okki Nokki One record cleaning machine?

I was all set to go with a Pro-Ject VC-S2 ALU, but availability seems to be non-existent and nobody can provide me an ETA of any kind on it. Therefore I have looked into other machines and seem to like what I'm reading about the Okki Nokki One and can get one locally in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of videos out there on it. Not surprising I guess since it is fairly new. I've heard some knocks on the previous version relating to motor issues and wondered if anyone had feedback on the new "One" version.

Thanks in advance.

displayname likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm kind of curious as well. They are available in the EU. Which makes sense since Okki Nokki is a Dutch company. They would have to spec out a 110V motor for NA. And it would be easier to handle production issues if they didn't have to hop on a plane (you know those things that spread pandemic germs) for the initial release. The part I'm most curious about is the wand that handles 3 different size records. I have a MkI Okki Nokki with 3 different wands. There is also another issue with the new clamp. It's supposed to cover then entire label. But 7" records have different size labels. So, this is more of a curiosity on how this is managed.

Robber Soul likes this.
  3. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I have the Okki Nokia ONE and could not be more pleased with it.

You can choose between the full-size and the label-size platter (both are included), the all-in-one switch is terrific, the vacuum runs very quietly, and the brush is very good. It comes with a lid and the wand works with 7, 10 and 12 inch records - so no expensive Pro-ject add-ons.

Best of all it does a great job of cleaning records.

I could not be more pleased with mine.

Edit: @vinylontubes the label sized cover can be removed leaving just the screw down part. I think that you would have to use just that for 7 inch records although I have not tried it as yet. The clamp would not then cover the entire label of course.

It also comes with an adapter for 7 inch records that gave had the centre punched out (for jukebox use, etc).

clercqie, Callahan, GyroSE and 5 others like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wonder what the difference is in operation and cleaning performance between the original and One models. And especially noise-wise.

MGW likes this.
  5. MGW

I've no experience of the original but the ONE is very quiet, pretty much Miele vacuum cleaner quiet, and my Los come out the other side of the process with very little, if any, surface noise.

Robber Soul likes this.
  6. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Also very curious about this one. I bought a Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU earlier this year that I've had nothing but problems with - I wish this one would have been available when I did my research and eventually pulled the trigger.

I guess the only problem would be that there doesn't seem to be a good way of covering 7"/45 labels.

Hard to know when this one will be available in the US I guess given the current situation. Would love to read some reviews and see some videos.

displayname and Robber Soul like this.
  7. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Thanks for this, this is really helpful!

I really want to get one, but can’t work it where I’d put it. Is it quite large?

MGW likes this.
  8. Robber Soul

Thank you very much for your informative reply. These are exactly the kind of things I was hoping to hear about.
    It's very appealing since what I've read mentioned that it is really quiet and I love that it appears to include everything I would want and need. Maybe it's a blessing I wasn't able to get the Pro-Ject as I originally planned.
    Between now and the time I posted, I found a shop that already has 3 on order and is willing to sell one to me for a much cheaper price. The only downside is that they aren't expected to arrive until December. But based on the price,
    it's worth the extra wait.

MGW likes this.
  9. Robber Soul

Sorry to hear about the issues with your VC-S2 ALU. Did Pro-Ject or the retailer you purchased from take care of everything?
    As far as the Okki Nokki goes, this is probably the best of the limited number of videos I've found on it. And as a little side note, the mini platter shown around the 5:00 mark is the other platter that can be used.

RC2257, displayname and Henrik_Swe like this.
  10. MGW

I've just picked out six random 7" records and mated each side up to the clamp and cover label cover (so a small sample of 12). In each case the label cover covers the label and part of the runout groove (obviously). But at least 7mm (measured on the diameter between the outer edge of the disc and the spindle) of the runout groove was still showing and available to be cleaned. Clearly this will not clean all of the runout groove but for me that would be sufficient.

You are most welcome. As for size 33cm wide by 33cm deep by 24cm high (with the lid on).

You too are most welcome.

I think that if you do decide to buy the Okki Nokki ONE you will have no regrets. And yes it is really quiet.

LivingForever and GyroSE like this.
  11. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I looked at the One when I was shopping, but the only option for the US was to pay the distributor now with an unknown delivery date, which I really wasn’t comfortable with.
    I have no idea of their first set of units has arrived yet or not. If they still haven’t delivered their first set, then I’m very glad I moved on because I’ve been regularly using my Project VC-S2 alu without any issues for 2-3 months now.

12. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the video, interesting to see it in action. Too bad it wasn't more of a (thorough) review, but I'm sure that will follow soon in Europe.

Will get back to this if you or anyone else want to hear more about it, it's a long story - but the short answer is: No, not really. It's been a nightmare getting this figured out and it's been 3-4 months since I bought it.

Thank you for this invaluable information, this is indeed sufficient for me too.

I feel the same way after all my ordeals with the Pro-ject RCM, so I'd never buy it without reviews, videos etc.

Do you notice any difference in how effective it is, if comparing the different formats? Thanks for the input also!

Also - does anyone know which company that ON has partnered up with as for repairs, issues, questions etc?

13. MGW

I have not noticed any difference in effectiveness between formats but have only used it on 12" and 10" thus far, but do not see any reason why it would be different for 7".

I asked the retailer about repairs, etc before I purchased and in the UK it is the responsibility of the distributor, which happened to be the same company/group. At present I believe that due to limited supply the distributor us only selling via their own retail outlet.

14. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

My original Pro-ject vc-s has stopped working. The motor has died and the particle board wood body has swollen in many areas. Has anyone received the One since Okki Nokki has posted about production delays due to covid-19? I just don't want to allot $600 to them and find out that it'll be a year+ for the unit to arrive. Best to all.

displayname likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The ONE seems like a complete improvement to me as long as the suction is strong enough. Actually looks more attractive than any other Vacuum machine Ive seen as it takes all the good aspects from previous designs.

16. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I was reading up on the Squeaky Clean. How often do the more expensive units break? I guess they really do break down.

For me, the Squeaky Clean is pretty much gonna last and last and last. Can always get another $49 vac, but I have never worn out a stand alone vac either...

bever70, zeram1 and displayname like this.
  17. Robber Soul

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I'm told now it should be in mid January.

zeram1 likes this.
  18. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

May I ask how long ago you ordered your ONE and if you ordered directly from OKKI's distributor? I ask for now their website claims "no ETA"

displayname likes this.
  19. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Mine should be here any day now, I ordered it from a Dutch online shop and it's on its way. Will report as soon as I have it.

zeram1 likes this.
  20. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Personally, I would hold your breath for North America orders. If I'd ordered one previously, I would have requested a refund by now.

I had a squeaky clean prior to my Pro-Ject. Requires more effort and is unsightly to leave out on display, but it cleaned every bit as well as my Pro-Ject does now. It has its drawbacks being a more manual device, but the tradeoffs are absolutely justified by the significantly lower cost.

bever70 and zeram1 like this.
  21. WhatDoIKnow

In Europe online shops give a "first quarter 2021" date but it would also appear that there's a big list of pre-orders and that it's first-come-first-served so I don't know whether they are now widely available or not; I gather that the first batch was in shops (possibly the ones that had placed a pre-order?) immediately after Christmas and that's why I am waiting for mine to arrive.
    Of course we would all have appreciated an update or two in the meantime but from what I read it was delayed by the covid emergency.

zeram1, displayname and MGW like this.
  22. Robber Soul

I contacted and bought one from a local Okki Nokki dealer in late October who already had 3 on order. I talked to him this morning and he is saying that he was told he should receive his order next week. Fingers crossed!

zeram1 and displayname like this.
  23. MGW

The first batch was way back in July, which was when I got mine via the UK distributor.

zeram1 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  24. WhatDoIKnow

That explains the very few reviews I found online - they are dated June or July.

MGW likes this.
  25. WhatDoIKnow

Finally got my Okki Nokki ONE :goodie:
    I had to wait for the L'Art du Son to arrive and I've just finished my first round of record cleaning. After reading a couple of threads here on SH I very quickly got the hang of things and I am completely satisfied with the machine.
    I cleaned a mix of new and old, bought new and second hand, even a 1964 Atlantic mono pressing of "Saturday night at the uptown" which I bought on ebay many many years ago and which I had never actually played because of how bad it looked. Now, of course neither the Okki Nokki nor the ADS performed any miracle, but knowing that it was at least clean gave me the confidence to put my turntable on it - what a great record!
    Anyway, thank you @MGW and thank you @Leonthepro for your invaluable advice! :wave: